Oni-Goroshi Molten Strike + Reave Chieftain [2 Million+ DPS, Easy Bosses]

Figured i'd share a fun build I've been playing for most of the last few weeks of Bestiary.

I've played a ton of "high DPS" builds in the past several leagues, including pre-nerf HoWA, Wanderfinders, Cyclone Ngamahu, Bladeflurry, BladeVortex, Frost Blade characters... and I personally would say Molten Strike DESTROYS all these other abilities in overall Damage/Tankiness/FUN factor. (Minus the lack of pre-nerf VP, of course!...)

PROS:
Spoiler

- FLAMING BALLS EVERYWHERE
- Huge Boss DPS
- High HP due to ability to use Kaom's Heart
- Maintains excellent mapclear with no gem/gear swapouts, besides weapon swap.
- Low budget, high effectiveness, and can scale very well with exalt investments
- Not another Jugg

CONS:
Spoiler

- Need to hit things to leech
- No regen/Less regen are still doable but much more annoying, and I personally have to use a 2nd life flask
- Relatively low physical mitigation
- Probably better as a Champion... Cause Champion OP

PATH OF BUILDING:
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/YMHh89cB

Why OniGoroshi?

I wanted to try something else besides another Brutus Lead Sprinkler build, and OniGoroshi seemed like a fun concept. I actually borrowed a lot of ideas from Nathan Boulton's build, the OniGoroshi Blade Flurry Chieftain, credit to him! Check it out here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evaJOWcjbEc

Unfortunately I simply did not like BladeFlurry and the lower HP in his build, so I made some changes to switch to Molten Strike and grab more life nodes.

A big benefit of OniGoroshi over a BLS build is it counts as a 6-L 2 hander... which means... KAOM'S HEART!

With level 92, somewhat average gear (spent total around 13-15ex), pretty shitty jewels, I'm currently sitting at 7900HP. So you can easily break 8k+ HP without GG/50Exalt/Mirror gear. It's a great change of gameplay for somebody like myself used to playing 5k HP Raider/Pathfinder FastPewPew builds.

Benefits to Chieftain:
+ Covered in Ash (20% More Damage!)
+ 10% Fire Penetration
+ 10% Strength (More life!)
+ Built in 50% Physical -> Fire Conversion, means you don't need Xoph's Blood or Avatar of Fire
+ 10% Physical Dmg taken as Fire Dmg
+ 100% Fire Resist (Completely ignore Fire Resist on gear! Makes capping easy, and can focus on more DPS stats on jewelry.)

And my personal favorite...
Ngamahu, Flame's Advance ->
"Every 10 seconds, gain 70% of Physical Damage as extra Fire Damage for 3 seconds"

This is, almost, DOUBLE damage for 3 seconds every 10 seconds. You really feel this when you're beating on something like Minotaur and his life suddenly goes from 50% to 0% in 3 seconds.

CURRENT GEAR [BSC]:
Spoiler

KAOMS is a big pro to using an OniGoroshi - since you don't need the 6-L in your bodypiece, you get a nice +500 Flat HP (and unlike most builds, the 40% Fire Damage on Kaoms actually HELPS YOUR BUILD!)

Starkonja is, obviously, always a great helm choice. But it's NOT REQUIRED.
In fact, a well-rolled Armor helm with the +3 Projectile enchant is just as good if not better (easier to cap resists, so you can focus on more DPS stats on rings/amulet/jewels etc.)
I would just grab whatever you can afford with +3 projectile enchant.

I initially grabbed a +3 Abyssus for first cheap (like 1ex) but was dying quite a lot more on bosses... It's absolutely fine on trash or if you don't mind exploding occasionally, and if you are on a budget, but I would change out the helm ASAP.

Boots/Gloves are FLEXIBLE.
You can use Kaom's Roots if you want more HP / Ignore Temp Chains, etc.
I personally prefer Tombfist - I LOVE these gloves. They are very underrated.

1) Permanent INTIMIDATE on your target. This is a flat 10% MORE damage multiplier, which you normally won't have. This STACKS with Covered in Ash for 30% MORE total damage.

2) Permanent MAIM on your target. Has no actual DPS benefit... but... keeping everything slowed helps kite/keep it away from you. I sometimes swap out Atziri Flask for Lion's Roar on trash/mapping, and trash never really even reaches me with Reave knocking it all away/maiming them.

3) 2 more Abyss Jewels - Self explanatory... Abyss jewels are OP. Get +Flat Life & DMg Rolls

4) Still has % Max Life and % Attack Speed... two of the most important mods you want on a rare glove, anyway!

MATHS:
Spoiler

Going to keep this section short, may expand on it later.

MOLTEN STRIKE ON SHAPER/BOSS DPS:

Each ball does 55,130 average hit damage.
I throw 10 balls per hit (or 12 with Dying Sun)
I attack 4.12 times per second

That's about 41 balls per second (or 49 with Dying Sun)

With a THEORETICAL assumption that all 41 balls hit the boss, this is:
2,260,000 DPS
+
319,000 DPS Melee Hit of Molten Strike

TOTAL: 2.58 Million DPS

Obviously this is the high-end extreme, since it's unlikely every single ball will be hitting your target... but against a nonmoving target, a good amount will hit. Even if HALF your balls don't hit, you are still putting out nearly 1.5 Million DPS - plenty for all content.

CLEARING MAPS?
Spoiler
I use Reave and it works very well. I farm T15/T16 maps and trash is not a problem. I still switch to Molten Strike for stuff like Abyss cracks, to down the rares quick - or rare/red beasts.

I imagine any skill you want for trash will work fine - Trash dies fast anyway, so use what skill you enjoy - the majority of this build's damage is from OniGoroshi, so ANY skill will likely work.

Suggestions:
Frost Blades
Spectral Throw
Wild Strike
Sunder?

May add more info/post some videos next weekend if there's interest and time permits.
Hopefully this gives some people a fun build to try or helps provide some thought into your own build(s).
Cospri CoC Cold->Fire Trickster:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2576559
Divine Ire Trickster:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2459778
Last edited by KooperT on Mar 27, 2018, 7:24:37 PM
Last bumped on Apr 16, 2018, 5:26:34 PM
Hey, I got level 70 tday, i'm really enjoing playing it so far, appears to be a really got single target build.
It's really powerfull.
Yesterday I completed Solo Uber Lab level 63 ( https://prnt.sc/j65kh2 ).
Just wanna know some tips.
It's really easy to get out of mana if you don't kill an enemy and spamming Whirling Blades.
And how to get a higher dps? and What should i focus on jewels?
Really good build!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info