LOL DIABLO 3

"
The one time I played D3 even semi-seriously, it was on console with a mate overseas. I went Wizard. I used that ridiculous homing missiles skill and just sat there, acting like a turret. At the time, I thought, this is stupid, but at least I can drink a few beers and shoot the shit with a friend at the same time. Still, thank God PoE is nothing like this...

HAHAHAHAH oh man, how times have changed. Sure, we don't have homing missiles that we can continually cast but we certainly have the ability to wipe out entire hordes at a distance with a few clicks. People don't want to admit it but PoE2018 is a lot closer to D3 than we CB testers ever expected. I don't think that's a good or bad thing. It's just what is.

maybe for the streamers or the elite 5% players. or school children or nolifers.

certainly not for casuals or pple like me.

i constructed this shit (see below) recently while leveling my six different classes to cavern of anger / merveil.

looking at it, i still dun have an idea of how to make a build that can do 1 mil dps. poe is complicated.

http://oi64.tinypic.com/w20tc9.jpg

34pre98qua
"
stkmro wrote:
"
The one time I played D3 even semi-seriously, it was on console with a mate overseas. I went Wizard. I used that ridiculous homing missiles skill and just sat there, acting like a turret. At the time, I thought, this is stupid, but at least I can drink a few beers and shoot the shit with a friend at the same time. Still, thank God PoE is nothing like this...

HAHAHAHAH oh man, how times have changed. Sure, we don't have homing missiles that we can continually cast but we certainly have the ability to wipe out entire hordes at a distance with a few clicks. People don't want to admit it but PoE2018 is a lot closer to D3 than we CB testers ever expected. I don't think that's a good or bad thing. It's just what is.

maybe for the streamers or the elite 5% players. or school children or nolifers.

certainly not for casuals or pple like me.

i constructed this shit (see below) recently while leveling my six different classes to cavern of anger / merveil.

looking at it, i still dun have an idea of how to make a build that can do 1 mil dps. poe is complicated.

http://oi64.tinypic.com/w20tc9.jpg

Oh, we all have our PoE excel sheets -- I made a bunch when designing the swords. But it's all just make-work, when in the end you're just doing the same thing. There's no real meaningful outcome of all this, other than personal satisfaction. Which is fine, since that's what most hardcore hobbyists do. But I'm willing to bet there are people out there who've gone just as hardcore into the theorising of D3, even though it's obvious you don't have to. It's just the nature of any hobby or pastime. They all have their hardcores, their casuals (which you are not, by the way -- that spreadsheet is not casual material, even though it might seem it compared to some here), their tourists and their hopeless no-lifers.

Strip that unnecessary complexity away and I'm sorry but PoE2018 is so much closer to Diablo 3 than PoE2012 ever was or was imagined to become.

A shame it doesn't have Adventure Mode though.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Strip that unnecessary complexity away and I'm sorry but PoE2018 is so much closer to Diablo 3 than PoE2012 ever was or was imagined to become.

I'm glad we still level through the campaign. I've seen requests for leveling up in Maps and I hope GGG never gives in. That would always be more efficient, so Path of Exile's endgame would be identical to its leveling experience - just like Riftlo 3.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
Sarno wrote:
"

I'm glad we still level through the campaign. I've seen requests for leveling up in Maps and I hope GGG never gives in. That would always be more efficient, so Path of Exile's endgame would be identical to its leveling experience - just like Riftlo 3.

I've been asking for an alternative leveling stream since 2013. I was sort of surprised to discover it in D3 almost randomly. You should remember that the real prototype for Mapping, Torchlight, also had an alternative levelling stream in the form of Dungeon Maps you could buy in town. Locking such a cool idea away for 'end-game' always struck me as half-baked but at least Part 2 of PoE gives us filthy bottomfeeders access to some of the cooler tilesets in the game.

The story is good but it's not that good. And at times it's just fucking torture. In the words of Chris 'I made PoE, bitches!' Wilson: why is Act 4 so long? So I think a side stream for levelling at the cost of not getting quest rewards would be interesting.

