Cast when damage taken + frost wall keeps getting me killed

I thought this way this combo was supposed to work is that when a mob triggers it, frost wall is cast on the mob that deals damage to you?

Then why do i keep seeing this happen :

-Mob hits me, activating frost wall

-Frost wall is cast on me, pushing me toward the mob

-Im trapped on the wrong side of the frost wall and cant run away because im being blocked in by my own frost wall

I just died because a melee mob ran up to me, hit me, activating frost wall on me, which pushed me TOWARDS the mobs, and then i was trapped on the wrong side of it and getting pounded by the boss.

This seems to completely defeat the point of a defensive gem setup. Is this a bug?
Last bumped on Apr 19, 2018, 12:16:28 PM
I suppose you´re using shield charge. You can use FW manually if needed or use movement skill that can pass through wall (flame dash, WB, LS)
Huh? Im not using shield charge.

Why is frost wall doing this? Its not supposed to cast on me is it? Im tired of dying because of it.
Last edited by Question2 on Apr 16, 2018, 9:06:03 AM
Frost Wall always blocks the player and if Frost Wall is triggered via CWDT the walls will always appear where you have taken enough damage to proc CWDT, this is not a bug.

You will need a movement skill that allows you to get over the walls (Leap Slam, Lightning Warp, Flame Dash) or to pass through Frost Wall (Cyclone).

Another solution: Add Phase Run to your CWDT/Frost Wall setup. Make sure Phase Run is placed after Frost Wall in the chain. So when the Frost Wall triggers you will also get Phase Run. While you have Phasing (during the primary phase of Phase Run) you can just run through the Frost Walls (and enemies). Do not perform any skills until you're safe or Phase Run will immediately go into the secondary phase (which does no longer grant Phasing).
Last edited by tomay on Apr 16, 2018, 9:41:51 AM
When I first did CWDT + frost wall, I was told that it was "a common defensive gem setup" and nobody mentioned that it would block you in and get you killed...
'Common defensive set-up' is highly subjective and also time-sensitive. I haven't seen a CWDT Frost Wall in ages.

The set-up could be useful for an AotV Raider that gets Phasing all the time anyways, or with some finagling elsewhere, but randomly spawning new terrain is always going to be dicey.

Realistically, every 'common' defensive CWDT set-up has been kinda nerfed into oblivion. The only one left I see a lot is Blood Rage/iCall/Arakaali cheddar. Elsewise all the old good CWDT defensive set-ups got hammered in one way or another and are mostly bogus. Sucks but tru. Game expects you to actively defend yourself now. or rather, find enough rapid sustain that you don't need to.
cwdt frost wall is not a common setup. it could work well when a ranged monster triggers it but a melee monster will trigger it near you which can cause you problems

Im using frost wall on CoC with my recent Poets pen assassin, it works well, I also got phasing on kill jewels that mostly solve potential troubles but sometimes I have to use flame dash, or wait till I am able to collect loot. So even with ranged/phasing combo it can cause some issues
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Apr 19, 2018, 12:17:13 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info