The Elder is too hard

*Sigh*

OTL

Remember, folks - for a remarkably large percentage of the playerbase, the Elder is the first/only 'endgame' boss they've seen. Not everybody farms their way up to eight-mod Guardian maps and Shaper fights within six hours of league start. This is the first time they're encountering this junk. I know it's the first time I've managed to fight my way to Guardians, and I still haven't seen the Shaper. Being piss-asses to the newbies is not great form.

That said? Guys...hate to say it, but the forum blowhards are more right than wrong on this one. The Elder is not a terribly difficult fight; I've had much harder times with Guardian fights or even certain red map bosses with the wrong rolls. yeah, the first couple-odd times you go against the Elder he may well catch you because you don't know his mechanics or how his attacks work, but it doesn't take too long to pick up on those, and when you do he's...not really a huge problem. Uber Izaro on a bad day is a significantly nastier threat than the Elder fights I've fought. Admittedly I haven't gotten him to spawn on red maps yet, but the fight mechanics are the same across all tiers, it's just his numbers that get better or worse.

Watch a few videos of the fight; Engineering Eternity's done a pretty solid job of breaking the Elder fight down. Accept that you'll get roughed up your first few times, like every Endgame-y boss. And then smile a little because Grinding Gear finally put in an Endgame-y boss that anyone can work their way towards, which I think is a very nice touch and quite healthy for the game given how drastically few people ever manage to see the Shaper or Uber Atziri (and how many people hate the Lab too much to enjoy the Uber Izaro fight).
The elder has been chilling on my atlas for a long time. I fought him once. He smacked my face off. I didn't go back. I am les skeered.
Gimme a couple hours to get off-shift and send me an invite. I'll go bitchsmack him off your Atlas for you (assuming you're in Abyss). I actually rather enjoy the fight, and I may as well do my bit to show people it's not 100% undoable.
"
1453R wrote:
Gimme a couple hours to get off-shift and send me an invite. I'll go bitchsmack him off your Atlas for you (assuming you're in Abyss). I actually rather enjoy the fight, and I may as well do my bit to show people it's not 100% undoable.

It certainly depends on a build. When playing my first char, second Elder appeared on T15 map and I realized that it is 100% impossible to do with my setup although all the content except Shaper was piece-a-cake (was playing tri-totem DD Chieftain with selfcast unearth spam. Problem was positioning (the need to spam unearth under his feet), taunt not working and inability to deal with the DoT creating squids fast enough due to playstyle). The build just wasn't suitable for that so I was using the Elder as the source of influence on high tier maps until I made a claw flicker slayer that was able to take him down just fine..
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
"
1453R wrote:

Damnit. If I saw this post, I would've paid you the one exalt I have to my name to do that hah. Oi.
Eh. Send me a PM or some such, so I'm reminded when I get home tonight. No need for the exalt, it's no real hardship for me in Abyss. I've got a Molten Strike Inquisitor I didn't realize was going to be meta as hell this league until I was a couple weeks in and seeing a billion Molten Strikers everywhere; I can literally just stand on his toes and beat him with fireballs until he falls over. Heh, hand me five chaos for my time and I'm cool. If you've got him lodged on a red map I'll do it for free just to cap off that achievable.
(1) Troll?

(2a) I think you meant to say "The Elder is Hard". Yes, yes it is. So is Shaper, so is normal Atziri and the bosses leading up to her, if you are new, casual, never did the fight before, etc etc. Reams of people will say Git Gud (die in a fire, ridiculous saying) but it is all relative.

(2b) I guess to support my own previous statement, I think you meant to say "The Elder is too Hard For Me".

Took down elder on T14 map with 5.2k life and frost blades 250k boss damage character. It took me 5 tries. I had killed white and yellow elder before that I knew base mechanics but since white elder is a joke and just melts with any descent build,I had to learn some things and just test stuff. It still took 3 portals to take him down on 5th try,because it was 5 a.m and my reaction speed was non-existent. tough fight for sure,but doable even with squishy builds,you can dodge most of his attacks but you need to kill little piece of shit squids quickly or arena will fully be covered in phys degen ground.
"
Tian_Yihao wrote:
And here i'm thinking elder is too easy for his position... Tedious and somewhat slow fight, down him in like 1-2 second, then wait for this shaper shit to be over with, just to smash him down in another second..

just let Shaper die and kill the Elder. Saves you 2-3 minutes of Portal smashing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info