Also, thank you for helping keeping this off-topic thread on-topic. It's almost like it could exist in a different forum, yknow, just in case Off-Topic were to ever, I dunno, have an accident, god forbid.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
People don't want to admit it but PoE2018 is a lot closer to D3 than we CB testers ever expected.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but PoE has surpassed D3 in the zoom zooms. There's nothing quite like PoE anymore for this. It's one of the good thing of D3's infinite difficulty scaling I guess, eventually you get to a point where you can't 1 shot entire screens at a time. While bosses in PoE can be hard, trash (even in T16) has become inanimate and soulless exp, it's just more of the same.
"
Namcap wrote:
"
People don't want to admit it but PoE2018 is a lot closer to D3 than we CB testers ever expected.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but PoE has surpassed D3 in the zoom zooms. There's nothing quite like PoE anymore for this. It's one of the good thing of D3's infinite difficulty scaling I guess, eventually you get to a point where you can't 1 shot entire screens at a time. While bosses in PoE can be hard, trash (even in T16) has become inanimate and soulless exp, it's just more of the same.

What bubble? You're just agreeing with me, and taking it even further. Cheers!

"
I've been asking for an alternative leveling stream since 2013.

Oh dear... it's as if we're fated to never agree. :P

"
Locking such a cool idea away for 'end-game' always struck me as half-baked

That's fair; I understand (and usually share) the mentality that games should be fun from the start, and that "it gets good after X hours" is a pretty shoddy excuse to hide behind.

I just can't help mourning so many aspects of Diablo III. Blizzard created a campaign; nobody plays it because they've Rifts and those are "better". Blizzard created Bounties; unless you need a specific item (e.g. RoRG), nobody does them. Blizzard created some cool legendaries with interesting properties; but you hit the level cap in an hour, and it's BIS-only gear from there on in.

I miss the RMAH era of Diablo III. Act II Inferno being nearly impossible, the Crypt runs, the farming of Nephalem Valor stacks. I miss enjoying the game's combat and believing the game was flawed but had potential - that the right changes would elevate it to greatness. It seems like the Kool Aid belief is that Reaper of Souls "saved" the game. I think it's better than it was, but I no longer see that potential in it. Only compromises and a sad resignation to mediocrity.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

"
Sarno wrote:
"
I've been asking for an alternative leveling stream since 2013.

Oh dear... it's as if we're fated to never agree. :P

"
Locking such a cool idea away for 'end-game' always struck me as half-baked

That's fair; I understand (and usually share) the mentality that games should be fun from the start, and that "it gets good after X hours" is a pretty shoddy excuse to hide behind.

I just can't help mourning so many aspects of Diablo III. Blizzard created a campaign; nobody plays it because they've Rifts and those are "better". Blizzard created Bounties; unless you need a specific item (e.g. RoRG), nobody does them. Blizzard created some cool legendaries with interesting properties; but you hit the level cap in an hour, and it's BIS-only gear from there on in.

I miss the RMAH era of Diablo III. Act II Inferno being nearly impossible, the Crypt runs, the farming of Nephalem Valor stacks. I miss enjoying the game's combat and believing the game was flawed but had potential - that the right changes would elevate it to greatness. It seems like the Kool Aid belief is that Reaper of Souls "saved" the game. I think it's better than it was, but I no longer see that potential in it. Only compromises and a sad resignation to mediocrity.

I wouldn't be here if Blizzard had kept the original rune plan, which much closer resembles the skill gems/supports of PoE. True fucking story. That one change pulled me away from close to 50 hours on the D3 closed beta alone, and sent me googling for d3-alikes, and totalbiscuit's legendary WTF is...Path of Exile video...and me begging for a key...and becoming the biggest sucker for support packs in the history of indie ARPGs made in the Southern Hemisphere...

After that, I couldn't play D3. A certain GGGer *gave me* a spare D3 key for educational purposes and I still couldn't get past act 1 due to boredom. It took consolification, an active dodge button and beer to get me through the 'story'. Which I don't even remember.

BUT I enjoyed the basic game play, so you can bet that Adventure Mode on ps4 kept me going for...a little while. Until I found boots that gave me 10k life regen a second and then it was just boring.

"
It took consolification, an active dodge button and beer to get me through the 'story'. Which I don't even remember.

Angels = Heaven = Good

Demons = Hell = Bad

The Angiris Council (Angel politicians) once voted on whether to kill every human because we're not as good as they are. So what's good isn't necessarily good for us. An evil butterfly lady killed Deckard Cain. Also I think there was something about Tyrael taking his clothes off.

(I'm... not joking...)

Edit: Also, Tyrael left Heaven by being pulled through the ground of Heaven, and then fell through the planet's atmosphere before hitting the ground. So Heaven might be a spaceship.

----

Last edited by Sarno on Feb 20, 2018, 8:33:13 AM
Okay, when I said I don't remember, after mentioning 'beer', that was your cue to mentally add: 'and I don't *want to remember*'. Stop sharing your pain with me. It's not helping anyone. :(

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info