Do You Use Your Laptop Outdoors?

Just wondering. Because I have a gaming/workbook that I'm afraid will run hot out in the sun. So I use a golf umbrella like Princess Peach to try to keep it cool. Is this necessary?
Last bumped on Apr 5, 2018, 12:39:02 PM
if the little bit of extra heat from the sun makes a difference the it was running far to hot in the first place
I dont see any any key!
"
k1rage wrote:
if the little bit of extra heat from the sun makes a difference the it was running far to hot in the first place

You sound like a guy with no experience using a laptop outdoors.
If you're sitting in the middle of a black tarmac at noon in August in Arizona, then yeah - the sun and ambient temperatures will do bad things to your laptop.

If you're in the sun-dappled shade of your favorite oak tree on a brisk April day in Maine? I imagine the umbrella just makes you look like a ponce, rather than having any practical effect.

Devil is in the details, Bear. 'The Outdoors' has quite a few variables to it.
"
BearCares wrote:
Just wondering. Because I have a gaming/workbook that I'm afraid will run hot out in the sun. So I use a golf umbrella like Princess Peach to try to keep it cool. Is this necessary?

:D

no for quality notebooks
Last edited by Rexeos on Apr 4, 2018, 5:06:42 PM
"
Rexeos wrote:
"
BearCares wrote:

no for quality notebooks

I can confidently say I have a quality workstation. It's not a notebook. There is a difference. Notebooks are designed to run on low energy and to run cool. A workstation is designed for performance and therefore it will use much more energy and therefore give off a lot more heat. This is generally due to the inclusion of a discreet graphics card as opposed to integrated.

As an illustration, my elitebook uses a power brick that is about 3x as large as a typical notebook would. That is why it's capable of running Zbrush and Witcher 3 etc.

And yeah if I bring a netbook or something outside the sun won't do anything to it I already know that.

For those of you trying to give smart ass comments but you're just revealing all that you don't know.
"
BearCares wrote:
"
Rexeos wrote:
"
BearCares wrote:

no for quality notebooks

I can confidently say I have a quality workstation. It's not a notebook. There is a difference. Notebooks are designed to run on low energy and to run cool. A workstation is designed for performance and therefore it will use much more energy and therefore give off a lot more heat. This is generally due to the inclusion of a discreet graphics card as opposed to integrated.

As an illustration, my elitebook uses a power brick that is about 3x as large as a typical notebook would. That is why it's capable of running Zbrush and Witcher 3 etc.

And yeah if I bring a netbook or something outside the sun won't do anything to it I already know that.

For those of you trying to give smart ass comments but you're just revealing all that you don't know.

Workstation

"
Rexeos wrote:

Yeah, I know. You posted that just to say that I'm right? Thanks, I guess.

"
BearCares wrote:

from my understanding, commercial laptops are not design specifically for outdoor usage.
(outside a cafe, yah maybe: out in the field, unlikely) .

Unless its military-grade laptop, then yes.
Perm. Retired from this unforgiving land of the Exiles.
Self-impost EXILED.
"
BearCares wrote:

The hell are you even looking for here, man?

You asked a stupid question - "will shading my laptop with a Pretty Pretty Parasol help it run cooler outside?" Then you snarked off at everyone who answered.

I wasn't being a smartass, dude. I answer questions depressingly similar to this one all god damned day at work. The answer is always "what are you actually doing?" What counts as 'outside' to you? What ambient temperatures are you looking at? How much sunlight is involved? How prone is the laptop in question to overheating in the first place - some of them cook themselves into shutdown inside air-conditioned darkrooms because their designers are nitwits, some of them can run in an active volcano.

You provided almost no actual information, and now you're sassing folks telling you that the details you didn't provide are important, or that a competently designed machine will not care about the spare three degrees you're saving it with a Pretty Pretty Parasol. I don't use laptops anymore but when I did, I did in fact take them outside if I felt like it. Unless it was actively raining or such, I never cared about sunlight conditions, no.

You want to use the umbrella because it makes you feel better, use the umbrella. Placebo effect and confirmation bias are a powerful combination. A better idea, however, would be to avoid strong sunlight and elevated ambient temperatures in the first place. A lot of pissant-grade consumer electronics are only rated for up to 30C, which I find kinda monstrous really but them's the breaks.

Either way. Princess Peach-ing your laptop is not going to be a significant factor, no.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info