[Failed to create swap chain] Regarding my recent issues with poe since 3.0 and onwards.

Hello!

So i'm currently quite baffled, about my issues i'm having.
Pre 3.0 era i could run poe easily while having 30-50ish fps even while recording it with obs 1080p.

But ever since i've been having performance issues. But it's at an all time worst now in 3.2
Because now dynamic resolotuion won't even work. It just puts it perma potato mode regardless of setting.

So then to my issue i'm having, usualy i've about 30-40 fps unless tons of shit happening, but then suddenly it drops to 5 fps and then back up for no reason back and forth. Which is quite jarring. This also happens when i'm just idling in my home.

I tried basicly everything by the book how to solve this but i'm at loss.
Many ppl say go dx9, but for some reason that turns it even worse, it's locked at 19 fps when in dx9. So dx11 runs the most "smooth"

However today i started crashing and got this wierd error.
Why is it wierd you might ask, well it says /F which is my blue-ray drive. So why would poe try to draw stuff from there?

Another issue i've had recently is that every time i alt tab, PoE switches to my integrated card hd4000, but i just assume it's a visual bugg cuz no way it can hold 30-40ish fps.

Yes my laptop is getting old for sure, but it used to run so smooth.
So yea i'm wondering what's going on here especially since PoE seemingly trying to use my Blue-ray.

Specs: I7 3610qm, 6gb ram, nvidia 640m le 2gb edition, samsung SSD.

This is how my fps graph looks basicly all the time:

Edit: I can even run games such as rise of the tomb raider, that not even support my gfx as a minimum, but it runs just fine, on low.
So i'm at loss as to why PoE is having so many issues running. SINCE 3.0 prior to that i didn't have issues at all.
Last edited by _SleeZy_ on Mar 19, 2018, 8:40:12 PM
Last bumped on Feb 19, 2019, 8:48:01 AM
Bump...
Hi there

I have recently had this same problem. I am not sure if you have managed to resolve yours yet but I had another game running (Hearthstone) which after I closed down and ran POE it launched with no problems.

Your problem sounds more complex but perhaps there are other programs running that are being a pain. Also have you tried disabling the on board graphics?

Are you running Windows 10?
Did you recently get forced to update to v1709 (Fall creators update)?

I'm running a really old machine with a NVidia 540m in it and up to Win10 v1703, it was working just fine. Not the fastest and prettiest; it was working.

Then back in November of last year, MS dropped their first "you're getting this update whether you like it or not" grenade on my machine and updated me from 1703 to 1709. PoE broken! Same error you have.

Did some googling, tried some stuff (thought I could figure out - P-ha!) and lo and behold I finally decided that this 'update' is really great if you are ready to upgrade to a new machine however seeing as how I wasn't ready for that I uninstalled the update to 1709 and hey look PoE is working again.

Now of course, I realize that wait a minute, this thing is going to try and re-install itself in an hour, or well ok maybe a day or so, so I put in those changes to the windows update to delay it as long as possible even though I would like to have never update to a newer version however I do not get that choice. Well apparently as long as possible ended yesterday when I was right in the middle of doing something and Windows started upgrading me to v1709. Displayed a message saying that I needed to install some major security updates and to do that I first had to update my Windows 10. I was happily running v1703 for the last 4 months and now I have to face this crap again.

Of course not being able to stop the process I let it run to completion and once again PoE is busted. Now I know this isn't really GGG's fault as their game was running just fine before Windows changed and I know that this graphics chip does not even meet the minimum spec but hey it was working.

Now with this being a few months later I thought perhaps there is some new information out there to assist with working around this wrinkle. Nope, well at least not any of value that I can find. Anyways, once again I will be embarking on removing this virus, err, I mean software update only to have it kindly inform me that doing so may mean I need to re-install some of my applications...again.

Regards,

Mike.
I found a solution that worked for me:

Modify the properties of the shortcut to PoE so in Properties click on the compatibility tab and check the option to disable fullscreen optimizations. PoE is now loading successfully on my Windows 10 v1709 update.

Regards,

Mike.
Hey thank you all for replying!

I had almost forgotten i made this post.

I run on windows 7 so it's not a win10 issue.

However i did something that somewhat fixed this issue.
Since i did so much i'm not exactly sure what fixed it.
But i suspect it was so simple as to delete my config file since it was realy old. Even tho i reinstalled PoE it used same old config file.

So now i can play much better then before.

What's more funny is that after i reset my settings the game wants me to run all high and some medium... And gives decent fps, while if i put all on low again i actually get worse fps.

Seems like high quality textures is better optimized than low quality setting is.

And now multithreading works also, though it makes me crash in lab sometimes while loading izaro room, so i've to turn that off when doing labs.

Edit: I also now run --noasync command makes fps more smooth but increases loading times sliightly, but not to big of a deal due using an SSD.

Also stops my cpu from almost frying itself, for some reason CPU gets reeeealy hot while not using the noasync command.

Last edited by _SleeZy_ on Apr 18, 2018, 7:57:02 AM
"
_SleeZy_ wrote:

Pre 3.0 era i could run poe easily while having 30-50ish fps even while recording it with obs 1080p.

I have a guide to things that have helped other people with similar crashes, and which might help you.
"
SlippyCheeze wrote:
"
_SleeZy_ wrote:

I have a guide to things that have helped other people with similar crashes, and which might help you.

Thank you for the post!

I somehow decently solved my issues which i wrote about in the post above.
In your guide i had tried everything except deleting my old config file, since PoE seems to keep it even during uninstall, so removing it seemed to help abit.
Especially since default config wanted me to use almost all settings on high.

What i also believe helped the most is the --noasync command. Atleast it gets rid of random stutter which i also believe comes from CPU overheating. Because without noasync tag, my cpu goes from solid 70-80c degrees to 100-110. Which is dangerously high.
Since i'm on a laptop they're made for higher temperatures but it'll start trottling around 90c i believe.

But my main issues was my gfx card or the dx11, which is what all my crashes told me anyway. So it wasn't realy CPU issue either.

But ye all in all, i'm able to play pretty smoothly with near 30-50 fps again, and rarely drops below 30 now. Except in partyplay. Which is to be expected as well since my setup isn't the best for such endevour.
Can confirm.

This happens occasionally when I alt-tab to PoE.

I noticed after Windows update 1803 that alt-tabbing from any game to desktop started to occasionally take about two or three seconds. The game never crashed. Alt-tabbing back to game was as fast as before. This worked itself out when I updated my NVIDIA drivers.

This does not happen with PoE when I set the game to use DX9. However, DX9 has it's own problems and I choose to suffer the occasional crashes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/56f9d0dss8gikbd/DxDiag.txt?dl=0
Same thing is happening to me, lamee

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info