[3.8] ♛ Hank the Tank™ ♛ - The Manliest Man ☛ Cleave & Bladestorm [Delve 500+][Uber Atziri/Elder]

"
So, thoughts on sand stance?

No real thoughts. The little bit I did care about I think I covered in the FAQ.
Proud creator of Hank the Tank™:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2087746
☛ ♨ ♂ ✌ www.youtube.com/captainwarlord ♂ ♨ ✌ ☚
What are your thoughts on using Devoto's Devotion with the cleave enchant? Worth it over a more traditional high armor helm w/enchant?

Thank you for your detailed guide; pretty new player and I've learned a lot working with this build!
"
What are your thoughts on using Devoto's Devotion with the cleave enchant? Worth it over a more traditional high armor helm w/enchant?

Not really, no. The move speed seems wasted since you barely ever actually walk (or at least I don't). The attack speed sure is nice, so is the Chaos res, but it has no Life or Elemental res. It's a helmet for Cyclone or whatever. Not really something I'd use with this build.
well it's getting close to end of league and this is definitely the best build i've ever run (well there was an aegis/incinerate build back in the day and it was pretty cool too).

* i can run t15 maps with nasty mods - no problem.
* i defeated all the guardians on my own, for the first time, and went to shaper on my owen, for the first time (hydra sure is a pain in the ass though).
* super fun to tank the f*ck out of stuff while million+ meta cyclone DPS builds are getting 1-shot (it's STILL funny).
* got to level 94 on my own (usually i have to leech off of red map groups). i've only done that in one other league- harbinger - running beachhead rotas. did this just running red maps.
* I'm 1/2 way to level 95 - never gotten this close to in a league. i don't think I can quite do it - i have a bad habit of picking really hard maps and unlocking all those damn legions. LOL.

Sadly i was unable to defeat shaper. first time i've ever run it and he kept getting me with that f*cking beam. also i like the way those vortexes open up in the red globe when you are trapped in there. real nice GGG.

those meta cylone build sure can clear, but i can't tell you how many times i was in a group and they were portaling back in while i was tanking a whole bunch of legion shit :-D

I did all this after quitting the league and coming back to it about 1/2 way through and picking up hank the tank, so not even a full league. and to top it off, i'm pretty casual, so it's not like i'm playing all the time.

I have to admit - this was a really lucky league for me with the currency - so I was able to craft the weapons. I'm unclear of how much of a difference that makes, but certainly with them build is super-strong.

Great build !

thanks Captain Warlord!
"
plasticeyes wrote:
* i defeated all the guardians on my own, for the first time, and went to shaper on my owen, for the first time (hydra sure is a pain in the ass though).

Yes. Hydra and Phoenix are my least favorite. Chimera is actually fun with this build.

"
plasticeyes wrote:
Sadly i was unable to defeat shaper. first time i've ever run it and he kept getting me with that f*cking beam. also i like the way those vortexes open up in the red globe when you are trapped in there. real nice GGG.

Shaper is very easy once you know the fight. There's really not much to it. Takes a little practice:

You can bait his beam by circling him so that he shoots his balls, then walking up to him in melee range. Most of the time he will start the beam, sometimes he will slam. Vortexes pop up frequently on the edges of the arena; you can look for them and pop them in safe places. If you get one while in the bubble, you can try and run in a circle to avoid popping it or pop it at the edge so you still have a place to stand in. In the bubble, aka. bullet hell phase, you shouldn't panic and just wait it out and see what he does. Most people die because they immediately panic and run out into stray projectiles and get killed. Seriously, kill him a couple more times and soon you will laugh at how easy he can be.

"
plasticeyes wrote:
Great build !

thanks Captain Warlord!

Glad you enjoyed Hank :) You can help by recommending it to your friends.

Cheers.
Basically done for the league... killed Shaper a few times, tried Uber Elder (but didn't have much luck, new to the fight) and overall near-finished gearing a character for the first time, as well as full normal map completion (just missing a few unique maps).

I ended up picking up some INT from a jewel to go with my amulet & passive tree and grabbing The Brine Crown for freeze immunity instead of multi-modding some boots. This meant I couldn't QUITE max my chaos resist (maybe with better jewels) but it was cheaper, not to mention the helm is still awesome for Hank.

I feel 3.7 Hank is probably the best version of the build yet, as most of his earlier weaknesses in DPS and AoE were patched up by the melee revamp and the Impale passives granting a huge boost through Master of Metal, while still retaining his beautiful tanky nature (and even improving on THAT, Soul of Steel is NUTS).

Looking forward to the new league, and a revamped Hank to challenge it!
"
Wanderer14 wrote:
I feel 3.7 Hank is probably the best version of the build yet

Yes. Can confirm. 3.7 Hank has taken me the farthest so far and is also the most fun iteration ever.

Hey Warlord, slightly off topic, but I'm asking you since you're one of the few people I've seen who actually understands défensive layers : versus one-shots, dodge, évasion and block are functionally almost identical right? (And not very good at it)
"
Hey Warlord, slightly off topic, but I'm asking you since you're one of the few people I've seen who actually understands défensive layers : versus one-shots, dodge, évasion and block are functionally almost identical right? (And not very good at it)

If you are asking whether they are all Boolean, as in yes or no/true or false, then yes. You either die or you don't. There's nothing in between. There's no mitigation at hand, it only checks whether the event is positive (as in yes, you get hit) or negative (as in no, you don't get hit).

E: Actually, if we want to expand on that, a one-shot is a one-shot. Doesn't matter if it's chance based defenses or not. In the case of all three you can still build mitigation, but they are all just checks of yes or no. But relying on just chance based defenses simply means your chances of getting one-shot are much higher.
Last edited by CaptainWARLORD on Aug 17, 2019, 11:25:36 AM
"
"

If you are asking whether they are all Boolean, as in yes or no/true or false, then yes. You either die or you don't. There's nothing in between. There's no mitigation at hand, it only checks whether the event is positive (as in yes, you get hit) or negative (as in no, you don't get hit).

E: Actually, if we want to expand on that, a one-shot is a one-shot. Doesn't matter if it's chance based defenses or not. In the case of all three you can still build mitigation, but they are all just checks of yes or no. But relying on just chance based defenses simply means your chances of getting one-shot are much higher.

There are 3 types of dangerous damage situations all described as one shots - but they are not all the same:

- The classical one shot - for example a slam of 10k damage
- Physical burst - run around a corner into 20 beefed up shooters, get 20 * 1.5k of damage in less than half a second
- Magic burst - spells doing lots of damage in many hits in some boss fights, especially when standing in the wrong location and getting shotgunned.

All 3 situations are in principal avoidable - but no one is playing 100% wake all the time.

Hank(and similar builds) is the only one that can relieable survive the big burst, since most of them are most time physical. Soak builds excel here, too - when they have really big buffers (Not the standard 9k life). Block builds gamble here.

Type 2 is handled by hank good, too - here a block build works, too. Especially self healing (Aegis & co) can survive this pounding completely unharmed. Soak builds will get destroyed.

Type 3 is the Achilles heel of hank - besides Resistances and fortify there is no real defence. Damage goes into a small life pool. Here spell block builds are best, and soak second.

Type 4: Big magic slam. Very rare, speak Atziri double explosion. Only soak builds can survive this, and (spell) block builds gamble. Hank is flattend by this.

Since type 2 damage is the most common, followed by type 1 (slams and explosions), the overall tank performance of Hank is very good. Type 3 +4 damage has to be avoided by piloting and knowing the fight.

A soak build surviving Type 1 and 4 damage is mostly only possible with energy shield, since more than 14k buffer is needed.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info