Elder needs to be toned down. Plan and simple

My first elder was a red elder, died 4 times doing him on the 3rd or 4th day of the league. Was the last time I died to him, but its all about learning the strategy that works for you
Elder is not hard at all.

I'm a complete casual at the game and I've handled yellow Elder multiple times as a complete faceroll (his guardians spawn in Red maps but he keeps spawning in T10 ;_;)

4k life on a jungle is disgustingly low for endgame bossing I think I had 3.5k life by the time i got to Act10 Kitava, 9k dps is tiny (i hope that's tooltip dps, if it's pob dps then I don't know what to say) get better flasks.

You need to competently redo your gear and passive trees, getting 5k life and 20k dps is easy even on a <30c budget. my current Moltenstrike character is at 5.7k life and 30k unbuffed tooltip to about 65k buffed tooltip.

I'd say t10 elder (the highest I've been able to spawn him) is even easier than regular Atziri, which is just sad for him being an endgame boss, with how little scaling there was for the Elder guardians up to T14 I really doubt even red elder is as hard as shaper guardians.
Its honestly your build, im not here to namecall or be negative, im far from some super skilled player but I easily, I mean easily facetank Elder on a t14/15 map ignoring all mechanics, sitting in his goo and just backhanding him until the portal phase, and then rinse and repeat.

If you are struggling on a white map of all things then your build is just absoulte garbage, not you, just the current build/direction you have taken your character. Theres alot of bad information out there, every build online claims to be "shaper viable, uber atziri viable" etc but most excel at the same 2 things, killing trash quickly and blowing up trash mobs 2 screens away, aside from that they tend to be garbage on actual content.

You should shop around for something else that fits your style b/c Elder is hands down 1 of the simplest fights endgame wise, if thats causing you problems you wont be able to progress to anything else like shaper or others.
Last edited by JCOH35 on Jan 23, 2018, 3:02:47 AM
"
JCOH35 wrote:
Its honestly your build, im not here to namecall or be negative, im far from some super skilled player but I easily, I mean easily facetank Elder on a t14/15 map ignoring all mechanics, sitting in his goo and just backhanding him until the portal phase, and then rinse and repeat.

If you are struggling on a white map of all things then your build is just absoulte garbage, not you, just the current build/direction you have taken your character. Theres alot of bad information out there, every build online claims to be "shaper viable, uber atziri viable" etc but most excel at the same 2 things, killing trash quickly and blowing up trash mobs 2 screens away, aside from that they tend to be garbage on actual content.

You should shop around for something else that fits your style b/c Elder is hands down 1 of the simplest fights endgame wise, if thats causing you problems you wont be able to progress to anything else like shaper or others.

*Doubt*

The slam is a one shot unless you have 15K+ES. I don't see how you face tank him full in P1. Maybe lucky and you evaded/blocked the slam.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will take you down to their level and beat you trough experience."
Elder is hard if you have janky dps just like shaper. Since you go through many more deadly attacks and the spawns overwhelm you :V
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Jan 23, 2018, 4:01:01 AM
"
Bone2flesh wrote:
"
JCOH35 wrote:

*Doubt*

The slam is a one shot unless you have 15K+ES. I don't see how you face tank him full in P1. Maybe lucky and you evaded/blocked the slam.

lol please, i facetank shaper's teleport slam aswell with no trouble

watcher's eye with x2 physical damage taken as fire damage/lightning damage ~ elemental resists are 84 and 85% there

enhanced fortify from ascendancy aswell

just b/c it 1shots you does not mean it happens to everyone
"
JCOH35 wrote:

lol please, i facetank shaper's teleport slam aswell with no trouble

watcher's eye with x2 physical damage taken as fire damage/lightning damage ~ elemental resists are 84 and 85% there

enhanced fortify from ascendancy aswell

just b/c it 1shots you does not mean it happens to everyone

He's not wrong you know.
Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506
Elder Isnt really hard, all his abilities are telegraphed well with alot of time to react.

The only dangerous ability is the frost bolt volley, but he casts it only when you are far away from him, so its easier to just stand in melee and take some attacks and only worry about it when you go clear an add (but ranged dont have that issue and melee can just use a warchief/protector, they should be using it on elder for easier portal management anyway)

I died two times alltogether on all my Elders, one was the first elder, died to the aoe because I didnt know I had to stand inside, not outside, the second one was bad overlap, where he casted the aoe and mid aoe channel, he threw silver stars around with the teleport slam, so I jumped outside the circle to bait teleport and jumped back in, but he stayed in the kill zone and shredded me with frostbolts right before the aoe exploded, next time Ill be better prepared for this and do it the other way, wait for his teleport inside, then jump out and immediately back in.

tldr: Its basically "stay in melee as much as possible and save your defensive flasks for bad overlaps, like big aoe + tentacle slam" but if you have any sustain at all, you can fight him for 20 minutes just fine as long as you clear the adds properly
elder on a t14 is hard... i cant even do him on a full block build but its mostly because i get 1 hit to much or to much degen on ground other shit block most of the time

Tried to help someone do a low tier elder on my VD char and got RAPED... how anyone even does these kind of bosses on non block/epicly leeching builds no idea
"
No he doesn't you just need a better build.

He indirectly says what the problem is. We shouldn't need 1 mil+ DPS builds to do an Elder battle means GGG shouldn't be allowing for builds to get that much DPS in the first place. Then GGG can nerf Elder damage down some knowing that no one can create a 1 mil+ build and trivialize the battle. If Elder is balanced around uber builds then these uber builds must not be allowed to exist.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info