Supporting GGG and PoE, but not necessarily Bestiary Leaguespansion

Sure, torturing and killing animals for shits and giggles may be a favoured hobby of juvenile psychopaths.

But ritually sacrificing beasts for power seems more of a utilitarian 'means to an end' type of thing. The beasts you've captured aren't so much your playthings to torture as they're resources to harvest.
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.
Half the world still sacrifices animals,but if its in a game? Shit gets serious.
Last edited by Kasapnica on Feb 16, 2018, 5:53:30 AM
"
Kasapnica wrote:
"
BTW I'm ignoring all the 'sjw' and 'it's just a game' crap because these people, and most of the antagonistic posts are by the usual suspects and local badasses, are deliberately missing the point to cause trouble and/or react with the typical gamer's acumen and willingness to engage in topics that require a little more critical thinking than 'which number is bigger'. I've no time for that.

Ignore it all you want,its true.

Know what is funny and what the difference between you and me are? I have lot of pets,i probably love animals more than humans. Yet i don't get triggered by a damn game.

The fact you even posted this thread is the very definition of a SJW. The same people with the same argument is why we can't have things like Married with children today.Complete and utter inability to distinguish reality with fantasy.

Just to remind you,in china they EAT cats and dogs. Wonder how you feel about this,oh and fry mouses alive. Me? I feel bad,but i won't judge.

It's pretty simple though.

Path of exile is an ARPG, there is no role playing element in this expansion. The designers specifically dictate what role you are performing.

This means they fundamentally failed at creating ARPG content.

I mean, this would be fine if the game presented you at the start with 1 character and specifically said upon starting to play "you will be taking on the role of X".

This might be meaningless for you, and i won't be losing any sleep over it either, but it is important to acknowledge it because it is an accurate assessment.

And i say PoE is an ARPG, because it gives itself that tittle.

While more accurately its an ARPG for the first 20 hours and then is a shoot-em-up.(with accompanied simplified character progression)

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
Spoiler
All i see in this thread is people incapable of differentiating between the act of killing out of necessity and the intent to torture.

And i think a fair point is being made, but not because of the way GGG presents it, but because of the way GGG is not presenting it.

That is to say, its an action role playing game, thus inherently it should present the player with feature's to enable acting out different roles.

For example, if you had the option between

1) a beastiary
2) an animal sanctuary

And if out of that arises the consequence of choice to

1) ritually kill the animals for personal gain, perhaps even torture increasing their inherent hatred making them better cultic sacrifices
2) ritually fight them to release the corruption and then release their purified forms again

In this case, choice is presented to the player and he can develop his "role" in the grand scheme of wreaclast. Wherever he wants to position himself inside the story morally.

The fundamentals of the league are pretty clear cut.

- hunt and collect
- enable them as functions within the crafting system

Nothing dictates out of this that this should inherently only happen in a morally corrupt way.
Which does in fact go against some of the characters we have the choice of playing.(ranger being the easiest to identify as "not being ok" with this whole ordeal)

Peace,

-Boem-

Please. Come on. You guys have to be trolling?

Necessity/intent to torture? To answer this, you have to define necessity to me. We can talk all we want about the choice we should have. Hell, in "most" RPG's you have the choice to talk yourself out of a fight. You do not in PoE. Is it morally corrupt to kill because of it? Why is it more morally corrupt to capture an animal than to kill it - slowly - with poison?

Yes, we could have been given the choice. But we were not. Wraeclast is a dark place. We kill gods for power. Animals for power. Humans for power. And the moment "capture" comes into play, we demand choices?

I actually feel VERY stupid now, something I rarely do, because I do not understand this debate. I may be showing it pretty clearly.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Boem.

I agree with you here,but i mean were both here for a long LONG time. You have an Aztec inspired culture,zones that pretty much used concentration camp footage etc. Its just fitting.

the "A" in "ARPG" nullifies the "RPG".
Last edited by Kasapnica on Feb 16, 2018, 6:04:37 AM
Spoiler
They are not real animals, they're just pixels on your screen.
Life goes by like a fart in the wind.
"

The albino rhoa is an interesting case that I can't talk about. I know some things and probably not others. But your side-point there is relevant here because...why? I'm curious why you feel the albino rhoa is above anything else.

Not really 'above'. Difference between albino rhoa and basically everything else is that it doesn't attack me. I'm fine with culling it but capturing it for a sacrifice would make me feel bad.

Other 'innocent' animals team up with bandits and what not to try and kill me. If it was about hunger, they'd be taking down a bandit or two, yet they instead decide to team up with bandits and go for me. I consider this to be their choice, and will have no moral issues with sacrificing any that prove hostile towards me.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
Boem wrote:
Spoiler
All i see in this thread is people incapable of differentiating between the act of killing out of necessity and the intent to torture.

