What happened Chris? Are you guys ok?

Hello Mr. Chris Wilson,

You are busy, and probably tired because of launch week, so this might just fall on deaf ears.

I am ranting because of this statement on reddit about the changes:

"
Please spread the word about these changes!

This is not the original vision of the league, but if you guys don't like it then we're going to change it until you do <3

Edit: oh also, I want to find a way for net toggling to be easier. Especially if there are more types like this.

Now I am not as eloquent with words like Charan, or as meme as Boem, or as patient as Shags, but I still want to express my support to GGG in these past few years using the forum. I have been ok with most of GGG's decisions because it is their own creative minds at work, and somehow, even if we have strayed away from the more slow-ish and tactical combat and prep to now 40 second map clears, this is fine; because GGG provides the tools, and the players push the game to its limits using those tools.

The Developers develop, and the Players play.

Remember that comment you made about being able to watch Netflix and play? That is also fine with me, because that is still GGG's view on where the game was going: Casual play with some Hardcore play ceiling(Ubers, lvl 100, Totem challenge rewards, Crafting).

"
but if you guys don't like it then we're going to change it until you do <3

I have been playing until 3am today, then I read that, and it killed the hype for me. Somehow reddit is now in charge? The Players develop instead of the Developers? I make web-based softwares for a living, and I can tell you, making the software like exactly how they want it always ends in disaster.

Feedback does not equal Solution. I know you know this, but maybe in that moment you forgot while wearing your Public Relations hat. Don't compromise your principles, find another way.

Ascendancy rework killed my Cast when Stunned builds with the lines "Cannot be stunned by hits you block" and "Cannot be stunned while you have fortify". THIS IS FINE. I can do this still with the Slayer. Builds live and die, but if ever my builds died not because of GGG balance but by Reddit balance, then that would feel doubly bad.

I support the game you make, I hope you don't let these armchair developers do it for you.

Rant over. Maybe the league too, but I hope I get my hype back.

Ocylix
I need more purple titles
Last bumped on Mar 8, 2018, 7:23:02 AM
Yeah reddit is in charge of this league, same as it was in charge of the patch notes. I'm just playing standard because fuck reddit.
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
well said :D

I don't play the game cos some 'numpty nobody' said so ...

have confidence ...

"
Ocylix wrote:
"
but if you guys don't like it then we're going to change it until you do <3
I have been playing until 3am today, then I read that, and it killed the hype for me. Somehow reddit is now in charge? The Players develop instead of the Developers? I make web-based softwares for a living, and I can tell you, making the software like exactly how they want it always ends in disaster.

Feedback does not equal Solution. I know you know this, but maybe in that moment you forgot while wearing your Public Relations hat. Don't compromise your principles, find another way.
They've been compromised for years now.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Not new, Reddit opinion destroyed pvp all together. The game is made for reddit upvotes.
The hivemind is such that if reddit opinion makers start to hate something the whole player base get brainwashed to also hate it.

Reddit not liking something= lost of money for GGG
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
Last edited by Head_Less on Mar 3, 2018, 4:46:22 PM
Gotta hand it to them though, Bestiary is bollocks. I think this is the first league where I've completely and entirely ignored the league mechanic. I ended up ignoring prophecies too, but at least tried them out. The pokemons were a strict ignore from the get-go. Just kill and move on.

Coming from someone who completely ignores reddit.

The time lost tinkering with the pokemon and researching recipes and just dealing with all the hassle completely outweighs the meagre rewards. I can clear more maps instead of dealing with the stupid nets and the stupid recipes which mostly give no reward whatsoever. K10xbye.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Mar 5, 2018, 3:23:45 AM
"
Bars wrote:
I can clear more maps instead of dealing with the stupid nets and the stupid recipes which mostly give no reward whatsoever. K10xbye.

clear speed meta slaves can t handle playing slow game we all get it. Just rename poe ARPG , poe "A" because it seems some people do not like the role playing in arpg and prefer playing it like Xenon 2.

Perfect game for them, the bonuses and add-on are given automaticaly when killing the mob. The perfect dream,how poe should look like for most of reddit.
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
Last edited by Head_Less on Mar 5, 2018, 9:40:20 AM
Well, PoE is more of "A" and less of "RPG". RPG elements just aren't there anymore. They don't belong anymore to a game which deliberately turned into MMO-ish speed grinder.
Not that it's strictly bad - many people like it and are here exactly because of it. Some will fell into it, other won't, doesn't matter. If someone's unhappy with this game, there are others in the wild.
Why is that, why PoE turned into it - better ask developers. Players just follow.
Don't ask players why they refuse to deal with awkward design decisions, which contradict to the direction this game has taken for long.

