Newbe Question about Ailments.

Hey,
Nice to meet you all.

In 10 days, there is a huge patch, like many, i'm starting to think to what i'm about to play.

I like making my own build but for that i need to anderstand the rules... and to have a look at what other people are doing (ofc).

My current problem is with the ailments.
I read a few things but i'm still unable to translate a node that improve melee damage and ailments.

Let's say i pick 4 times the node "Destroyer" (near the duelist).
I have a +100% dmge with 2 handed melee weapon, +100% damage with ailments while using a 2 handed weapon.

If my damage is 1 physical.
With the 4 nodes, i will hit at 2 with the 1st bonus.

But what about the ailment? Let's say poison.
Poison deals 20% of the damage.
Without the bonus, my hit damage is 1 and my poison 0.2.
With the 4 nodes, i have a +100% damage with ailment too.
I will hit at 2 and ? I will poison for 20% that amount, for 40% that amount (+100% dmge with ailment) ?
That would give either a 0.4 damage either a 0.8 damage.
The difference is big.

Wich option is real ?
Thx for your time :)
Last bumped on Feb 21, 2018, 8:12:13 AM
Poison and other effects do not benefit from things that increase the direct damage of skills.
Ailment damage is calculated from the base damage of the hit, before any increased/more modifiers. It is only modified by "damage with ailments" and damage type (such as chaos damage for poison) or source (damage over time for poison) modifiers.

If your hit deals 100 base physical damage, you have 100% increased damage with weapons and 50% increased damage with ailments:

Your Hit will deal 100 * (1 + 1) = 200 physical damage.

The poison will deal (0.2 * 100) * (1 + 0.5) = 10 damage per second for two seconds.

Be careful with using tiny values as you did in your post; PoE always rounds down. Thus if you actually deal 1 damage with your hit, the damage of the poison will be rounded down to 0, and no poison will actually be applied.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Feb 20, 2018, 9:45:52 PM
Hohoho, 2 answers... and they perfectly enhance my knowledge.
Thank you :o)
Ok, so let's say I want to play a crit-poison Assassin next league (the overhaul looks great), than I should aim for a shitload of AS, poison/DoT-damage and crit/crit-multi?
Physical does barely nothing?
Weapon damage doesn't matter as well? Only base damage of the skill itself?

So 6 AS with a 200 dps weapon would be better than 4 AS with a 600 dps-weapon, cause the weapon just doesn't matter for the poison damage?

I read the wiki on poison but wasn't sure how it works exactly^^
To my understanding phys with weapon nodes doesnt do anything or stuff like it but base part of weapon is calculated. It just means that if you have to use flat phys.

Same for crit regular crit dont scale b
You have to use aliment crit multi.

Maybe i'm just taliking out of my ass.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info