[3.4] Devon's Shocking Lawnmower- Pure Phys Crit-Cyclone- Most content viable

Updated the build for 3.4 (still not many changes)

Decided to make a guide for a Pure Phys Slayer which turned out better than I expected.

Pros
+ works on a budget
+ boss killer
+ can do all map mods except "cannot leech" which is extremely rare
+ high sustain (leech)
+ tanky (7k+ life)
+ pretty sure it's HC viable

Cons
- maxing out somewhat expensive (*cough*Starforge*Cough*)
- totem is a bit squishy
- sometimes spin for too long :D

THE BUILD

How does it work?

Simple, Spin to win and Shock everything!
The most important interaction is of course criting while wielding a Starforge. Every time you crit you shock. Noting that the more HP the enemy has the less effective it is, but since you perform 5.5 attacks/s with a ~35% crit chance it ends up being fairly consistent.
Since we're purely physical the slayer ascendancy allows 100% physical reflect immunity. With that we're able to do most map mods without having to worry about any form of reflect.
The other notable difference from other builds is the use of Impresence where our Vulnerability + Blasphemy setup becomes free, which allows us to use blood magic with loads of life even without Kaom's Heart while preserving a high amount of DPS.

Video Guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcnVdLz45lU

Path of Building - Pastabin

https://pastebin.com/ui4qH0tt
Here you can check out the whole tree, gear, gems, enchants, damage, etc.
Basically you can see everything that I had and what you should aim for.

Leveling

Spoiler
General tips:

- prioritize Life and Resistances -> a good starting item is Goldrim, you can basically wear it to maps with the resists it provides, afterwards you want an armor based helm with life and resists
- boots should have movement speed -> Wanderlust are a great choice for starting out, later on equip armor boots with movespeed, life and some resistances
- remember to keep updating your Weapon/s (as with any attack skill)
- links are important, more links more damage -> at Act I you should have a 3L, at Act III a 4L and around Act V if you get lucky or buy one (shouldn't be too expensive) buy a 5L chest and throw an alch/essence on it

Guide:

At the very start go with Dual Wield (2x 1h weapons) and take Molten strike. Try to get a 3-link somewhere so it deals proper damage. Try to support it with Added fire + Ruthless, you will need 3 red sockets for that. When you see a big pack of monster clear them and keep going, Molten strike is great for single target as well. Remember to take Leap slam to be able to jump across gaps or ledges. Don't forget to update your weapons along the way.
Once you get the Siren's Cadance quest Nessa will give you Sunder, I suggest you take that and equip it instead of Molten strike. It is also preferable to keep using Dual Wield unless you have nice leveling two-handers (2H) like: Shiversting, Edge of Madness, Rigwald's Charge. At least until you get Cyclone in act 3.

In act 2, pick up Herald of Ash, Faster Attacks for Leap slam and Melee Physical damage for Sunder. You probably wont have a 4L yet but that's the next support you should equip once you get it. You can use Herald of Ash while leveling even alongside blood magic (if you've taken all the nodes behind it).

Once you get to act 3 get a 4-link item. Keep checking the shop for 4Ls and watch if a 4L drops from monsters. Cyclone is a Green gem and because of that the 4L item will need to be colored GRRR. Furthermore, Ruthless cannot support Cyclone so you need to switch Ruthless for Melee Physical Damage. Now your 4L item should be linked like this: Cyclone + Added Fire + Melee Physical + Maim.
If you've followed the passive tree correctly you should have no mana problems since Blood magic takes away your life instead of mana and we took Life Leech (making Cyclone free).
At this point focus on 2H weapons. Just aim for high physical damage and/or attack speed.
Once you kill Piety or finish act 3 you can go and solve all the trials and do the normal labyrinth.

At act 4 take Cast When Damage Taken and slap the Ice golem on it. Try to have your resistances as high as possible in preparation for act 5.

Act 5+ aim to get a 5L (chest preferably) so you do even more damage. The links with a 5L should be like this: Cyclone + Brutality + Melee Phys + Maim + Increased AoE/Concentrated Effect, which means the colors should be GRRRB. Note that Brutality negates the additional damage from Herald of Ash so you can remove it (that's why there is no Added fire either), overall you'll lose a bit a of damage but get your reserved life back :)

Around act 6 the weapon Rigwald's Charge can be a great asset.
After completing the Fallen from Grace quest you will have access to all gems from Lani. From here on out try to setup the gems as I have them listed below in the gear section. It's not extremely important but you should have it done by the time you reach maps, aka the end of act 10.