At one hand, the trend is to speed up the game with every new patch. It's the never ending power creep, the meta shifts and flops, the intentionally imbalanced skills to attract players. Gamers are given mighty tools, resulting in more and more power.
The player base got used to it, and wants its fix with every new league. It's natural.

On the other, there are design decisions completely disconnected from the design trend set up by developers themself.

The Lab - an ugly, foreign arcade object. A tumor. It looks like it doesn't belong to this game at all, but it's yet there. You can't tell why, you scratch your head, can't tell.

The Bestiary - heavy RPG elements, which belong to a game two or three times slower than PoE currently is.
Not that league mechanics are bad. They are poorly implemented because someone was once again in a hurry, but not bad at all. The problem is, these mechanics contradict with the pace of the game. They could be fine with another game, let's say GD for ex. But GD plays at snail pace and there's emphasis on RPG elements by design. It would fit there like a glove, but not in PoE.

You can't blame players who refuse to swim against the flood. Not everyone is hipster or a special snow flake. You have to admit that many people are here exactly for the feel of a fast paced grinder.
You can't blame them for hating with passion the slow league mechanics.

"Watch TV while blowing screens of mobs, will ya?". And then comes the "catch me if you can" pokemon disaster.
Who though it was a good idea, to begin with? It was a recipe for disaster at first glance.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Mar 5, 2018, 2:11:50 PM
"
Head_Less wrote:
"
Bars wrote:
I can clear more maps instead of dealing with the stupid nets and the stupid recipes which mostly give no reward whatsoever. K10xbye.

clear speed meta slaves can t handle playing slow game we all get it. Just rename poe ARPG , poe "A" because it seems some people do not like the role playing in arpg and prefer playing it like Xenon 2.

Baldur's Gate 2, the Civilization series, Heroes 3 are all games I love and have played for decades.

You don't get much slower than them.

It's just that I prefer to play a game well when I play it at all. Completely ignoring the Bestiary mechanic is the optimum strategy. It's basically a giant waste of time. IMO when a total ignore of the league mechanics is the optimum strategy, there's something profoundly fucked-up in the league.

My 2 cents.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
Bars wrote:
It's just that I prefer to play a game well when I play it at all. Completely ignoring the Bestiary mechanic is the optimum strategy. It's basically a giant waste of time. IMO when a total ignore of the league mechanics is the optimum strategy, there's something profoundly fucked-up in the league.

There's a caveat there, being that all this is made under the assumption that efficiency is the only way to play the game and everyone does it. I'd honestly be surprised if that was the case, PoE is a fairly clunky game overall and you have to fight some of its design elements all the time if you want to go as fast as possible, some are even intentionally done as speed bumps. And not that it doesn't have anything to offer to those playing with different motivations, as soon as you make your league goals more modest buildcrafting opens up considerably so there's a lot of room for roleplaying, there are elements like lab where taking it slow makes sense as much as going fast and a lot of bossfights start getting really good once you aren't able to trivialize them.

So, I suppose there's a good amount of players that are roleplaying PoE, playing it roguelike or whatnot, it isn't the perfect platform for it but it does have something to offer. GGG probably recognizes that and tries to toss a bone in that yard now and then, we get underpowered uniques that might be interesting in other ways, they did a main campaign overhaul and now and then do small improvements to SSF experience. We might assume this league was made more with those players that aren't exactly endgame beasts in mind and it isn't the first time it happened either, but the backlash from the part of the community this isn't even designed for got so severe they were forced to pretty much mutilate the league mechanics.

Not a good neighborly behavior at all if you ask me. If 25% of the players aren't interested in optimal PoE playing and find the concept of more exp blobs in the field terribly boring it makes sense to have 1 in 4 leagues targeted at them, you know, send the message - we know you're here and we love you too so this gift is for you, unwrap and enjoy. Unfortunately, Dudley is having none of that and demands that every gift in the house gets directly approved by him and be suitable for his use if he feels like it.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Mar 6, 2018, 5:56:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info