Grinding Gear Games is looking for a Narrative Designer and Script Writer

Wow! In preparation for 4.0? ;)
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?
1st : Even if the whole story is rewritten and every character is replaced in it - almost none will notice. ( under none I mean 99.5% of the population practically have none idea what's all this about ).

2nd : You need movie cutscenes. Dudes. We are living in 2018. Animation with characters is something which is done in a mater of days. This text nonsenses is something from 80's.. OMG..

3rd : The script have to be simple. The involved subjects have to be minimum.

4th : The ES nerf sux much more than Your scrips ( which already sux a lot ).

5th : Sorry about my negative opinion, but Honest is my family name.
"
Jerle wrote:
Wow! In preparation for 4.0? ;)

Aye. Those which exit PoE 3.x somehow not completely disappointing from their wasted time because of ES nerf - maybe could think of playing PoE 4...

( which in my honest opinion should be actually named PoE 0.4 )
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
Whoa, does this point towards a significant lore-related expansion in the future? I thought we were done with 10 acts!

The 10 acts was to weave a single playthrough into the game. It is perfectly acceptable for them to do more. In fact, the very format that GGG has setup the game window, if you look at the WP map, is part 1 & part 2, rather that act 1 through 10. This already implies more "parts" will be added, likely in sets of 5 as the previous two were.

All this also hopefully implies the possibilities of levels beyond 100.
State of Beyond Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3441741

State of Blight Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3470384

State of Harbinger Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3473629
"
ThorTX wrote:
1st : Even if the whole story is rewritten and every character is replaced in it - almost none will notice. ( under none I mean 99.5% of the population practically have none idea what's all this about ).

2nd : You need movie cutscenes. Dudes. We are living in 2018. Animation with characters is something which is done in a mater of days. This text nonsenses is something from 80's.. OMG..

3rd : The script have to be simple. The involved subjects have to be minimum.

4th : The ES nerf sux much more than Your scrips ( which already sux a lot ).

5th : Sorry about my negative opinion, but Honest is my family name.

1st : I don't think so, it's evident that there is a lot of people who don't care much about the lore but there are also people who wouldn't play the game without strong narrative included in the game experience.

2nd : Meh, I read every dialogue (the first time at least) but I found the Kitava statue cutscene annoying (maybe because this one is really short and don't really develop anything)

3rd and 4th : Bullshit
A simple, powerful addition to the script would be Greust shouting "WAT" when defeated in Act 7.

On a more serious note, just stuff to make it flow better. Why are we chasing Piety? Why are we going anywhere in the early acts? It has a feel of 'just because we can', rather than some actual greater narrative.
And I thought Path of Exile ceased to be 'dark and gritty' a long time ago.

Characters' lines were trivialized like for PG rating (if I don't misunderstand something, Raulo isn't mentioned as Maligaro's lover anymore, women no longer like to do things for Silk, Greust turned to noble savage from a legitime xenophobe waiting for a moment to kill you, etc), hopeless setting of "thaumaturgy is the temptation and doom of man from the beginning of time and for all damned eternity" changed first to "now you must descent to Burning Hell and kill Diablo for good" and then to my schoolhood dream of humans turned to gods with subsequent deicide streak and all Nephalem vulgarity with it. "Oh no, mysterious force twisting dreams {which isn't Nightmare anymore, so what Nightmarish is in this Nigthmare? We'll rename it to The Beast} is actually my poor father!", "Oh yes, my poor father was nice guy all this time, it's just another THE MOST ANCIENT, MALEVOLENT AND TENTACLED thing in a row!"
And I hate person who created that disgusting sweet couple in act 4.

I can't play since 3.0 because my PC is antique garbage, yet the only good piece I discovered so far squeezing through error pop-ups is Lilly Roth, but who knows, maybe jewels are hidden in act 8 Sarn. I have some hope for Hargan (not really).

And just using previous post as the source of words:

"
SuperTaster wrote:
A simple, powerful addition to the script would be Greust shouting "WAT" when defeated in Act 7.

On a more serious note, just stuff to make it flow better. Why are we chasing Piety? Why are we going anywhere in the early acts? It has a feel of 'just because we can', rather than some actual greater narrative.

A simple, powerful addition to the script would be Greust being the leader of allied bandit tribes in case you slaughtered all other candidates or the head on a stake otherwise.

As ironic as it is, I feel these absurd "kill crab for me", "bring chest for me" cheap RPG quests are at least somehow suited for aimless scum washed ashore naked for some petty assault. It's not so natural to feel yourself The Chosen One and start investigating Great Evil Schemes as soon as you manage to hide from zombies in absolutely insecure ruin.
"The Tainted Sun" Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V is still tasteless.
Cool! I'd love to see more lore and atmospheric content! Also, fair warning: if I have to fight Malachai's apprentices I will throw a fit.

"
SuperTaster wrote:

I actually think the various characters have pretty clear (if spare) motives in the early acts - knowledge (Marauder, Templar, Witch, Scion), power (Witch, Duelist, Ranger), revenge (Templar, Marauder, Scion), freedom (Ranger, Duelist) and I Like To Kill Things (Shadow).

Part 2, in my eyes, gets significantly weaker (in part because the characters stop providing commentary, and people stop responding to your character choice). The Templar and the Marauder in particular are pitted against deities who they, uh, worship, without explanation for why they're okay with this. It's a bit weird to be shouting "FOR TUKOHAMA!" when you've just torn his head off. Kitava is also kind of a non-entity, as villains go, since he doesn't really have a personality beyond, "hungry guy who you gotta fight." I love the shift into mass deicide but I'd love to see some expansion on the characters involved.

"
Karamzin wrote:
And I thought Path of Exile ceased to be 'dark and gritty' a long time ago.

Well, it's definitely not gritty, but it's pretty dark.
You should hire me. Without all the prerequisite bona fides of work experience/etc.

Why? Because I know the game really well, and I have a firm mastery of English. Plus my (linguistic) aesthetic is beyond reproach. ;)

You know how to reach me.
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
Oh, glad to see you are looking to tie things together a bit more. Right now the pieces of dialogue seem to be missing a framework that links them together and provides all the characters with...character and motivations. Every time I start a new play-through I am amazed by the gorgeous way you weave sentences, and at the same time appalled by the total lack of proper storytelling skills. It's like watching The X-Files, I love the topics, but their scriptwriter should not even be allowed near an etch-a-sketch, even his stick figures would kill themselves over body issues. If anything your current writer(s) just need some guidance to help them create a story instead of a series of amazing oneliners and monologues.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info