At act 7 you can get the rest of the trials and go for Cruel labyrinth.

Before going for Kitava in act 10 you can try to do the Merciless Lab since you wont have Kitava's curse yet.

And that's about it :)

NOTE: In the section below this one you can see the links for the whole passive tree and what you should prioritize first. It's all the same tree basically.

Passive Tree, Bandits and Pantheon

Bandits - Recommended - Kill all - 2 passive nodes (actually anything works, I prefer 2 additional nodes)

Passive Tree

~level 33 + Normal lab

~level 55 + Cruel lab

Without Vaal pact
~level 68 + Merciless lab

-level 94 + Uber lab

With Vaal pact
~level 68 + Merciless lab

-level 94 + Uber lab

Pantheon

For Bossing (aka guardians, shaper, elder) I go with:

Soul of Arakaali - for that extra recovery which synergises great with your Leech.

Ryslatha > Shakari / Gurukhan / Gruthkul

I would personally put Ryslatha above others since we're talking about bossing, but honestly they all have really slight differences and most of these are negligible.
Ryslatha is great for refilling your Worms / Blood of the Karui and using that clutch flask.
Shakari can help if you get rolls like "poison on hit".
Gurukhan provides some weak evasion that's walled behind a "when you take a savage hit" condition but movespeed could be useful dodging big things.
Grutkhul is somewhat consistent tankiness.

For Mapping: Lunaris + Gurukhan - Just for the move speed (gottagofast).

Main Links

Since the 3.3 update we can use Vaal skills instead of the regular versions, but it does not completely weed out the regular versions since the regular goes to 21/20 which in our case gives us a nice boost to AoE. Furthermore, 3.4 gave us Vaal Ancestral Warchief which we'll be using. The Vaal Cyclone alternative is also nice. There is no reason to not equip an additional 6L if you can. You will basically have a 6L regular + vaal version of Cyclone. It's arguable which one is better. Honestly I've found myself using the 21/20 gem more than the Vaal Cyclone just because Vaal is clunky. It literally (and unfortunately) locks you in place for a set period of time.

Also after testing a little bit, instead of using the Increased Area of Effect support I've been using Increased Critical Strikes for mapping. Turns out you don't lose that much AoE but get a sizable amount of DPS + ~20% extra shock chance. I highly recommend using it while mapping and even bossing up to T15. But it's up to the preference of the user so I'll leave both setups below, then you decide whether you prefer more AoE or a bit more damage and shock.

[from most important to least, prioritize like this when leveling]

1. Cyclone (6L) = Brutality > Melee Phys > Maim > Conc Effect/AoE > Crit Damage

-if you have a 5L but don't have Starforge and crit nodes then use Conc Effect/AoE before Critical damage as Crit damage wont be doing much
-if you have a 5L and have Starforge with crit nodes then use critical damage before Conc Effect/AoE. This order presumes you're criting consistently, aka crit damage will do better overall

2. Cyclone (6L) = Brutality > Melee Phys > Maim > Crit Damage > Crit Chance/Conc Effect

-Increased Critical Strikes as an alternative to the AoE gem (this setup presumes you have Starforge and crit nodes)

Vaal Ancestral Warchief (5L+1S or 6L) = Brutality + Conc Effect + Melee Phys + Maim + Portal/Ruthless
-if you have a 6L then Ruthless instead of Portal

Gear

NOTE: "Atziri's Acuity" are Best in Slot for gloves, but they are really expensive and not really necessary. If you have them though, consider equipping "The Retch" belt since it synergises well with Vaal Pact and Slayer Overleech. The chaos damage will apply despite having the brutality gem as it is considered reflected damage.
With the Acuity gloves you will have also solved your intelligence issues which enables you to get more resistances on rings (because Acuity have none).

Flasks

The worm flask is needed for Bossing so you can maintain the 20% more damage from "killed recently".

