The fusing mechanism is frustrating and punishing

Let me preface this by saying yes, I could have used Vorici for 6-linking but I didnt. Thats my own fault not denying that.

I have been gambling a lot in the past, I played poker, roulette and on various slot machines and I can say without a doubt that trying to 6-link something evokes the exact same feeling I had when I was on a gambling streak. You get a rush, adrenaline spikes and then after you realize you spent your entire cash on absolutely nothing the crash comes.

I have come to a point where I wont use fusings again, ever. From now on they are strictly currency for me and I believe they are inherently bad game design. This is something that the developers intended to be used but the value as currency is far greater than the use because trying to 6-link something is a herculean task unless you get lucky. I spent 3k fusings on an item that is probably worth a fraction of that once its six-linked. After all this micro trading, accumulating the fusings you are practially left with nothing.

I am not trying to get them to change it because it obviously works for the majority of people but its a huge trap for people like me who have problems with gambling.
The freedom of birds is an insult to me. I'd have them all in zoos.
Last edited by bimbobaggings on Mar 30, 2018, 10:07:06 AM
Last bumped on Apr 26, 2018, 2:02:43 PM
The whole gambling problem in video games is a topic you find everywhere now.

If you have problems with gambling than poe is absolutely not for you. Poe is a slotmachine in a slotmachine in a slot machine... .

Getting a 6link is hard, not denying that, but there need to be things that are really hard to acquire since there are people with alot of time on their soft hands.

I really dont see the point its your own goals you set. If you see someone that has a 6 link you know the value and potentialy the work put into it.
You have to remember to chase and catch your dreams, because if you don't, your imagination will live in empty spaces, and that's nowhere land.
Getting a 6-link item in general has become increasingly easier with recent expansions.

If you really want to 6-link a unique item yourself, a sound strategy would be to sell any 6s/5l and start over, this can keep the costs at bay. An exceptionally great rare item is a different story though and probably warrants a trip to our beloved master assassin. ;)
Last edited by tomay on Mar 30, 2018, 11:06:24 AM
Yeah it sucks, if you can color the chestpiece on a 5link to be usable, then always manual 5link (so you might get lucky and accidentally 6link it), then when you have the currency either buy a 6link or vorichi link it.
I'd recommend having two similar items and try to 6L the better one while the other remains 5L. It's better to self-link statistically than to use Vorici. Sometimes you'll spend more, but on the average you'll spend less. If you get unlucky... shake it off. Don't give in to the idea that you wasted your attempts. You didn't. You just didn't get the results you would have liked. Keep trying.
And the worst part, there's no other recipe for Orb of fusing aside from the 6 sockets which is already rear. They should add more common recipe for fusing similar to jeweler & chromatic. If we could collect more fusing faster like those two, I think 6-linking wouldn't be an issue.
"A game IS supposed to waste your time but it's not supposed to make you FEEL like you're wasting your time:
It's supposed to make you WANT to waste your time."
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I'd recommend having two similar items and try to 6L the better one while the other remains 5L. It's better to self-link statistically than to use Vorici. Sometimes you'll spend more, but on the average you'll spend less. If you get unlucky... shake it off. Don't give in to the idea that you wasted your attempts. You didn't. You just didn't get the results you would have liked. Keep trying.

This is the best advice, and if your going for a 6l unique sell it everytime you roll it to 5l/6s some people will buy a 5l and happily use it.
I think every mechanism in this game is meant to be frustrating and punishing. Sorry rng bit ya in the ass.

(Some of this stuff almost feels korean mmo tier, minus actually charging you money to roll the dice.)
Last edited by jlw622 on Mar 30, 2018, 12:26:36 PM
The funny part is, you can [Removed by Support] farm them yourself for 300 hours. And after these 300 hours you try you luck to 6L and faily and can start another 300 hour farm journey.
Last edited by Blank_GGG on Mar 30, 2018, 12:54:54 PM
"
Fumina wrote:
The funny part is, you can [Removed by Support] farm them yourself for 300 hours. And after these 300 hours you try you luck to 6L and faily and can start another 300 hour farm journey.

With what build does it take 300 hours to get 1500 fusings?

I have more, than 800 fus worth of jew+fus on my ssf char, that was played for around 70 hours, not very efficiently just to mention.

Spoiler

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info