What methods work best when studying for the GED test?

Are conventional classes a better way to prep for the GED test? What if somebody has a job and couldn't keep up with the schedule? Is studying online an effective method as well? They say it's faster and easier. There are test prep sites that provide free resources too, right?
Last bumped on Feb 27, 2018, 5:54:15 PM
What materials are covered by the GED?

I would suggest checking out Khan Academy. They’re completely free to use, and have classroom quality video lectures. I’ve found this format much more conducive to learning than textbooks and whatnot. Really great resource that I still use whenever I need a refresher in something.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
The test was really easy, and I didn't even need to study to pass mine. It's designed so low IQ people can pass it with a minimal amount of study. But so is actual HS for that matter.

I got banned from HS, as in expelled. I was a class clown, and just an all-round trouble maker. Fun times, if I could rewind time, I would totally do it again. I loved getting under the skin of the school administration with passive aggression. Fuck society. I'd tell you guys about some of my antics in HS, but that's for another topic. The GED is easy.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Feb 9, 2018, 1:52:31 PM
I did a basic summer course* for mine, like 2h/day, 3d/week for 6ish months. I passed. This was after being out of school for a couple years due to medical issues (so, a fuzzy memory of most things).

It's quite easy if you try instead of dinking around.

*in-person. group of 10ish people ages 17-50

edit: but yeah, seconded Khan Academy. they have some really great stuff in short very well explained videos, and lessons.
also, GED covers all the simple basics. basic math (probably no higher than algebra, iirc), science, reading/short story comprehension, etc. Mine didn't go into physics or world history or trig or geometry.
rawr. fear me.
Last edited by tidbit on Feb 9, 2018, 9:41:33 PM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
The test was really easy, and I didn't even need to study to pass mine. It's designed so low IQ people can pass it with a minimal amount of study. But so is actual HS for that matter.

I got banned from HS, as in expelled. I was a class clown, and just an all-round trouble maker. Fun times, if I could rewind time, I would totally do it again. I loved getting under the skin of the school administration with passive aggression. Fuck society. I'd tell you guys about some of my antics in HS, but that's for another topic. The GED is easy.

What do you do now-a-days?

anything is everything
"
Manocean wrote:

What do you do now-a-days?

I work as apartment maintenance. I got a pretty wide "jack of all trades" type of skill set. I got a PhD in jury rigging. Childhood friend of mine is the maintenance supervisor. We got quite the frogger maintenance crew, especially now that I'm on board.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Feb 11, 2018, 1:30:43 PM
Depending on what your career goals are, quitting HS and getting your GED might be perfectly viable. If you want to get into med school, law school, or get an engineering, your best bet is a HS degree with a high GPA.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Feb 11, 2018, 1:10:58 PM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
I got a PhD in jury rigging.
Where'd you get it? Johnnie Cochran University?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
My first day of work there, I had to run some new wiring. There was a bad outlet and a switch in one room, and the wire looping them together was bad. I had to cut holes in the fucking wall and run new wire + replace that outlet + switch. Then patch it up and make it look like it never happened after I was done. The person who moved out left an old space heater, and I mean really old, and that's probably what fucked it up. People who can go into an apartment and fix stuff like that get paid pretty decent money.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
I got a PhD in jury rigging.
Where'd you get it? Johnnie Cochran University?

I'll tell you how you get a PhD in jury rigging.

Drop a PS2 system on the ground, doesn't boot, makes an electrical arcing noise. Pop it open and look around, and you got a loose capacitor on the board. Use a toothpick and some electrical tape to push the capacitor back into a position where it makes proper contact with the board. And do it without electrocuting yourself. Problem solved. And that PS2 system still works to this day.

I fucked up my stove last year. It has what appears to be a screen for the timer, temperature up/down. Anyway, the fucking thing got cracked. Upon closer examination, I found out what got cracked was just a plastic cover. What specifically quit working was the temperature *up* button. After taking it apart, there was a button just laying in there loose, which the plastic cover was supposed to hold into place. The button wouldn't go back in place with the damaged cover, so I cut out a hole, and used some tape to hold the button in place from the outside. Call it fixed.

Ex GF had a broken laptop. The screen was smashed, but it wouldn't display to an actual monitor. I took it apart, and unhooked the laptop monitor, removed the mounts, etc. Hook it back up to a monitor, and *boom* it works. The broken laptop monitor was keeping the laptop from displaying to a secondary monitor as well, until I unhooked it. Most people would throw a laptop like this in the garbage.

+ lots and lots of similar types of fixes.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Feb 11, 2018, 1:49:04 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info