Need some serious input.

Coming from D3 and the simplicity that D3 in fact offers, it was time for a change for something more in depth, more challenging and just all around more engaging. So having played up to act 4 so far and honestly really loving and enjoying the game, I then started getting the feedback of the some of the community in game about how as a casual (meaning 3-4 hours a day) just wont cut it, good luck with getting EX, you are forced to trade to be facerolling end game content. My personal goal would to just be able to map you know and farm drops nothing crazy, not looking to compete. I enjoyed D3 for the simple fact that I could just run end game stuff over and over again and get loot. Thats what Im looking for.

So for the people who have played for a long time and know what the end game looks like can I enjoy this game from what i have said above, is my goal achievable here for a more casual POE player?

I appreciate any input given!!

Last bumped on Mar 21, 2018, 4:54:36 PM
"
bbillesbach wrote:
So for the people who have played for a long time and know what the end game looks like can I enjoy this game from what i have said above, is my goal achievable here for a more casual POE player?

First of all, welcome to PoE!
As for your question: You'll likely be able to farm maps (the endgame of PoE), however, as a casual player, you'll likely not be able to do the hardest of them, let alone the endgame bosses like Shaper.
The company behind PoE is not named Grinding Gear games without reason: A lot of the endgame is a repetitive grind with very little returns. It's the sheer amount of time you put into it and the effectiveness of your playstyle (killing fast and efficient) that makes you a successful player. While you'll certainly be able to get gear for low-level maps, the high-tier ones (t10+) are quite hard and require very good gear which you can either grind for or trade for (the latter is more likely).
If just grinding the same maps over and over again is OK for you, you'll do fine. You can get some currency and the occasional decent drop and optimize your character from there. Everything else is a bonus for casual players.
A sword he brought, his foes to maim and rend,
from places dark behind forbidden doors,
But night by night he woke with frighten'd roars
from darkest dreams, too strange to comprehend.
(Anonymous)
There's a steep learning curve to this game, though it's gotten better. It might take you a few months to really get a good feel for the game. If you're not following a build guide, your character will probably peak around the end of the story mode in Act 10, if you're lucky.

Once you get a feel for the game, however, and if you play a decently strong build, you can absolutely start pushing into red maps as a casual player. I only get maybe 15 hours/week to play, and in the Bestiary League I've got my throw-away farm character peeking into red maps, and my second character should be into maps by this weekend.

So to answer your question, yes, it's possible. But before you get there, it might take a couple months of really learning the game to accomplish that (mechanics, learning what to sell, etc). The end game (red maps and beyond) is an RNG grind, plain and simple, so be prepared for that.
Look, man. Video games are hard, okay?
Hi friend,

Welcome to Wraeclast!

So I'm going to try to walk a fine line here, but Path of Exile has a large community that includes a lot of pretty different people who each have their own goals for - and opinions about - the game. Nobody is "wrong", but you need to be able to view an opinion in context.

Diablo III's community has folks like Chainer and Deadset who are very skilled at the game and want to be doing the highest level Greater Rifts. They want their Legendary Gems to be as high a level as possible. That they've tremendous insight into the game is undeniable - but I'd be a bit concerned if someone just starting off with Diablo III held themselves to the same standard, y'know?

Path of Exile's challenge leagues are a lot like Diablo III's seasons. They last for three months, there's exclusive cosmetic MTX you can earn in each one, and they mean a fresh start for everyone - as existing gear / characters cannot be migrated into a new challenge league.

If your plan is to play mostly or entirely in the challenge leagues, that does mean beginning from level one at least once every three months (more often if you're in Hardcore). I would say that you're probably unlikely to earn all 40 challenges in a league - and even earning 36 for the final cosmetic MTX could be a 'challenge', if you'll forgive the pun. But I see no reason why you can't log in, reach maps, kill some bad guys and nick all of their stuff.

The ten acts don't take too long to get through - might take you two to three days playing that many hours a day - and then you're into maps. The first few maps shouldn't be too difficult at all, and as you get better gear and level up you'll be able to push further into the atlas.

You can definitely farm maps, however my advice would be 1) Don't play in Hardcore, 2) Don't create SSF ("solo self-found") characters, 3) follow a build guide so you know the character you're investing time into is capable of going the distance, and 4) check out either PoE.Trade or the official trade site for good deals on gear. Look for good Life and Resistance rolls!
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Last edited by Sarno on Mar 20, 2018, 1:05:19 PM
Don't expect your first character to be good enough to make it to the end of act 10, much less on to mapping. If you do, you're no beginner. Learn to play the game first before becoming too engrossed in what makes a character good.
"
Peace_Frog wrote:
There's a steep learning curve to this game, though it's gotten better. It might take you a few months to really get a good feel for the game. If you're not following a build guide, your character will probably peak around the end of the story mode in Act 10, if you're lucky.

