PC servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .
Xbox servers are restarting in:
Sony servers are restarting in:

Video games blamed (again) for school shootings

I blame public schools for school shootings. Public schools are notorious for spreading political and religious indoctrination, juvenile delinquency, gang recruitment, drug distribution, teen sex, and the spread of disease. Nobody trusts teacher to carry guns because most of them are weird and some are pedophiles. Why else would anyone work all day with undisciplined brats for poverty wages? Educational standards are a joke. It's time to give up on the pipe dream of public education and close the public schools. State govs should test kids and publish guides for parents but the actually process of education should be the sole responsibility of parents. States can then spend some of the money they save on improving our public libraries.
Last edited by TheNightFly on Mar 9, 2018, 12:40:21 PM
"
TheNightFly wrote:
I blame public schools for school shootings. Public schools are notorious for spreading political and religious indoctrination, juvenile delinquency, gang recruitment, drug distribution, teen sex, and the spread of disease. Nobody trusts teacher to carry guns because most of them are weird and some are pedophiles. Why else would anyone work all day with undisciplined brats for poverty wages? Educational standards are a joke. It's time to give up on the pipe dream of public education and close the public schools. State govs should test kids and publish guides for parents but the actually process of education should be the sole responsibility of parents. States can then spend some of the money they save on improving our public libraries.

I dont trust most parents any more than public schools

I think about third of the population would never even learn to read lol
I dont see any any key!
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
SuicideAll wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Please do not lower yourself to the level of these idiots. Present some actual data for your claims.

The very first link I provided cites numerous studies. While the supporters of violent video games have yet to provide A SINGLE STUDY
Your first link was literally a link to a textbook.

But I looked up the article that that link cites in its sidebar on video games. That article (The Influence of Media Violence on Yoth, Anderson at al 2003) was itself a scholarly analysis and summation of other studies; it's almost as if your textbook was citing another textbook. But the article had better citations, and cited a longitudinal study by the same author (technically, the study was published shortly after the article, but obviously the author would still be aware of the study, having worked on it). In this study (Violent Media Content and Aggressiveness in Adolescents: A Downward Spiral Model, Anderson at al 2003) we finally discover the methodology used to reach their conclusions.

Guess what that methodology was. Hint: Professors be lazy.
Spoiler
Surveys filled out by middle school students.
They asked them a series of questions about how often they consume violent media content, how often they engage in aggressive behavior, etc with all questions on a vague 1 to 5 scale, with 1 being "not at all" or "strongly disagree" and 5 being "often"
or "strongly agree." They didn't collect criminal records or anything like that.

You don't have hard data on your side,
mate. You've got a series of professional Sexcalibres strawpolling middle schools and enjoying the smell of their own farts.

I don't have a fucking side Scrotie. I'm the ONLY ONE trying to provide ANY DATA. There are multiple citations in the first link. I picked a couple and skimmed through. I even admitted to not reading through them all thoroughly.

I have no vested interest in either side of the debate. I am merely asking for MORE DATA. I'm not interested in the opinions.

I did a QUICK search for the other side. It was slim ass pickings and the best I came up with was "violent video games have no long term effect on empathy". Even that was a half assed article and not a true study using the scientific method.

OP claims NUMEROUS studies. Yet, can't be bothered to link A SINGLE STUDY? Sounds fucking fishy is all I'm saying.

I just wish people would provide EVIDENCE. I want to make an INFORMED decision. Not ride some politicians dick.
if you have no side why are you so hostile and whatnot?

kinda makes it seem like you are taking a side....
I dont see any any key!
I wish they would stop beating this same drum already. As OP pointed out, study after study refutes the whole notion yet here we go again!
Censored.
Last edited by kolyaboo on Mar 9, 2018, 12:59:00 PM
I grew up playing games with "violent content" and watching movies with fake violence (like light saber battles), but I had parents and community that clearly taught a separation of fantasy from "real life" and what was and wasn't acceptable behavior.

In addition, I balanced the violent games with stuff like Tetris and Sim City... so it wasn't entirely kill kill kill, and I preferred story games like RPGs to simple beat-em-ups.

I am the furthest thing from a violent person you'll likely meet today, as a 40+ yr old person.

However, a person who is disposed to violent behavior, frustrated with life, consuming media that glorifies violence as an acceptable method of conflict resolution, and having no guidance from parents or their community as to what constitutes acceptable behavior and healthy conflict resolution... would be feeding their violent impulses, and would be more likely to act on them if they play violent games and watch violent movies, and listen to lyrics that depict violent acts.

Violent games, movies, and music are not the CAUSE of the violence, but in people who have those tendencies, they certainly don't help. Parents need to parent, and it would help parents if the media creators (like game designers) would really consider if they need to include violence for violence's sake, or if there is a good reason for it, and put it in a proper context, at least if they're conscious of the effect they CAN have on a clearly dangerous portion of the population that will consume their product and use it to fuel their thinking.

No fault of the media, but it's food for thought.

(I will not argue the point of media influencing a person's actions, since the advertising industry is built around that being a fact... encouraging certain desires people already have, and getting them to act on them to buy products - it's clearly a "thing" that media CAN influence actions, and without proper reasoning skills, people can be swayed against their best interests into certain courses of action that are... let's say... no the best idea in their situation...)
If video games make people violent what about shooting ranges?
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
I am honestly stunned at the number of people posting 'violent video games need to disappear' on the forums of a video game in which the objective is to gratuitously massacre thousands upon thousands of demons, zombies, mutated beasts, crazed cannibals, and murderous zealots, crowned off by cutting down close to a dozen evil gods.

Like...seriously? Some medium awareness, people? If y'all were really this opposed to anything that isn't Happy Snuggletime Fluff Adventure, perhaps explain why you're here?
"
Head_Less wrote:
If video games make people violent what about shooting ranges?

well there is nothing violent about a shooting range

less you are shooting at human shaped targets I guess
I dont see any any key!
Yeah I mean shooting ranges are most definitely not violent. More like a bowling alley (to those that have never been to one). Everyone stays in their own lanes. Everyone just shoots. Not even competitive unless it is some special event or you go with a friend (or spouse in my case) and see who can get the most points.
Censored.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info