New to PoE, and I love it!

I can't explain why I didn't know about this game before. I had specifically looked for something new that was in the same genre as the game I had been playing. I found PoE completely by accident while reading some posts on another game's forum.

The skill tree is a bit daunting, and I've seen plenty of posts that strongly recommend using a build guide. Nah... It's more fun to try and figure it out. I'll probably regret it later, but that's fine.

Thanks for such a fantastic game!

Last edited by babedenny on Mar 22, 2018, 10:19:08 AM
Last bumped on Mar 22, 2018, 12:38:19 PM
Welcome aboard the PoE merry-go-round. Prepare yourself for "all your free time belong to GGG". Be sure to check out the build guide forums for the multitudes of skills and ways to play PoE. Also Youtube is your friend for PoE "how-to" guides and information. Also the PoE community is the best at helping you so don't be afraid to ask questions here.

Hopefully you won't be put off by this league not working well, either with the Bestiary net mechanics or the extra lag and rubberbanding that this challenge league is causing. GGG is a relatively small game developer (last I heard about 100 full time employees) but are one of the best at listening to our feedback, communicating with players, and making game play changes based on all feedback.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
the people who were here when the game first went into open beta, we didnt have build guides to follow, we had no idea what we were doing, we just dove in and made it up as we went along. It was great, imo thats the best way to start off.

No regrets, just try it, if it fails, try again, if it fails try and work out what ur problem is, damage? survivability? take a little peak at other ppls builds, see how much damage or life theyre stacking, go back and try it again. In 5 years of playing I think Ive tried someone elses build once, and that was recently.

Advice I would give is believe in what you make of the hard numbers. When it comes to peoples opinions like X is great, never do Y, Z is crap against this and that, take it all with a pinch of salt, theres a chance even if theyre a 5 year veteran of the game they could be talking a load of rubbish. Believe in the actual maths, believe in what you experience in game, but also always be open to the possibility that the reason X seems crap is because youre doing it wrong, not because its actually crap.
Ah, the early days. No guides, no meta, changes constantly. Necros were super strong, I miss it.
Originally Posted by battlebug on 12.02.2011:

can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
If you don't mind failing one or two chars, "doing it by yourself" is the best way to learn. Welcome!
dedadadadedoodoodoo is all i want to say to you
Last edited by tweedledee111 on Mar 21, 2018, 7:37:43 PM
Good days, back in 2012, when I made my first awesome Ranger with Ice Shot + LMP + Chain + Fork. Couldn't kill a magic pack. Still loved it.
Yeah, you learn a lot by creating your first couple characters out of nothing. I found that following a guide too early leads you too make the right choices, but you will have no idea why they are right choices.
My advice to new players is to experiment for a while, then follow a guide when you are ready to get serious. Have a good time.
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_Wiki honestly all you ever need to check.
SSF since ~OB
Welcome!

Do it, try it Your way see what Youll get. Test some skills, test synergies, try it out and see how far Youll get. Have fun and dont bother by advices of others. When You hit a wall then seek some non gear dependant build, also try SSF - it teaches You how to work with what You get instead of falling into trap of "i want this but its expencive". Then compare the build mechanics with Your own ideas and see the differences, learn how all those things work etc.

Also reserve one tab for currency - pick up all You find. And secon tab for superior flasks and gems. Just pick them and drop on that tab. When if will be full sell flasks. And again and again. Then Youll have enought gem and sell them. Repeat.

Have fun :)
Thanks everybody!

Yes, I do like the idea of trying to figure it out on my own, even if I end up with a character that ultimately fails. As one person said, at least I'll know why I made the choices I did. That might not be the case if I copied a build guide. After doing it this way I should be able to look at a build guide and have a better understanding of why it's built the way it is.

I love the freedom of choices this game has.
Oh yes, you will definetly fail, but thats is okay. Didn´t we all fail at first? Well I guess so. I am playing the game since I was bored in S08 in the "other" game. Now it is a long time ago, but still I am learning. A lot by my mistakes and also a lot by looking guides and try to do something like it or even copy it.
When you use a guide, it is no garant that it will bring you as far in the game as the guide writer could do, because the game is not only about using unique items, much more you will need very good rare items to perform really high red tier maps.
You can use trading and it will help to get items, you are unlucky to find yourself, but it makes more fun to try it the own way. Or by not using trade for every item, just for key items, maybe.
The game is never boring like the other game, because the developer love their game and are always inventing new ideas, mechanics and leagues.
PoE is free to play but hard to master.
I advice you to buy some stash tabs, it makes playing easier and also important use a lootfilter, it saves time.

Feel free to kill every monster you see, there are enough for all of us. Have fun!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info