Never played Diablo 3 , Please explain why it sucks WITHOUT PoE in mind

Go ahead...
Maybe ill try it soon.
Another day , Another chaos
Last bumped on Feb 2, 2018, 3:37:35 PM
I wouldn't say it sucks. It lacks depth, customization, etc.
Censored.
Diablo 3 is great!

Many great memories from Sanctuary world.

gl hf
Last edited by Rexeos on Jan 28, 2018, 3:54:34 PM
It's a perfectly fine brawl game, just not an ARPG.

Playing monk never disappoints on D3.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
D3 gives out gear like candy; there’s no real satisfaction in the itemization, but you never feel particularly weak. It’s fun if you want to run around and murder shit with impunity for an hour or two. After that the lack of long-term satisfaction becomes palpable, and the murdery goodness starts to feel kinda samey.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
It rarely gets any new content at all (not even items); the story isn't that good; the paragon system is kinda bad (imo any kind of infinite leveling is for that matter); there is no real in depth skill system, only a fixed set of skills with slight variations; there are builds that, while interesting or fun, just aren't competitive with any other build simply for the lack of synergistic items or sets; set boni and legendary affixes are completely overtuned, sets even to the point that not using any set means playing a strictly inferior build; ancient and primal ancient items make the grind even worse; level differences cause exponential difference (you can't really use any kind of item for more than two or three levels at best, unless they're high level with removed or lowered level requirement or hellfire rings/amulets) and last, but not least, the game is pretty much enforced self-found only.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
Diablo III isn't a bad game per se. I'd say that it was a disappointment as, when people saw the names Blizzard and Diablo, they had their hopes quite high. I'd describe it as being a competent game made by people with no particular love for (or familiarity with) the ARPG genre. Skills feel impactful. The engine is mostly fine. The netcode is excellent - far better than PoE's.

When I think of an ARPG I think of a game where it takes a long time to reach the level cap - in Diablo III it'll take you an hour. When I think of an ARPG I think of a game centered around an item hunt - in Diablo III, you get a class set of BIS items shortly after reaching the level cap - the game literally mails them to you. When I think of an ARPG I think of specialization, creating a character for a specific build - in Diablo III, you can freely change anything while in town.

Due to the existence of class sets, there's usually 2-3 builds per class which are viable at the highest level - so when you join multiplayer games (much smoother than in PoE) everyone is basically a clone of everyone else. They're using the same skills, they're wearing the same set items.

In Diablo III you'll get the best items fairly quickly, and the item hunt is centered around finding the same Legendaries but with slightly better numbers, which I find boring in the extreme. It's a tragedy, really - there's a lot of under-utilised assets at the Diablo team's disposal. Lots of Legendaries with interesting properties which you'll never use while levelling up, because it takes no time at all - and once you're at the level cap, anything that isn't BIS is going to be ignored entirely.

The combat's fun. Rare enemies arguably have better mechanics than in PoE. Rifts are fun for a while. You can definitely buy it, buy the expansion, have some fun and get your money's worth. Just be aware that you're buying something you're going to get bored of, and outside of spending $15 on the Necromancer to do the same content with a different class, there's no way of keeping things fresh. It won't replace PoE for you, but it can serve as an alternative for a league or two.

Diablo III's seasons are challenge leagues without the league mechanic. No new content to speak of - it's a fresh start, which can be fun all on its own, but there's a limit to how many times you can do the same content before you get bored. Rifts are great - but they're relied on too much and there'll come a point when you can't face them anymore. A new season won't fix that.

tl;dr: The Diablo series defined the ARPG genre, and Blizzard Entertainment - love them or hate them - have a track record of creating some excellent and very compelling games. Diablo III is competent. While financially it was no doubt worth resurrecting the series, spending several years developing a truly mediocre game only to abandon it left many feeling nonplussed.

Diablo III printed money. A notional Diablo IV might not.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
It's the perfect update to Gauntlet.

That or Crawl, but no one's heard of Crawl.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Sarno wrote:

Diablo III printed money. A notional Diablo IV might not.

I believe we'll find out soon enough.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Sarno wrote:
...spending several years developing a truly mediocre game...

Just curious, what other games are also mediocre and worth to finish and which in your opinion are above average and you finished them as well?
Last edited by Rexeos on Jan 28, 2018, 7:54:12 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info