[3.2] Raider Shield throw

I have only ever done one of these before so it's going to be basic (though that build did make it into the BOTW series so I hope that shows I know a little of what I'm doing). I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS FOR HARDCORE. It might be hardcore viable but I will never know as I live in Australia and this is where internet connections come to wither and die. Playing hardcore in Australia is like going outside, you never know when you will just die to the wildlife.

My character is currently 85 and still crit shatters every pack I've come across. There are almost definitely some ways it could be improved but it is pretty damn good as a geeneral mapping build.

My tooltips for those who want to compare dick sizes:
Spoiler
In hideout with auras and ice golem:
With charges and atziri flask: This is how it looks with the mapping gems, crit and faster proj.

Stats:
Life: 5547
Armour: 4688
Evasion: 7337
Block: 29%

Skill tree
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAIBAABeAO4EhwUtCC4JMw-rEvEUdRUgFr8XJhjbGYoZjhm0G5chYCP2JIsk_SaVKgsqTSyFLOktTS2DL3IwfDGeMgkyTjWSNj064T7PPydAoEHQR35KfUrITZJN41FHVUtVhVb6Whpd8mHiYqxlTWega5BsRmyMbWxuqm8ncFJybHTtdPF1y3X9d9d6hHrvfXWEb4TFhrOHdonTjDaNfY9gj5mXBppqm42btZ2qo4qly6ZXrK-v67Xyu-O9Nr3mvqfAv8M6xKLQrdN-2L3gn-Of51TqYu2D7g7vevJF9qP-Cv6P_rr_3g==?accountName=Killertortilla&characterName=PestilentMariachiKoala

Go up, take life and crit from shadow, more life and crit from right side, go to the middle life wheel and finally down to leech, shield nodes and frenzy charges

Leveling:
Use frost blades to 16 (I know you get the skill at 12 but it's not worth using until 16) and then get a Kaltenhalt.
Use that until 30 then get a Titicius' span.
Use until 45 then start to get rare shields. They are not expensive by any means.

For leveling weapons use a Tempestuous steel from 20-26 if you want something until you can get an Ewar's Mirage. That will be the end game weapon. The reason is because it has a 1.5 as (good for whirling blades movement), it has a 55% max roll on weapon elemental damage and it gives your SST a chain when held in the main hand, meaning you don't have to lose a colossal amount of damage to the chain gem.

Ascendancy:
Raider.
Way of the poacher because frenzy charges are lovely and you should want as many of them as you can get.
Avatar of the slaughter because BUFFED frenzy charges are waifu material.
Rapid assault. 20% attack damage and nearly perma onslaught.
Avatar of the chase means onslaught now gives 40% attack, cast and move speed. You get another 25% attack damage and 25% "MORE" not increased, "MORE" chance to evade melee and projectile attacks during your infinite onslaught.

Quartz infusion and Avatar of the veil? Why? You scared?

My current end game gear
Spoiler

almost all of the gear is just to cap res right now because I'm poor. The rat's nest isn't super necessary as the benefits aren't spectacular. The enchant is also not that big of a deal.

Flasks:
Spoiler

Atziri's promise for damage, crit flask because I am too poor to buy an upgrade and one defensive (it doesn't really matter what you put here, whatever suits your gear the best). The upgrades would be Taste of hate, Sin's rebirth and maybe a vinktar's if you have a grounding flask. All other flasks will have a very minimal benefit. Wise oak is not included because the damage bonus will only be for one element and you will be using cold and lightning, which makes it (numbers wise) worse than a vinktar's. Lion's roar obviously doesn't work because it is "melee physical" and SST is not melee.

Gem setup:
Spoiler
Pretty standard, SST, Increased critical strikes, Faster attacks, Added fire, Elemental damage with attacks, Faster projectiles. Swap out faster with slower for bosses.
Hatred and Herald of Ice, COH, assassin's mark.
Whirling blades, faster attacks of course.
Ice golem. Just there. By himself. So lonely.
CWDT, Molten shell, Immortal call and either Increased duration or phase run. Phase run can be a very useful tool because it can give you a big speed boost without you even having to concentrate. Whirling blades should be your escape but it can come in handy if you are learning the game and forget.

What shields to pick and why:
Spoiler
I'll start off with explaining the leveling ones. Simple, they are cheap, you don't need any more damage than they provide and they give you enough defenses to survive just about everything in the early game.

45 > maps, get a rare shield and aim for about 1k armour or evasion.

WARNING, SHIELD RANT, WARNING
Don't get a hybrid shield, don't get an energy shield... shield. None of that. Hybrid shields have less overall defense than a single stat one, that's the only reason. Why not energy shield? Because it doesn't give you any base damage and takes away around 66% of the armour/evasion you would have been getting if you had if you had a single stat shield. ES gives the skill 0.1% crit chance per 10. Even if that was 100% per flat 1 it wouldn't be a useful stat to have. The only viable shield would be the Magna Eclipsis and that's only because it has 1600ish armour while only having 100 es.

Maps: when you start mapping you have one of 2 choices. Just kidding, you get yourself a colossal tower shield and you get it right now. There's no other choice. GO get it. Got it? good. Colossal is cheap, it has the highest base armour and 2k armour is good enough to get you to red maps.

From red maps it starts getting a little expensive. You will want to try and upgrade to a 2500 shield and at the current time only one exists on softcore and it's 25ex. You can definitely still do red maps but you will notice a substantial buff to your fuck-things-up ability.

This covers everything I know so far. I will add to this as I continue the character and if people provide information.
Last edited by Killertortilla on Mar 9, 2018, 9:52:21 AM
Last bumped on Mar 9, 2018, 9:45:11 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info