Scared yet GGG..? :)

"
Sarno wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Diablo 4 will likely be a lot more fun to play than PoE and hopefully D3

Define 'fun'. (Yes I went there.)

Because I suspect that, depending on the definition you offer, I might claim that Diablo III is already a lot more fun than Path of Exile - making your point about Diablo IV somewhat... superfluous.

I have thought D3 was more fun since RoS was released. Its def. more fun gameplay wise now. I think its superior in every aspect besides Depth. Thats not to say I "enjoy" one more than the other. I play both. When I want an economy, some depth, cool builds, I play PoE. When I want actual gameplay mechanics, and more than just hitting shield charge on something like RF, I play D3. Hell, I would go as far as to say D3's endgame is even better. There is at least a point to it. A goal. A legitimate treadmill. Everything goes together. PoE reminds me more and more of Warframe. Literally no endgame outside of economy/wealth/collecting. Sometimes thats enough. Sometimes it isn't. So I just play both games. If people here(cause it is a PoE forum) havent tried D3:RoS, and like Arpgs, they are doing themselves a disservice. It'll be really fun for a season or 2, then itll settle into the 1 month stretch I do both games in.

D4 would probably really hurt PoE. D3:RoS was really just systems tacked onto a jacked up vanilla game. I would like to see what they could do with D4 with the knowledge they have now. But hell, they havent even announced the game, and even after Blizzard announces games, it takes them YEARS to release them. So even mentioning it is a waste at this point.

But I do like both games. They each offer something the other doesn't. It actually makes it easy to enjoy both. Economy/Depth/Builds PoE, Gameplay/Polish/Endgame from D3. I know Endgame is a debatable one for people, but greater rifts, leaderboards, scaling difficulty far outweigh running maps for loot and more maps in PoE for me. Everytime I get a new GR, when I actually play, I get a sense of accomplishment I only get from PoE when I find something worth an exalt or 2.

And I'm not even playing either atm. Back to LoL, with a dab of Overwatch and Minecraft until the next league/season.
PoE is dictated by RNG?

lol

Nope. It's completely deterministic once you brute force it into large numbers territory. The same players are always at the top in new leagues and races precisely for that reason.

That "it's all RNG" bullshit is a typical example of having a way too external locus of control.

That aside, is the slotmachine mechanic addictive? Yes, very much so. PoE was built from the ground up using applied psychology and the experience accumulated from other games to make it as addictive as possible. I'm pretty sure Chris knows very well what he's doing. That's nothing new though. They simply took well-proven concepts from D1 & 2, WoW, MtG and other games and combined them in one nice little virtual heroin package.

Randomized and frequent rewards to pump that dopamine, baby.

https://youtu.be/axrywDP9Ii0
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Apr 12, 2018, 4:42:20 AM
"
Bars wrote:
PoE is dictated by RNG?

lol

Nope. It's completely deterministic once you brute force it into large numbers territory. The same players are always at the top in new leagues and races precisely for that reason.

That "it's all RNG" bullshit is a typical example of having a way too external locus of control.

That aside, is the slotmachine mechanic addictive? Yes, very much so. PoE was built from the ground up using applied psychology and the experience accumulated from other games to make it as addictive as possible. I'm pretty sure Chris knows very well what he's doing. That's nothing new though. They simply took well-proven concepts from D1 & 2, WoW, MtG and other games and combined them in one nice little virtual heroin package.

Randomized and frequent rewards to pump that dopamine, baby.

https://youtu.be/axrywDP9Ii0

Stop killing my dream, i'm feverishly waiting for RNG to turn my way so i can be number one baby.

#rollthediceonemoretime

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
edit : irrelevant

Peace,

-Boem-
Last edited by Boem on Apr 12, 2018, 8:39:42 PM
"
A game can be overtly dictated by RNG and still be very susceptible to being 'gamed' by those who relentlessly study it and try to break it.

True.

"
There's a reason we have 'professional gamblers', but I figure, as usual, you can't see anyone's stance but your own and will argue that at that level it's not really gambling anymore.

Erroneous assumption (if directed at me).

"
I agree with that but it doesn't mean it's not gambling for the average joe, which was essentially my example.

Oh, the Average Joe is pretty much fucked in PoE. It was never meant for him. The game is designed from the ground up to be as addictive and time and attention-sucking as possible and you can't really play it casually.

"
But you are utterly incapable of seeing Average Joe's perspective, because at least a few of you are deficient in the empathy department.

Being incapable of looking at things from Joe's perspective is a sign of weak theory of mind and has nothing to do with empathy. Seeing Joe's perspective and being utterly unmoved by his frustration would be low empathy :P

The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Apr 13, 2018, 2:11:10 AM
"
Bars wrote:
Seeing Joe's perspective and being utterly unmoved by his frustration would be low empathy :P

I would say this only apply's if you find Joe's frustration unwarranted.

Given the pre-conditions you listed(highly addictive, high time consuming as pre-conditions for full enjoyment of PoE) and from the position that every single starting player has to move past that frustration there is no reason to have "negative" empathy with his frustration in my opinion.

It is justified as a barrier to overcome, given the entirety of the game.

Since it's really just a feeling of frustration waiting to be transformed into game-knowledge and enjoyment for overcoming the knowledge gap.

I assume the positioned "empathy" in the context Charan is using is "feeling sorry for his discomfort", because just feeling empathy for his situation is entirely plausible since we all experienced the same thing when starting off.

Everybody in this thread can relate to his frustration from first hand experience.
That doesn't make the frustration experienced inherently bad. It would be entirely bad if the game did not offer ways to bypass that frustration after accumulated knowledge, in which case i would urge the person in question to simply stop since time is a costly good.

I assume all gamers experience frustration when they start out a new game, which is good in essence, it activates the conditions to improve.

Peace,

-Boem-
I had no frustration. I fucking loooooooooooved exploring the game. That's my favorite part of any strategy/RPG game. The learning phase. I typically grow bored when I stop having questions and begin seeing just answers.

The way I solve this with PoE is by having year-long breaks. Allowing new questions to emerge.
Last edited by Bars on Apr 13, 2018, 8:15:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info