Scared yet GGG..? :)

Ok, I guess D4 actually means Diablo 4. And that is coming? Okeee, it is coming, and then again. So what?
What about it? I already have Diablo 3, (bought Ultimate Edition when it became available) and actually haven´t played it for quite a while. After playing it X number of times, you kinda have had enough, really. Seriously. It is pretty much the same each and every time you play it.

I am now playing Path of Exile, which is just way bigger and have a bunch more to it. Why on Earth would I bother with something like Diablo 4?

Play Diablo a few times and you know very well what and how things will go and work. Play Path of Exile, and you´ll get surprised you didn´t even knew that thing there after 5 years of playing it. You even get loot you didn´t even knew existed, all you thought about it, was that it was nothing but a myth.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Diablo 4 will likely be a lot more fun to play than PoE and hopefully D3

Define 'fun'. (Yes I went there.)

Because I suspect that, depending on the definition you offer, I might claim that Diablo III is already a lot more fun than Path of Exile - making your point about Diablo IV somewhat... superfluous.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Coward. :P

Fine, I shall persist regardless.

Diablo III is more fun than Path of Exile. I play the latter but not the former.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

There is a dictionary on a leaf.

My point isn't as controversial as I'd hoped? No fun on the forum this evening, I guess.

----

^I reckon PoE offers a lot of arpg features to the person seeking them out.

I get the slot-machine references, but really nobody is forced to pull them or be conditioned by them.

Ironically, this was more the case in the PoE of the past that didn't offer so many alternate routes to similar results.

D3 lost my attention when they started pushing the 3000% set bonuses and pretty much forced the meta, not that GGG doesn't attempt a similar thing, but the numbers aren't as obscene allowing pretty much all builds to perform even in end-game content if backed up by game-knowledge and experience.

Both games are still fun in my book, D3 just lost appeal to me to revisit every now and again, while PoE keeps me coming back since there is always this new thing i wanna fool around with and see how far i can push it.

As far as the "why" is blizzard doing a D4 arpg, simply because they have the assets to do so and can rotate platforms easily?
Wouldn't it be a waste of them to not constantly have an arpg game on the backburner for their people with the know-how to work on? Getting skilled people ain't easy i reckon and having them do nothing is pointless.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
鬼殺し wrote:
This is how I end your song fun.

I did not call you a coward for claiming that other games are more fun than Path of Exile on the Path of Exile forum. I called you a coward because I asked you to define a word and you declined.

You suck at math btw.

2 = A
4 = B
7 = C

If we know that C > B and B > A then, sure, you can say that C > A and be correct - but isn't it a bit superfluous to do so? I mean, basic logical deduction tells us it must be true.

If we accept that Diablo III is more fun than Path of Exile, and we assume that Blizzard will not release a Diablo IV that fails to at least surpass Diablo III, then we already know that Diablo IV will be more fun than Path of Exile. Thus, in my view, the statement is superfluous.

I'm not intrigued by Diablo IV. It'll be fun, it'll perform well, and any repeat encounters will be dull and repetitive. Reminds me of an Italian I once knew (whom, perhaps ironically, I miss rather badly).

----

"
鬼殺し wrote:
A close friend of mine tried PoE for funsies the other month. He knew I was a big supporter but we don't really talk about it. He just mentioned in passing he gave it a go (probably the 3.0 push) and he stopped around level 40, saying that he found it impossible to keep playing without being forcibly reminded at every turn that RNG was dictating his progress. He wasn't struggling, he was just savvy to the gimmick driving it all and felt he was being patronised by it. This guy has a much lower tolerance for bullshit than I do so when he says something like that, I pay attention. He also has broader gaming experience than me -- anything from War Thunder to Monkey Island.

Of all my ARPG-veteran friends, I'm the only one who has put much time into PoE. The only one who could turn a blind eye to the slot machine skeleton holding it all up.

So if a new player but veteran gamer can feel that way by level 40, I'm inclined to say no, you sort of are forced to pull the levers and you are conditioned to do so. Anyone who disagrees here I'll just call an addict and remind them just how close their nose is to the tree trunk as opposed to that more objective view of the forest, so it's really not worth arguing.

I wonder if you ever played a single ARPG in your entire life after reading you.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
A close friend of mine tried PoE for funsies the other month. He knew I was a big supporter but we don't really talk about it. He just mentioned in passing he gave it a go (probably the 3.0 push) and he stopped around level 40, saying that he found it impossible to keep playing without being forcibly reminded at every turn that RNG was dictating his progress. He wasn't struggling, he was just savvy to the gimmick driving it all and felt he was being patronised by it. This guy has a much lower tolerance for bullshit than I do so when he says something like that, I pay attention. He also has broader gaming experience than me -- anything from War Thunder to Monkey Island.

Of all my ARPG-veteran friends, I'm the only one who has put much time into PoE. The only one who could turn a blind eye to the slot machine skeleton holding it all up.

So if a new player but veteran gamer can feel that way by level 40, I'm inclined to say no, you sort of are forced to pull the levers and you are conditioned to do so. Anyone who disagrees here I'll just call an addict and remind them just how close their nose is to the tree trunk as opposed to that more objective view of the forest, so it's really not worth arguing.

There is no RNG dictating progression at lvl 40. Absolutely none.

You can scuff at that and project "addict' status on to me, but i'm not really a lever puller or doing anything i don't desire to do in the game.

I can take any skill, any build and any class to maps in about 12 hours of game-play on a fresh stash, the game offers a lot of non-rng methods of progression in today's PoE.

Did he even visit the recipes page on the poe wiki before going "bull rng dictating my progression"?
The game has a grind, but not much RNG if your okay with that grind.

Or are we suddenly not okay with a grind anymore either?

Peace,

-Boem-
My position is easy, there is no RNG dictating progression at that stage of the game.

And in the later stages RNG is denied by grind and knowledgeable use of resources.

I never made a claim this doesn't require game-knowledge or experience with the game, neither did i make a claim about the non-existent in-game resources being a pro to the game.

That's just stuff your throwing around and somehow claiming i pointed at?

And yeah man, somebody constantly referring to blind spots and the burden of knowledge is surely taking for granted the fact he played this game for five years :p
Is your next step going to be convincing me that the full depth of the game should be revealed by lvl 40 to any new player or that no struggle should be inherent in the game before becoming accustomed with the recipes and underlying rules it puts on every single participant?

I wouldn't expect your mate to not feel like the game is not rng dependent for progression, what i could expect is for you to know it is not and pierce true that statement instantly as "uninformed".

Peace,

-Boem-
RNG isn't dictating anything at level 40. Knowledge of the game is.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info