Swap the Worm flask with this one while mapping (you can do 60% reduced recovery and No leech maps with it)

Current achievements with the build:

-did 36 challenges with it in Bestiary
-killed Shaper (deathless)
-killed Red Elder (deathless)
-killed Uber Atziri (died a couple of times because I suck at the game)

Hope you guys like it, if you have any more questions feel free to ask down below.
Become the shocking lawnmower!
"Let your smile change the world, but don't let the world change your smile." -unknown
"Oh boy, here I go killin' again!" -Krombopulos Michael
Last edited by devon752 on Oct 13, 2018, 11:27:02 AM
Last bumped on Oct 7, 2018, 6:49:03 AM
Hi, nice build very close to what I've done.

I went a different route, not as much HP as your build. www.poeurl.com/bR38.

I also use Overwhelm over Bane of Legends, so I can get fortify from my belt, which I'm planning on rerolling once I have coin again.

I also use Rotgut Flask, to get me onslaught.

The end goal is to try and work out way to get Abyssus helm into the build. I can't seem to get physical damage reduction I need or life pool (my items are 40-50+ hp atm). The helm just so nice for Starforge.

I've tried Champion and Jugger, both decent I found Jugger was a beast but tad slow and Champion lacked leeching. I plan to revisit them both once I can respec my 3rd char.

What's your take on my build what am I missing as I'm tad newbie, also I run close to same items as you apart from the helmet. Rest is along same lines rare's with life/res/physical.

"
saizosol wrote:
Hi, nice build very close to what I've done.

I went a different route, not as much HP as your build. www.poeurl.com/bR38.

I also use Overwhelm over Bane of Legends, so I can get fortify from my belt, which I'm planning on rerolling once I have coin again.

I also use Rotgut Flask, to get me onslaught.

The end goal is to try and work out way to get Abyssus helm into the build. I can't seem to get physical damage reduction I need or life pool (my items are 40-50+ hp atm). The helm just so nice for Starforge.

I've tried Champion and Jugger, both decent I found Jugger was a beast but tad slow and Champion lacked leeching. I plan to revisit them both once I can respec my 3rd char.

What's your take on my build what am I missing as I'm tad newbie, also I run close to same items as you apart from the helmet. Rest is along same lines rare's with life/res/physical.

Heya thanks for checking out this build :D

I see you went for stuns and that's just fine, but I am perplexed as to why didn't you go with maces instead of swords? If you check out the mace nodes you will see that they further improve stun thresholds and stun duration. A solid weapon (although a bit weaker in dps than the starforge) is Tidebreaker, an excellent choice for a stun oriented build. In my opinion I would've gone with that as it will basically provide a 7th link, making up for some of the damage lost compared to Starforge.

Now regarding life, if you check my gear I try to get around 80hp on all my items, if you have 40-50 that's probably the main difference along with Blood Magic. If you check the nodes behind Blood Magic you will see what I mean.

Yeah Abyssus is a bit problematic but if you go with a Jugger and Tidebreaker you can get a sick combo rolling out. Tidebreaker will provide constant endurance charges, more endurance charges = more tankiness and more damage because of the Endurance charge on melee stun from Tidebreaker (it basically makes your endurance charges have 3% more damage). Also don't be afraid to put in some nodes like Armour Mastery if you need phys reduction. The life nodes toward marauder also provide a lot of armor along with life. As you can see I took them even though I'm a Slayer.

If you remain a Starforge slayer I'd recommend just getting fortify through leap slam and discard the stun nodes and go for damage. 20% cull is basically 20% more damage.

Hope this helps!
"Let your smile change the world, but don't let the world change your smile." -unknown
Last edited by devon752 on Apr 8, 2018, 5:06:47 AM
Suggested Pantheon?
"
Completed 6 Challengesdigital420 wrote:
Suggested Pantheon?

Oh! I forgot to add that. Thank you.

For bossing I suggest taking Soul of Arakaali definitely for the main one since you want that extra recovery and then either Ryslatha (synergises with Worms and Blood of the Karui, plus using a clutch flask gets a bonus) Shakari (use this one for the chaos res and poison immunity when a map rolls poison on hit), Gurukhan (speed is great) or Gruthkul (tankier a bit, although after you've been hit so whatever).