Once you get a feel for the game, however, and if you play a decently strong build, you can absolutely start pushing into red maps as a casual player. I only get maybe 15 hours/week to play, and in the Bestiary League I've got my throw-away farm character peeking into red maps, and my second character should be into maps by this weekend.

So to answer your question, yes, it's possible. But before you get there, it might take a couple months of really learning the game to accomplish that (mechanics, learning what to sell, etc). The end game (red maps and beyond) is an RNG grind, plain and simple, so be prepared for that.

This gives me hope! I am not expecting a whole lot my first play through.
"
Sarno wrote:
Hi friend,

Welcome to Wraeclast!

So I'm going to try to walk a fine line here, but Path of Exile has a large community that includes a lot of pretty different people who each have their own goals for - and opinions about - the game. Nobody is "wrong", but you need to be able to view an opinion in context.

Diablo III's community has folks like Chainer and Deadset who are very skilled at the game and want to be doing the highest level Greater Rifts. They want their Legendary Gems to be as high a level as possible. That they've tremendous insight into the game is undeniable - but I'd be a bit concerned if someone just starting off with Diablo III held themselves to the same standard, y'know?

Path of Exile's challenge leagues are a lot like Diablo III's seasons. They last for three months, there's exclusive cosmetic MTX you can earn in each one, and they mean a fresh start for everyone - as existing gear / characters cannot be migrated into a new challenge league.

If your plan is to play mostly or entirely in the challenge leagues, that does mean beginning from level one at least once every three months (more often if you're in Hardcore). I would say that you're probably unlikely to earn all 40 challenges in a league - and even earning 36 for the final cosmetic MTX could be a 'challenge', if you'll forgive the pun. But I see no reason why you can't log in, reach maps, kill some bad guys and nick all of their stuff.

The ten acts don't take too long to get through - might take you two to three days playing that many hours a day - and then you're into maps. The first few maps shouldn't be too difficult at all, and as you get better gear and level up you'll be able to push further into the atlas.

You can definitely farm maps, however my advice would be 1) Don't play in Hardcore, 2) Don't create SSF ("solo self-found") characters, 3) follow a build guide so you know the character you're investing time into is capable of going the distance, and 4) check out either PoE.Trade or the official trade site for good deals on gear. Look for good Life and Resistance rolls!

Thank you for that input that helps me alot, would you guys recommend playing standard for awhile until i learn the game or am I missing alot of features by not playing leagues? Just trying to find the right spot for me until i truly learn the game!
"
bbillesbach wrote:
Thank you for that input that helps me alot, would you guys recommend playing standard for awhile until i learn the game or am I missing alot of features by not playing leagues? Just trying to find the right spot for me until i truly learn the game!

You're very welcome!

I would generally recommend people begin playing in the softcore version of the current challenge league, simply for the reason that most other players do - so you've the largest possible number of potential trading partners, friends / guildmates who can help you with in-game content you might want a hand with, and so on. Boy that's quite the sentence, ain't it? :P

At the end of a challenge league, your characters and stash tabs will be moved over to Standard. A lot of league mechanics can be ignored if you find everything a bit overwhelming - Bestiary means you'll occasionally get a more challenging fight, but if you don't want to bother with the beastcrafting, you don't need to. Some of the recipes might help, though. As with many parts of Path of Exile, I'd suggest taking a look at the wiki as it has lots of helpful info.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
It took me 2 leagues to start learning how to get to end game content, and it wasn’t until the third league before I began farming it. The journey has been good from my first character that couldn’t beat the story. I would recommend you let it grow at your own pace and don’t rush to the end game just to get bored too early.

Edit: and one of the great things in the game is that you can make several very good characters and they might have remarkably different challenges in the end game.
Last edited by quicksixteen on Mar 20, 2018, 1:24:00 PM
"
bbillesbach wrote:

This will depend on your own preferences. Me personally I put about 60 hrs into my first character in Standard and regretted it because I found that I really like playing leagues and none of the gear or wealth I had accumulated could be used to help my second character along.

My advice is just do what is fun for you. Don't worry about leagues being more complicated or anything like that. If you are having fun then the learning will happen on it's own.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info