Self-Found Gems Challenge (updated for Bestiary!)

Any tips for this challenge ? ive been defualt attacking all the way to level 14 now... merevil caverns, my first and only gem drop was a crit support gem...idk what i can do..
"
omerga123 wrote:
Any tips for this challenge ? ive been defualt attacking all the way to level 14 now... merevil caverns, my first and only gem drop was a crit support gem...idk what i can do..

Be patient, I guess. That's slightly unlucky. You probably should drop one active gem soon.

Also, you probably are doing this, but be sure no gems are hidden in your filter.

EDIT: Ah, yeah, and open all chests and stuff. I dropped a few of my gems from them. Just stopped doing it on act 5 I think.
Chris Wilson took my soul
Last edited by DanutMS on Apr 21, 2018, 5:52:29 PM
"
omerga123 wrote:

Yeah Some runs are lucky aren't. I swear my own challenge hates me. I've ripped like 5 characters and only had like 3 gems. Been way worse luck than usual.

I'm level 9 atm just getting by with my bow.

Make sure you turn over all rocks, and corpses, and click all chests. Keep at it!

Also, Most of my deaths have been getting surrounded any unable to move early since i didn't have an ability to clear a path. So watch out for that.

I also thought the other day that "Bitterdream" is a good idea to try to farm if I can. You can either use it to have a bunch of innate links, or sell it for the supports! I think it's only one of a few outcomes in lower level beastcrafting!
Last edited by jolsen26 on Apr 21, 2018, 5:52:51 PM
"
jolsen26 wrote:
"
omerga123 wrote:

Yeah Some runs are lucky aren't. I swear my own challenge hates me. I've ripped like 5 characters and only had like 3 gems. Been way worse luck than usual.

I'm level 9 atm just getting by with my bow.

Make sure you turn over all rocks, and corpses, and click all chests. Keep at it!

Also, Most of my deaths have been getting surrounded any unable to move early since i didn't have an ability to clear a path. So watch out for that.

I also thought the other day that "Bitterdream" is a good idea to try to farm if I can. You can either use it to have a bunch of innate links, or sell it for the supports! I think it's only one of a few outcomes in lower level beastcrafting!

Im actually playing this on softcore and ive died like 10 times already, and bow is probably the best you can go with, since you can get that phys damage quiver with it and its basiclly the strongest.
Finally had some good luck! Got a gemcutters just prior to merveil with frost blades, inc crit strikes, rallying cry, and flame totem.

Just found a caustic arrow too, so considering that instead.
"
jolsen26 wrote:
Finally had some good luck! Got a gemcutters just prior to merveil with frost blades, inc crit strikes, rallying cry, and flame totem.

Seems like you found a few interesting options already. I'd personally stick to Frost Blades, specially because I find bow skills harder to scale on self-found gear. Looks like it has been your option so far as well.

As for myself, I've been having a lot of trouble with low damage. Almost died to the act 7 boss. When she gets to low life (or the second half, not sure) she starts this attack that spits a lot of projectiles in front of her, and I wasn't prepared for that. The lack of movespeed on boots is also hurting as it takes me longer than I'm used to to dodge stuff. Luckily I have a good amount of life, so I managed to survive this fight, but it was a close call.

I didn't want to decide between axes and maces yet, but I don't think it's possible to go on much longer without a bit more damage, so I decided to spec into the path for Cleaving. I hope things get a bit better with it. I probably should've switched into dual-wielding as well - i got one axe that had almost the same damage of my main-hand one, but ended up vendoring it. That was a stupid mistake.

Last edited by DanutMS on Apr 21, 2018, 10:55:30 PM
And I just discovered that Tolman casts some kind of detonate thing that hurts a lot, and this killed me before I even managed to press a flask. I really should've sticked to main quests.

Oh well, that's the end of a fun story. Level 59, got further than I was expecting. My only other experiences with Hardcore (again, this char is on SC, but I decided I'd play it only till first death, sort of an honour-based hardcore) had ended in the first act, so I do think this run was okay.

I had a lot of fun with it as well, though next time I think I'll have to get a bit more damage - and then play better, as I'd have died much earlier with less life, so I gotta get more careful on the next attempt.

I kinda want to reroll right now, but given that there will be an event starting in one week, I think I'll focus on getting my 36 challenges in normal bestiary. I might give this challenge a new try during next league though.

Btw, what exactly was that attack from Tolman? And what should I have done to avoid it instagibbing me?
"
jolsen26 wrote:

Nice dude, mind me asking what class are you going with ?
I started with a witch which was probably a bad idea becuase there arent a ton of good minion skills, what would you say is the best all-around class ? that can use the most gems ?
"
omerga123 wrote:
"
jolsen26 wrote:

Nice dude, mind me asking what class are you going with ?
I started with a witch which was probably a bad idea becuase there arent a ton of good minion skills, what would you say is the best all-around class ? that can use the most gems ?

I was a shadow. But I died at the end of act 3. Got freeze-locked by freeze pulse guys in sceptre of god. I won't be continuing as I'm in the process of moving. I think the best class is probably juggernaut just because you can get such great mitigation benefits just from the first ascendancy and the endurance charges on the tree, it is pretty limited in skill usage without the ability to get stats from gear. Scion is probably a good all around class that can go in any direction and but you get little benefit from ascending until cruel lab.

Here's another event I came up with if you're interested before the official flashback event: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2135780
Last edited by jolsen26 on Apr 22, 2018, 5:21:16 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info