Could we please have a "dumb" direction-based targeting mode?

So the current targeting system largely works this way:

1. Check which object in the world is under the cursor
2. Path to the location of that object

This can backfire in multiple ways:

- It is impossible to move "behind" an object. This is typically not an issue, but in some cases it really gets in the way. Malachai is a great example: positioning is very important for that fight, but he's so goddamn tall that he blocks a very large portion of the arena if he's on screen.

- Monsters can run under your cursor and drastically change where you move to. Belly/Malformation Piety does this a lot during her spin cycle. One of her pointy bits will turn vaguely near the cursor, and your movement skill will put you right on top of her instead of where you wanted to go.

- Changes in topology can also drastically change where you move to. This is somewhat rare, but things like spike traps in the lab or a CWDT + Frost Wall setup can change pathing unexpectedly, to the point where you click somewhere on your right and you start running to the left.

All of these could be solved by an alternate targeting method that, instead of using the position of the pointed-to object, takes the direction from the player's position on screen to the cursor, and just tries to move in that direction as far as it can. Just for walking and movement skills.

It would make movement soooo much smoother.
Last bumped on Jan 25, 2018, 11:03:28 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
suszterpatt wrote:
Just for walking and movement skills.

Doesnt (for walking only) 'Move only' already do that? (Which should be used for movement skills too of course - not doing that is one of the big bads in PoE UI...)
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
Decent targeting? what do you think this is? Grim Dawn? D2? D3 (fuck that game)? Wolcen? Torchlight 1? Torchlight 2? ect...

And smile more this if POE for fuck's sake
Still failing to solve "The Riddle of Melee" 4.0 HYPE!!!
SILLY BITCH...THE EAGLES ARE COMING!!!
THE EAGLES!!! (bleeds out from a wound to the gut)
the eagles...are...coming...(coughs)...the eagles...
"
Zrevnur wrote:
"
suszterpatt wrote:

Doesnt (for walking only) 'Move only' already do that? (Which should be used for movement skills too of course - not doing that is one of the big bads in PoE UI...)

Nope. Clicking on Malachai's head for example will still cause you to walk to his feet, rather than to the spot obscured by his head (which is what I'm suggesting).

This would also help with the cases where you want to use a skill like Blink Arrow or Leap Slam to escape from danger, but you click on the edge of a wall or something and end up doing nothing.
"
suszterpatt wrote:
"
Zrevnur wrote:
"
suszterpatt wrote:

Nope. Clicking on Malachai's head for example will still cause you to walk to his feet, rather than to the spot obscured by his head (which is what I'm suggesting).

I just tested with various monsters including boss of 'Arcade' map and it did not behave like that for me. If I clicked (once) on the head (so that it shows the name bar of the boss during the click) it moved to the ground as if there would have been no boss head between mouse and ground. I have 'shift lock' active though - do not know if that makes a difference. I also did not test vs Malachai.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
Ok, my bad, regular movement actually does move to the pointed-to location. Movement skills, however, do not.
I mean they could just give a toggle for the shift button so we didn't have to hold it down and get RSI playing this game for longer than 2 hours.

It's annoying and simple functionality that would take a lot of clunkiness out of movement skills.

TOGGLE THE ATTACK-IN-PLACE KEY ALREADY.
The only two things that bug me about positioning, is that it's hard to precisely move to where you intend to with the character locked in the middle of the screen... but only around lab traps.

And opening strongboxes with a character that might consider walking in the area around said strongbox. Nope big overlay window that tells you when clicked, that you can't open the box more than you already did.
Last edited by Scherge on Jan 25, 2018, 8:06:12 PM
"
I mean they could just give a toggle for the shift button so we didn't have to hold it down and get RSI playing this game for longer than 2 hours.

It's annoying and simple functionality that would take a lot of clunkiness out of movement skills.

TOGGLE THE ATTACK-IN-PLACE KEY ALREADY.

Most games do this by allowing shift-lock, which we already have on our keyboard, so adding this feature wouldn't even need a UI update.
Wash your hands, Exile!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info