[3.2] Voldo's Detonate Dead Saboteur, MoM Acro Hybrid, Volatile Dead Traps

Hey there, here are some ideas around lab enchants and corpse generation (Desecrate traps):

So if you link desecrate with cluster traps, you throw out 4 desecrate-traps. If they trigger, this would theoretically end in 20 corpses (5 corpses per desecrate). But Desecrate says “Maximum of 15 Corpses allowed“ which means that 1 of 4 traps is not used. Because of that point, I don’t see the benefit of additionally linking Desecrate + Cluster trap with an multitrap.

I was furthermore thinking about which lab enchant could fit the most for this build. Since the enchant: “DD 45 % chance to explode another corpse” is in principle very nice, but for single target boss damage, you do not have any corpses left to benefit perfectly as you can see in the following calculation:

The Rotation without DD enchant is throwing out desecrate traps (=> 15 corpse), throwing out DD-trap (4 corpses get detonated, 11 corpses remain), throwing out VD-trap (3 corpses per VD, 4x VD-trap = 12 corpses get destroyed, but you only have 11 left). So with the DD lab enchant, DD eats up ~ 2 corpses more, so you will probably only have 9 VDs following up. Since DD does more damage than VD, I think the enchant is still a good damagebuff but not to its full potential, since you have the 15 corpse limit of Desecrate. When you are clearing maps, the lab enchant will benfit to its full potential since you will kill mobs with DD resulting in enough corpses for all VDs to be generated.

Another option would be the enchant “Desecrate summons 3 additional corpses” means you can summon 18 corpses. In this case you would getting 12 instead of 11 VD generated, which is in my opinion not worth to consider.

“Volatile Dead destroys up to 1 additional Corpse” enchant does also not makes sense, because you don’t have enough corpses to destroy in your rota.

My solution is:

- Best enchant: “Detonate Dead has a 45% chance to detonate an additional Corpse”
- Adding Unearth instead of Multitrap to the Desecrate + Clustertrap setup, meaning for
singletarget you can benefit from additional corpses resulting in maximizing the damagesetup with the DD enchant.

What are your thoughts about?
Sounds good haha, in fact its the most optimal, i had a similar thought, but had some doubts on having to throw an unearth trap in the mix, meaning my rotation would become Des>Unearth>VD/DD but since we eventually run out of traps, it would make sense to throw when we finally run out, so yes its strong, just needs field testing, which i will do!
Regardless good idea.

Edit: also i dont run multitrap with it, i just added it in guide to cover a base.
Last edited by GGVOLDO on Mar 15, 2018, 8:13:25 AM
Hey, thanks for the guide, I'm leveling up with VD/DD atm and enjoying the experience. I was originally going to make a shrapnel shot trapper but I'm looking into VD builds.

A few questions I got for you:

1. Why aren't you going crit for this build? Seems like it would be very powerful. I'm comparing the crit vs non-crit version of this build on POB and the crit seems to do way better damage, and this is with just a skill tree change + double divinarus. I'm sure further tweaks could raise the dmg even further so I'm curious why you went with non-crit.

2. Have you already experimented with cremation on this build?

3. With tinkerskin, why didn't you get eldrich battery?

4. Why aren't you running the 3 heralds? The damage it adds is pretty enormous for VD/DD

5. In your skill tree, you pathed down to nullification to reach high explosives, which are ES nodes and takes 4 points, is there a reason you did this rather than getting the 2 int nodes north to save 2 points?

Thanks!

ironstove
Your shadow...cool
Why are you using Elemental Overload in this build?
Does it work with traps? Because in the Node description it says "if YOU'VE crit in the past 8 sec" and I don't think crits with traps counts as you.

EDIT: Ok, I got that. A friend told me you can get it from Orb of Storms. You could explain that in your Orb of Storms gems setup.
Last edited by Durnz on Mar 23, 2018, 1:31:16 AM
this is a very interesting concept!

Looking at a new build to level tomorrow, do you think you will have a video up before tomorrow so that i can decide whether i pursue this or another poison character?

regards
I just tried out detonate dead ...it is so much fun to blow up the corpses. Looking at this build.

I notice you're using a controlled destruction support gem with detonate dead gem. The detonate dead gem says the explosion is not affected by modifiers to spell damage. The controlled destruction gem gives 43% more spell damage. That affects the spell damage to the mobs around the corpse you exploded. Is that a significant amount? Which is more the corpse explosion damage or the spell damage? Is there any way to affect the corpse explosion itself ?
Last edited by Desarix on Mar 23, 2018, 10:18:29 PM
I'm currently still doing OK on BHC, made some modifications if anyone is interested.

- yes it seems like this build benefits more from fire penetration then spell damage, so I have changed the controlled destruction gems for fire pen

- also for ascendancy as I'm playing hc I did pick the perma blind node, its pretty amazing as defensive ability, and it works very good with lightning warp, and Blinding shiled Im using that reduces spell damage by 30% from blinded enemies and increases fire damage

- so I have transitioned from the unique fate staff to a new setup.

Still looking to push the character even further, in terms of DPS, might need to craft a rare shaped scepter or something not sure,

For skill tree changes I have dropped the elemental overload in favor of a gem socket. so currently running 5 - 6 gem sockets all socket with + Trap dmg + Fire dmg + area dmg

Reason for the EO drop was that I didnt want to run a crit setup enabler, in its place I run the standard CWDT immortal call.

Other then that my skill tree includes few extra life nodes.

I'm looking at the new Beast set, might be able to include it in my setup, will see If I will be able to run it.

Looks interesting tho

Farrul's Bite + Farrul's Fur together with the Blind Ascendancy node and Kongming's Stratagem

should be interesting ^^

As a final note I'm also looking at changing the Ngamahu Tiki for Xoph's Blood, thing is they are redicolusly expensive. Xeoph seems to be the way to go since fire pen appears to be scaling all corpse explosion/deto effects. Scaling this way also seems to be very effective since the explosions depend on the corspse/area so it kinda feels like fire penetration scales the standarized effective damage you get from available corpses.

I think this is actualy the main reason the damage dosnt "fall off" as much as it normaly would with skills that do not depend on corpse variables.

Spoiler
Last edited by Zen1337own on Mar 25, 2018, 1:45:07 PM
i'm running a version of this but with crits.

currently at around 25% chance to crit for VD, and close to 600% crit multi.

I DO NOT capture many beasts...

damage is insane, most of the boss below T5 die in one VD trow - but my life is still low - still have a few level to cover that as much as possible. Clear speed is good, linear white maps in about 3 minutes at lvl 80.

If I get rich I will get a 6L chest for VD and swap that staff for some good shield and wand, to add some block, life, ES, spell dmg and crit.

Anyway, thanks for the idea !
I have a quick question about the corpse generation (in general rather than relating to this specific build), does using traps &/or spell totem with desecrate get around the 3s cooldown/3 uses desecrate has (with the number of corpses then being capped at 15 at a time)? I'd like to do a volatile dead build but the corpse generating side of things is a bit off putting (hence the thought to use spell totem to automate that a bit).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info