Risk versus Reward in PoE: Bosses

1/ Do you feel rewarded when killing bosses ?
( including story part )

By reward i mean:

- Loots
- Feelings of accomplishement

2/ If the answer to question 1 is no, why ? What do you suggest to improve that part ?

Note 1: Will sort out suggestions in main post later - at work atm )
Note 2: I did like to also have answers from "new" players if you bringed some to the game recently feel free to share this post with them.
Note 3: Please guys don't include a map drop drama in this thread :D there are better ones for that ahah

Update: Thank you all for your toughts, i appreciated reading your opinions here, hope some more will take patience to answer :)

- Why i created this discussion -

Spoiler
Will try to keep it short:

Items from bosses: One single "worth to open a beer" item from a map boss. Funded 16th characters in Abyss with over 100exalt of gears by just killing trash mobs and doing gold mining ( What was the point to create currencies to end with that ? ).

Killing a boss: Achieved a 3 second kill on each carcass boss phases by just using 3c shaper items. Granted it was a flurry build. But i've no words, i just don't feel rewarded by that shit. Even some magic monsters are harder than that.

"Visual reward": This is something important to me in most of video games, when i achieve something i really like having a confirmation of it specialy in ARPG's, this is commonly named ... loots.
With 3 blue and two rare items dropping on the ground from t16 guardians i've to admit ... this is a bit hard to feel satisfied. Where is my LOOTSPLOSION GGG PLEASE ! BEGGING YOU AT THIS POINT ! Even if it's 99% trash items at least drop some more just for the fun !

Story bosses

Simple, brought few players lately to PoE, and to be honest they didn't felt really rewarded during leveling. Can't detail for themselves tho -

So yeah it's a bit longer than that to explain, and everything isn't about bosses but more generaly powercreep and design.

In conclusion, i created this thread after discussing the subject with friendlist first, and basicly wanted to know if there were some more players ( new or not ), experiencing the same issue than me. No hate here just a little rant and bad taste about the actual PoE era.

MAKE BOSSES GREAT AGAIN.
Hf :)
Last edited by Heli0nix on Apr 12, 2018, 7:52:49 AM
Last bumped on Feb 18, 2018, 2:43:34 PM
1) No waste of time

2) Either they give like a ton of exp or give it better drops I don't fucking know

But usually bosses aren't worth doing if you're doing the whole efficient thing. Especially for phase bosses like that stupid ass scoripion
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Boss uniques? Would those help? If they're good enough, of course and not just vendor trash.

Or would a treasure chest make it worthwhile, labyrinth sized.

Or add xp to the boss depending on the amount of xp you gained in the map so far, thus making a full clear plus boss more rewarding.

Or all of the above.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
1 No, risk vs reward vs time is just borked

2 they could go back down to lower life which is a bad solution, or up the exp and l0ot rewards.
1) Sometimes. RNG. +2 map can be exactly what you want.

2) I would increase the likelihood of lower tier maps so that you at least get some reward. I can see why +2 can't happen all that often, but no map at all shouldn't be nearly as common as it is.

I would like to see the expected vendor-value of a boss drop to be 1/3, or one tier down. That would be modified by your atlas score so that at 100/157 your expectation would be 1. Remember that a +2 is a value of 9... so it just can't happen all that regularly.

For people who want loot rewards... anything that can be found as routinely as a boss drop would have to become vendor trash before long. You just can't get something cool every time.

The real problem is that we're running out of "rewards". The game has become too full of stuff that's reasonably powerful. Rare stuff just isn't all that much to get excited about.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Jan 22, 2018, 11:18:51 AM
Honestly if they made it so each boss GUARANTEED a map drop between -1 and +2 I would probably kill every boss.

Right now if my character can melt the boss i do it otherwise on half my char i just ignore.

1) No bosses are not rewarding.

2) Make the boss drop something guaranteed towards something else. Boss fragments that trade into a specific unique. Guaranteed map drop -1 to +2. Just something... right now bosses are bloated rares that drop even less then rogue exiles.
The thing is, is there really a risk to fighting bosses in PoE? Every boss up to T15 can be breezed through on a budget, and the fights don't really require any substantial time investment. Serious rewards would feel OP for the lack of risk associated with running bosses.
1. NO

2. Here are a few options:

a. Boss has a guaranteed map drop of the same tier, with a 50% chance to drop +1 tier and a 25% chance to drop +2 tier.
b. Boss has increased item rarity and quantity depending on how many monsters have been killed in the map.
c. Boss chest after killing the boss.
1. No.

2a. Drops suck for most bosses, as mostly just end-game bosses are worth farming for drops. There are exceptions, including Hillock for Oni-Goroshi, etc.

2b. The burst damage from some bosses are just not worth the risk, regardless of whether that risk is 10% xp or HC death.

2c. Exceptions for finishing off map bosses, such as for challenges, Zana missions, or Atlas completion. But not for drops, unless high-rolled map and relatively quick & easy boss.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Jan 22, 2018, 11:28:05 AM
"
frzzt wrote:
The thing is, is there really a risk to fighting bosses in PoE? Every boss up to T15 can be breezed through on a budget, and the fights don't really require any substantial time investment. Serious rewards would feel OP for the lack of risk associated with running bosses.

^This

GGG put themselves into a corner, on the one hand we have efficient builds that if done correctly will kill a boss in a second, maybe three. So boss reward can never be substantial since they are trivialized to a great extend.

On the other hand we have "meme" or "non-optimal/efficient" builds that take not just double the time compared to an efficient build but sometimes over a hundred times the time to kill a boss.

Since the discrepancy is so huge, they balance the reward around the most optimal strategy's and everybody else is suppose to "cope" with the situation or the knowledge they are shooting themselves in the foot.

GGG really made the whole "meta" stuff boring as hell to me personally. Since they are afraid of letting it develop naturally and force it at every chance they get.
So the game ends up punishing builds that are not "bad" but aren't "meta" either, which is a very weird thing for a game to do, punish "good" builds.
(by raising the bar for "good" to mean "meta" and excluding all other possibility's)

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info