New Player Help/Suggestions

I just started a couple days ago and after a trying a couple of characters I believe i'm starting to settle on a ranger build , not sure what path tho. I'm currently still in act 2 and now i'm noticing killing monsters is starting to be not so easy. I was looking for a build guide but everything seems to kinda overwhelm me. I haven't used any skill points yet strictly because I don't know what direction to go. I'm sure there's a post on here somewhere to help me out (yes, i'm being lazy).

I'm also kinda noticing from playing/watching a few youtube videos that this game is pretty similar to diablo which is taking me back to a d2 nostalgia. I think i'm around level 25 and as stated above in act 2, is there a certain boss/run I should be doing for loot/experience ?

Any other info/posts/links would be helpful if you think it would help me.
Last bumped on Feb 22, 2018, 7:55:10 PM
On a side note, I just screwed up on the steam link deal soooooo i'll be starting back over from level one...
"
NFGatorMS wrote:
On a side note, I just screwed up on the steam link deal soooooo i'll be starting back over from level one...

You can contact support@grindinggear.com to fix the link for you. Although I think you can get to level 25 from scratch again faster than it would take them to get back to you.
yeah, nothing big lost other than time.
"
NFGatorMS wrote:
I just started a couple days ago and after a trying a couple of characters I believe i'm starting to settle on a ranger build , not sure what path tho. I'm currently still in act 2 and now i'm noticing killing monsters is starting to be not so easy. I was looking for a build guide but everything seems to kinda overwhelm me. I haven't used any skill points yet strictly because I don't know what direction to go. I'm sure there's a post on here somewhere to help me out (yes, i'm being lazy).

I'm also kinda noticing from playing/watching a few youtube videos that this game is pretty similar to diablo which is taking me back to a d2 nostalgia. I think i'm around level 25 and as stated above in act 2, is there a certain boss/run I should be doing for loot/experience ?

Any other info/posts/links would be helpful if you think it would help me.

In general, no, there is no point grinding out XP specifically before you clear the story and get to maps. If you find things are too hard for you it may be worth it, if you really want.

Unlike Diablo, there are no boss-specific drop tables or anything as a general rule. So, no, there isn't much point running a specific thing for that specific drop either. (When you get to maps, sometimes you run a map for a divination card, a set of which turn in for a reward, which can sometimes be used to farm a specific item.)

Beyond that, don't neglect defenses. Keep your elemental resists capped at 75 as soon as you can. Look for life and other defensive stats. A glass cannon doesn't last long in later story mode, let alone maps, in PoE.

You can follow a build guide, if you want, or just pootle around and take what looks good. As you play a bit more you will start to figure out what isn't working for you, and look to guides for how to improve those things.

Best of luck. You really can't do much lasting damage to anything in the game, so don't stress about making the "wrong" choice anywhere.

Oh, last tip: if you want to experience all the mechanics of the Bestiary league, which starts in a week or two, then you will be starting a league-specific character. That means no currency, no items, etc. Fresh start.

(I recommend the leagues, but then, I only play the leagues, so YMMV.)
Last edited by SlippyCheeze on Feb 20, 2018, 10:57:59 PM
"
SlippyCheeze wrote:

In general, no, there is no point grinding out XP specifically before you clear the story and get to maps. If you find things are too hard for you it may be worth it, if you really want.

Unlike Diablo, there are no boss-specific drop tables or anything as a general rule. So, no, there isn't much point running a specific thing for that specific drop either. (When you get to maps, sometimes you run a map for a divination card, a set of which turn in for a reward, which can sometimes be used to farm a specific item.)

Beyond that, don't neglect defenses. Keep your elemental resists capped at 75 as soon as you can. Look for life and other defensive stats. A glass cannon doesn't last long in later story mode, let alone maps, in PoE.

You can follow a build guide, if you want, or just pootle around and take what looks good. As you play a bit more you will start to figure out what isn't working for you, and look to guides for how to improve those things.

Best of luck. You really can't do much lasting damage to anything in the game, so don't stress about making the "wrong" choice anywhere.

Oh, last tip: if you want to experience all the mechanics of the Bestiary league, which starts in a week or two, then you will be starting a league-specific character. That means no currency, no items, etc. Fresh start.

(I recommend the leagues, but then, I only play the leagues, so YMMV.)

Okay , that helps ease my worries a good bit. Are leagues like seasons in D3 to where they only last so long before a restart ?
Leagues last 3 months. At the end everything (characters, stash, hideout, masters) is transferred to a permanent league (temp hardcore to perm hardcore, temp softcore to perm softcore).

Also probably shouldn't save your skill points. Not like you will make a perfect build on your first try :) Just focus on increased life % mostly, pick up some bow damage nodes on your way. Most build guides have leveling trees to help you navigate - could just look for that ignoring other complicating info
Last question, should I be focused on actually finding items or crafting them ?
Save currency for later to buy good stuff. Early on rares you find will be enough to progress. If you got any extra transmutations - use on boots hoping for movement speed, also should pick up magic boots looking for ms or check vendors. You can craft better bow using vendor recipe - vendor any rarity bow + magic/rare Rustic sash + Blacksmith's Whetstone - will get magic bow with % increased phys damage. Try using highest base you can find, which is currently lvl 18 Recurve Bow for you
forget the recipe lol quill rain will carry you for a while :) very lucky if you found it

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info