And i think a fair point is being made, but not because of the way GGG presents it, but because of the way GGG is not presenting it.

That is to say, its an action role playing game, thus inherently it should present the player with feature's to enable acting out different roles.

For example, if you had the option between

1) a beastiary
2) an animal sanctuary

And if out of that arises the consequence of choice to

1) ritually kill the animals for personal gain, perhaps even torture increasing their inherent hatred making them better cultic sacrifices
2) ritually fight them to release the corruption and then release their purified forms again

In this case, choice is presented to the player and he can develop his "role" in the grand scheme of wreaclast. Wherever he wants to position himself inside the story morally.

The fundamentals of the league are pretty clear cut.

- hunt and collect
- enable them as functions within the crafting system

Nothing dictates out of this that this should inherently only happen in a morally corrupt way.
Which does in fact go against some of the characters we have the choice of playing.(ranger being the easiest to identify as "not being ok" with this whole ordeal)

Peace,

-Boem-

Please. Come on. You guys have to be trolling?

Necessity/intent to torture? To answer this, you have to define necessity to me. We can talk all we want about the choice we should have. Hell, in "most" RPG's you have the choice to talk yourself out of a fight. You do not in PoE. Is it morally corrupt to kill because of it? Why is it more morally corrupt to capture an animal than to kill it - slowly - with poison?

Yes, we could have been given the choice. But we were not. Wraeclast is a dark place. We kill gods for power. Animals for power. Humans for power. And the moment "capture" comes into play, we demand choices?

I actually feel VERY stupid now, something I rarely do, because I do not understand this debate. I may be showing it pretty clearly.

You know why people where bothered by killing the civilians in act5 right?

They weren't out to kill the exile and there was no intent to harm us, thus necessity to act on behalf of survival reaches 0.

Now i would say, how they implemented that was fine because you can "save" them. There is an option to not kill them, which makes it fine that you can.
They are also irrelevant in therms of character power progression in the grand scale.(they don't unlock content whether you kill them or not)

I'm not claiming inconsistency either, my observation would be that GGG just can't be arsed to care about the role playing element, since they put all their eggs in the "shoot-em-up" future.
Fundamentally it's choice that creates differentiation and as a result "role" forming.
And league's and content have hardly ever delivered on those options.

If they fundamentally wanted it, they would have set-out with 15 types of resistances for example without the ability to uniformly cap all of them.(nullifying the choice all together)

I'd say this league is consistent with past behavior and the discomfort for charan is the lable GGG utilizes for it's game.
Who arguably, needs to implement his own rules to shape "roles" within PoE due to absence of design support.

Peace,

-Boem-
"
Boem wrote:

It's pretty simple though.

Path of exile is an ARPG, there is no role playing element in this expansion. The designers specifically dictate what role you are performing.

This means they fundamentally failed at creating ARPG content.

I mean, this would be fine if the game presented you at the start with 1 character and specifically said upon starting to play "you will be taking on the role of X".

This might be meaningless for you, and i won't be losing any sleep over it either, but it is important to acknowledge it because it is an accurate assessment.

And i say PoE is an ARPG, because it gives itself that tittle.

While more accurately its an ARPG for the first 20 hours and then is a shoot-em-up.(with accompanied simplified character progression)

Peace,

-Boem-

ARPG is just a moniker, does one exist where there is actual meaningful role playing?
"You want it to be one way, but it's the other way"
"

ARPG is just a moniker, does one exist where there is actual meaningful role playing?

I'd say a functional role playing game offers choice.

And choice imply's weakness as-well as strength. Else, there is absence of choice and just "the best route to victory" instead of "one of the plausible routes to victory".

Old role playing games had this in the forms of multiple resistances and the inability to itemize all of them.(limited gear slots/value's and total amount requirements)

This would lead to a player having to make important decisions with "weight", like being highly immune to dark,lightness and fire, while at the same time being vulnerable to water, ice and lightning.

This then results in differentiated encounters in a game setting.

PoE delivers this on a very minimalism scale and at the top-end converges to absence of fundamental weakness.
You can build around a weakness, but there is no need for it.

That's after five minutes of thought though. I'm pretty sure there is more to it.

Peace,

-Boem-

edit : never used or seen the therm "moniker" so cheers for that.

Somehow my intuition links "moniker" to a butterfly, which would make sense.

edit2 :

Spoiler
I'd say this league is the culmination of GGG's round table discussion around

"people are no longer stopping to look at rares"

And i reckon, people will continue to not look at rares based of what i'm seeing.
Last edited by Boem on Feb 16, 2018, 6:49:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info