Why don't we use the same 24 hour clock globally?

With 24 hour time I mean you'd have same time at any place in the world.

An example would be that people who wake up at 6:00 would wake up at maybe 14:00 or some other time, depending where they live.

It would be so much less confusing in many aspects.

Or am I oversimplifying and this would cause more trouble in the global aspect?
Last bumped on Mar 6, 2018, 10:22:30 PM
All for it great idea, as long as we use my timezone as the default one i see no problems whatsoever whit this.
It's ok to be white

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.”

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
Not fun to be woken with international calls at ridiculous'oclock ... people would still need to know my personal 'body clock time zone' so it would be pointless to change the system we have ?
"
jackof8lades wrote:
All for it great idea, as long as we use my timezone as the default one i see no problems whatsoever whit this.

Nothing wrong with that. I'm fine with using whatever timezone as long as everyone sticks to one.

Why not use one based on some "unified" location like north pole or something? Maybe it's a silly one, but as an example.

"
Ribbsey wrote:
Not fun to be woken with international calls at ridiculous'oclock ... people would still need to know my personal 'body clock time zone' so it would be pointless to change the system we have ?

Your "body clock timezone" would still be the same. Only numbers would change. You would still sleep for 8 hours or whatever.

International calls would still happen the same way they do now.

I'm probably misunderstanding you, but seems like you are assuming if everyone uses same timezone - everyone would have to wake up at 6-8am regardless where in the world they are.

They wouldn't.
Morning for some people would be 2am, while for others 3pm.
... or the cost of changing 'opening hours' signs ?

Not being able to watch Australia bring in the new year live because I'm enjoying my own new year celebrations ... very important, if the world was to end it happens in Australia first which is comforting.

Going on holiday and getting confused ... happens anyway, but still :D
The current division of time zones is optimal; it establishes a set of heuristics that allow any individual, regardless of location, to schedule and carry out normal human functions without needing to be an expert in astronomy—those functions are coordinated with the appearance and disappearance of sunlight, and not the ease at which those functions are communicated to different locations.

We already have a global clock (GMT) for which your individual location is assigned a value for easy translation. What gets confusing is daylight savings and the twelve hour clock.

I am fully in favor of abolishing both; this wouldn’t have been an issue twenty years ago, but communication technologies have developed to a point where communicability is more significant now than it was then; however, unless we develop technologies that replace sunlight, it will never be more significant than when the sun rises.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Feb 24, 2018, 2:28:08 PM
The world was fine the way it was but nooooooooo you progressives have to change the dynamic of something that has worked for generations now the world is a shit hole full of subhumans.
Imagine you have been in coma or asleep for a long time and you wake up in a room without windows. There is analog clock on the wall, minute arrow shows 12, hour arrow shows 9. How the hell can you know is it 9 in the morning or 9 in the evening? Thats what looks weird to me, why did they choose this type of clock design? Why not making it so that one day is represented by ONE 360 degrees cycle on the clock? And why such weird numbers - 24 hours, 60 minutes? Wouldn't 10 hours a day and 100 minutes an hour look better and clearer?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on Feb 25, 2018, 3:05:13 AM
It's simply because true globalization is new. Something like this would have only made sense in a time of war between allies or since the dawn of the internet. Otherwise there was never any need for a bunch of nations to coordinate themselves with a bunch of other nations about what they wanted to call the time on a global scale.
"
BearCares wrote:
It's simply because true globalization is new. Something like this would have only made sense in a time of war between allies or since the dawn of the internet. Otherwise there was never any need for a bunch of nations to coordinate themselves with a bunch of other nations about what they wanted to call the time on a global scale.

Except we already have, and have been using, globally coordinated time since the late 1800s, early 1900s. That’s what time zones are, exactly what you describe a historical absence of need for, predating the internet by a century.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info