Mathil's Analysis on current status of this league.

"
xMustard wrote:
harbinger league was amazing for map sustain and that kind of ruined us, because i don't think GGG intends maps to be so sustainable. not high tier ones anyway.

this is i think the biggest misconception, is that we're supposed to sustain t13-t16 all day long.

See, i get that this is probably still GGGs idea. The thing is, i think it's a bad idea. I'm all for a good grind, when it comes to, well, gear. And currency. And free mtx. I enjoy SSF. I wouldn't mind if Shavs was 50 ex like in the old days. That's fine. Because, if you get it, you have accomplished something and it will feel good and you will keep the item for as long as you wish. But maps get consumed. You don't accomplish anything by dropping a t13, t14, t15 map. It's consumed and gone in the blink of an eye. And hence, if you are having bad map RNG for a while, you will get frustrated and bored. Let people play, what they want to play, and they will have fun, even when the league mechanic doesn't appeal to them. For retention of the average player (and i want to use RaizQT's definition here - "the average player isn't the random dude who quits at brutus, but the guy with an average time of /played."), well, for the retention of this "average player" the mapdrops imho have a much bigger impact than the league mechanic itself.
dedadadadedoodoodoo is all i want to say to you
Last edited by tweedledee111 on Mar 16, 2018, 11:06:24 PM
"
tweedledee111 wrote:
"
xMustard wrote:
harbinger league was amazing for map sustain and that kind of ruined us, because i don't think GGG intends maps to be so sustainable. not high tier ones anyway.

this is i think the biggest misconception, is that we're supposed to sustain t13-t16 all day long.

See, i get that this is probably still GGGs idea. The thing is, i think it's a bad idea. I'm all for a good grind, when it comes to, well, gear. And currency. And free mtx. I enjoy SSF. I wouldn't mind if Shavs was 50 ex like in the old days. That's fine. Because, if you get it, you have accomplished something and it will feel good and you will keep the item for as long as you wish. But maps get consumed. You don't accomplish anything by dropping a t13, t14, t15 map. It's consumed and gone in the blink of an eye. And hence, if you are having bad map RNG for a while, you will get frustrated and bored. Let people play, what they want to play, and they will have fun, even when the league mechanic doesn't appeal to them. For retention of the average player (and i want to use RaizQT's definition here - "the average player isn't the random dude who quits at brutus, but the guy with an average time of /played."), well, for the retention of this "average player" the mapdrops imho have a much bigger impact than the league mechanic itself.

yeah im not too fond on that idea either. i loved harbinger the most because of the availability of maps. it allowed me to actually get content done in the allotted time. i get to play maybe 2 hours a day (any game, not just path of exile) so when i struggle to break into red maps because i don't play enough to grind out the currency to buy them then it really hurts people like me, as you say, the average guy.

i didn't get very far in abyss league because of the same thing. goals are great in the game, which the challenge leagues give you, but they need to be obtainable for the average player and not just someone who can play 20-30 hours a week. so i ended up quitting abyss because while i had goals and i wanted to achieve them, they were not in my reach. so i played something else instead.

i can see the same thing happening with this league as well. i'll probably quit once i get my main guy geared out how i want him.
i could really care less about the league mechanics at this point...my gripe is with map returns...it's so bad....i can't afford to play the game anymore...i just want to farm high tier maps and its impossible to do without spending vast amounts of currency...what is the point of this

edit:spelling
Last edited by Chunu0327 on Mar 16, 2018, 11:43:37 PM
"
Chance for Breach to spawn in a map = 10%
Chance for Abyss to spawn in a map = 10%

Chance for EITHER an abyss or breach to spawn in a map = 20%

Chance for a red beast to spawn in a map = 20%

Abyss + Breach = Current coveted league mechanic spawn rate.

I wonder why everyone says this league feels like standard?

Standard is better. You dont have to deal with stupid beasts slowing you down and can afford Abyss and/or breach every map.
Git R Dun!
I haven't played much of the league (a lvl87, T6 maps), so I can't really say how is map progression compared to previous leagues (SSF is horrible either way :), but in Std with most of the Atlas filled up, maps drop plenty. And is certainly not due to Abyss cracks and Breach. I don't see much difference in playing at high end (T14+) than before. Also, Std can into Alchemy orbs.. :P

This league is so meh, I can't even be arsed to level to 90. In Abyss I got all the league lewtz, minus a two abyss slot item (which I got in Std now anyway). But in Bestiary, looking at those spawn numbers of legendary beasts and access to bosses... YAAAWNNNN... not gonna regrind that shit.

But I'm sure Chris Wilson will come in a week and tell us how engaging and vibrant beast trading has been since they opened the market. Economy is after all the most important thing (tm).
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Alchs truly are a bitch this league. I even tried running blue maps with IIQ just to try and farm some up. About four hours later I made about 30 alchs. Totally not worth. Even picking up unique isn't worth. Just fucking buy them, that's all you can do.

Or run underground sea for the card. That works too.
I started the league yesterday.

I guess im lucky i missed the bit before all the changes were added because it doesnt seem that bad to me? Most of it is whatever but you can just take it or leave it right? There was one thing that really interested me and that was 30% quality on some unique weapons, I knew I could get in, get them and get out again pretty quick. Im basically done now but then Im not rly in the mood to play a poe league, if I was in the mood I think Id keep playing it. Theres still breaches, abyss cracks, its still the game, its got most of the cool shit thats been added up til now. We got ambush boxes etc, its all there still.

I dunno, personally I dont mind playing standard, I dont rly need a league as such to enjoy the game cause theres always all the leagues worth having in the base game itself now anyway right?

Its whatever rly, dont think we needed the crafting, dont think it was the best way to execute the basic concept, and ultimately its just not my thing but everything in the game doesnt need to be my thing, esp when i dont have to engage with it unless I want to.
And the new patch is kinda "riding a dead horse". Way to less, to late and totally wrong focus.

PROBLEMS AT A GLANCE:

1) Shitty drop rate of everything (alchs and maps especially)

I ran out of everything. Can't even afford to alch my (non existant) maps.

Im i supossed to to a shitload of white T1-T3 maps to get an alch to try to improve a yellow map only to get nothing from it?

2) Beast-Mechanics are boring and useless

Neither challenging nor rewarding. So whats the point of it?

3) Gazillion of useless recipes
Crafting as league-mechanic? ... yeah ... great idea ...

They could increase the Breach/Abyss-Spawns to 50% to get at least a breach or abyss in a map.
This would increase the mob density and the chance to earn some currency.
They should massivly increase the drop rate of maps.
Last edited by Palamabron on Mar 17, 2018, 6:38:00 AM
"
Palamabron wrote:

3) Gazillion of useless recipes

I use them to get rid off shitty rares, so they useful
ign - FancySneakyDevil
shackles of the wretched vendors for 12 alch-shards.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info