For mapping though I think the optimal setup is Lunaris + Gurukhan (gottagofast).
Last edited by devon752 on Apr 9, 2018, 11:53:38 AM
Hi OP, I'm really thinking about trying out something spinny to see if it gives me some willpower to go for 36 challenges this league.
Is there any possibility of a Kaom's Heart and an additional aura along with Vulnerability version with no Blood Magic?
I really dislike Blood Magic, and I want to facetank shit a lot, 'cause I suck at this game.
Thank you!
What is the best budget weapon to use before buying "Starforge"?
"
Completed 14 Challengesxmadruguinha wrote:
Hi OP, I'm really thinking about trying out something spinny to see if it gives me some willpower to go for 36 challenges this league.
Is there any possibility of a Kaom's Heart and an additional aura along with Vulnerability version with no Blood Magic?
I really dislike Blood Magic, and I want to facetank shit a lot, 'cause I suck at this game.
Thank you!

There is a possibility, but I wouldn't recommend it.
You have to consider that you will lose quite some DPS on your totem (since Kaom's doesn't have any sockets) for a difference of ~650HP (if you're in a HC or SSF environment then sure, go for it but for SC I wouldn't sacrifice that much damage for it). I presume you will just slap the Warchief somewhere (instead of portal or a vaal skill) for the extra damage boost. And the only aura you will probably be able to use is Haste or a defensive one like a Purity or Determination, since you don't do ANY elemental damage. But if you really want to do it then consider using an Essence Worm with an aura in it while leaving blood magic. Should give even more life.
I've provided the Pastabin in my build above, just run a few variations that suit you best while checking your dps, totem dps and your life. You should be able to come up with a combo that suits you best, even without blood magic.

"
Completed 1 ChallengeManeg wrote:
What is the best budget weapon to use before buying "Starforge"?

Since you wont be investing much into critical strikes before getting a Starforge I'd recommend taking a high rolled Kondo's pride, 5L it and it will work nicely. Goes the same for Doomsower or any other rare with an equal amount of physical DPS. It all comes down to how much you like the niche attributes of Kondo's pride.

Last edited by devon752 on Apr 11, 2018, 5:17:22 AM
Awesome build, but a quick problem:

I've been having some rotten luck getting/farming (and linking) the needed things for all these to work out, and had to fuss and make due with what I've found. So far I've had to avoid using Blood Magic in the replacement of using Mana Leech and used the excess points on Versatility with 1 point left over (Lvl 48 at the time of this post)

I've also been using and juggling Vitality, Herald of Ash and Grace (which does work until I start not paying attention and die due to my idiocy) Other than slapping my Ice Golem Onslaught and faster attacks and had been using Cleave as a primary, there isn't much else I've tried to deviate from the build.

Been the first time I couldn't accurately follow through a character build so, am I getting this right?
"
Awesome build, but a quick problem:

I've been having some rotten luck getting/farming (and linking) the needed things for all these to work out, and had to fuss and make due with what I've found. So far I've had to avoid using Blood Magic in the replacement of using Mana Leech and used the excess points on Versatility with 1 point left over (Lvl 48 at the time of this post)

I've also been using and juggling Vitality, Herald of Ash and Grace (which does work until I start not paying attention and die due to my idiocy) Other than slapping my Ice Golem Onslaught and faster attacks and had been using Cleave as a primary, there isn't much else I've tried to deviate from the build.

Been the first time I couldn't accurately follow through a character build so, am I getting this right?

I don't quite understand what the problem is after reading your post. It's not that important to get the links done other than having the cyclone setup done. A 4L should be enough to get you through all the acts (a 5L would be optimal). The primary focus should be getting life + resist on your gear.

Mana leech becomes effective the more damage you deal. If you have low damage (example a weak weapon) you wont be leeching a sufficient amount of mana. So you either need more damage or more mana leech nodes.

Also note that if you're using the Brutality gem, Herald of ash wont give you the damage bonus, only the explosions. Discard Vitality, it's weak compared to the reservation it does. Also I'm not sure what you mean by slapping Ice golem Onslaught and faster attacks. You could use onslaught instead of some support gem on cyclone, just for the speed I suppose but I personally didn't need it.

I usually do the links like this when leveling: Leap slam + faster attacks, 5L Cyclone (or Cleave), CWDT + Ice Golem and only Haste for the aura since you wont be dealing elemental damage due to Brutality. If you have a spare slot/s, slap that Warchief totem just for the bonus damage on bosses. Start linking properly once you reach maps ~lvl 68.
Last edited by devon752 on Apr 20, 2018, 4:11:04 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info