[3.6]The Pale Master - Death's Oath(Life Based)

The Pale Master

INTRODUCTION

Pale Masters, in D&D, use death magic to damage enemies while healing themselves.
I've spent the last few leagues refining a life version of the Death's Oath build.
I really like how it has turned out. I thought I'd share my variant.

OVERVIEW

Pros:

+ **Very Fast Map Speed**
+ **Relaxing Play Style**
+ **Immune to Reflect**
+ **Can do 99% of Map Mods**
+ **Surprisingly Tanky**

Cons:

- **Not a Budget Build**

SKILL TREE

Scion Pastebin Link: https://pastebin.com/rMhn3dge

Ascendancy Points: Trickster > Path of Shadow > Guardian

Pantheon: Arakaali(Major) - Gruthkul(Mapping)/Yugul(Bossing)

Bandits: Kill All

SKILL TREE EXPLANATION

**The tree follows a simple principle. "Boost damage over time, curse effectiveness, life, and life regeneration."**

LEVELING TREES

Spoiler

Scion Start (Level 40'ish): https://pastebin.com/MdprtEbN

Shadow Middle (Level 91): https://pastebin.com/xHuw7tzU

Final Tree (Level 100): https://pastebin.com/rMhn3dge

JEWELS

Spoiler

**Stat priority %Life > %Damage Over Time > %Area Damage > %Chaos Damage.
There are 4 jewel slots in this build.**

FLASKS

Spoiler

These are our offensive flasks. Sulphur flasks already have low charge usage. Go for the inc. duration.

I've linked two different Basalt flasks here. Take curse immune for mapping. Use inc. armor for bosses.

Just about any bleed removal will work.

Must go FASTER!!

ENCHANTS

Spoiler

Helmet - 40% Bane Damage
Gloves - Commandment of Frost on Kill
Boots - Regenerate 2% of Life and Mana per second if you were Hit Recently

GEAR

GEAR EXPLANATION

Spoiler
Weapon

The Cane of Unravelling gives us our 6-link for Bane. This is for the bossing variant. You may still go with Breath of the Council + Shield for a weapon swap map clearing style.**

Off-Hand

These are listed only for the Breath + Shield variant. Use Lioneye's if you want pure defense/life. Use The Oak if you want more life regen coupled with a more flexible gearing selection. Each are great.**

Helm

I use Voll's because of the defense values and life regen(since we don't equip anything corrupted). There isn't another "good" option. **

Chest

Self-explanatory. It's the core of the build. Try to find high life and high all-stats. The extra Dex will increase your damage some.**

Gloves

I have my current gloves listed. Life + Resists. That's all we can ask for. Still working on the appropriate enchant.**

Boots

A good pair of rare boots. Life, Move Speed, All Resists. This is where roughly 1/3 of your resists will come from. **

Amulet

I have the Chaos variant of Impresence for a specific reason. You can easily run the build with a rare. I recommend a marble amulet with % chaos damage / life / life regen.**

Rings

BIS rings will have All Resists, Life, %Inc Chaos Damage, and Chaos Res. You need to use Essences of Envy to craft the % Chaos Damage. These can be expensive to craft.**

Belt

This is the sleeper in the build. Huge life roll. The fun part is the increase to stats. 1% increase to damage per 5 of your lowest stat. Dex will always be the lowest value. You're going to see upwards of 50% increase in damage from Dex, alone. Also, we're immune to shock and ignite. That leaves only freezing to need a flask for.**

LINKS AND GEMS

Spoiler

Main DPS Setup

**Arcane Surge, Swift Affliction, and Efficacy MUST BE LINKED for them to apply to the Death Aura. Conc Effect, Void Manipulation, and Less Duration don't have to be linked to anything.
Use Vorici's method to add the sockets. It's MUCH cheaper than trying to color the sockets after getting 6S. **

CWDT Setup

**This might look odd. Soul of Arakaali allows us to boost our regen by 50% whenever we proc CWDT. Ensure you have your gems set up with Blood Rage being proc'd BEFORE Immortal Call. The blood rage will stay active. The degen will be countered due to IC's immunity to physical damage.**

Mobility Setup

**This is a typical Flame Dash setup.**

Aura Setup - Curses

**I run Despair in two places. Bane will allows me to keep it applied to tougher mobs + bosses. I also wanted it active while clearing everything else. That's why I have it linked to a Blasphemy.**

Aura Setup - Vitality

**Vitality helps to counter the self-applied DOT from Death's Oath. You can only run 3 auras if you're also running an Impresence! Portal is my choice for the 4th slot.

LEVELING

Spoiler

**Working on detailing this.**

THE END

Last edited by Kade_wolf on Mar 26, 2019, 10:18:48 PM
Last bumped on Aug 29, 2018, 1:53:18 AM
UPDATE LIST:
Incursion
Synthesis
Last edited by Kade_wolf on Mar 26, 2019, 6:35:58 PM
Bump for possible "BotW" hype!
Please add a poe website skilltree link to the build. If you've done that PM me and I add you to the list :)

So far it looks good tho :)

Also props to you for a proper name and a nice style!

ps: Use the url tag for links, I know that you know that we're lazy.

pps: If you want to be BoTW you need something to attract your Meme Queen Bex. Just saying.

ppps: Hi Bex! (just kidding)
█▀▀▌ █▌█▀▀▀ █▀▀▌█▄░▌
█▀▀█ █▌▀▀▀█ █░░▌█▀▌▌
█▄▄▌ █▌█▄▄█ █▄▄▌█░█▌
Can you explain how arcane surge works with death aura? I dont notice arcane surge in my buffs at all.
Arcane Surge adds the 'Duration' tag to the Death Aura so you can support it with Swift Affliction, Less Duration and Efficacy. Without this you do not have strong support gem options for DO.
how do you counter the Death's Oath debuff? I really dont get it

Edit: okay it has to be the Chaos Resist/Life regen. I just equipped Voll's and the Debuff became pretty much a non-factor

plus:
why do you use a "despair gem" with witchfire brew?

Edit2: well, 20k more dps is a reason i guess ^^
Last edited by reylez on Mar 21, 2018, 6:56:08 PM
"
reylez wrote:

Edit: okay it has to be the Chaos Resist/Life regen. I just equipped Voll's and the Debuff became pretty much a non-factor

plus:

The 6 gems in the chest are the only gems that support Death's Oath. That's the reason to use them :)
I'll answer any questions posed. IRL keeps me kind of busy, however.
"
Kade_wolf wrote:
"
reylez wrote:

plus:

The 6 gems in the chest are the only gems that support Death's Oath. That's the reason to use them :)
I'll answer any questions posed. IRL keeps me kind of busy, however.

Hi i actually ment the debuff you get by death's oath chest. I had trouble sustaining my life when i was <70 lvl with -Chaos resist and low liferegen.
Meanwhile the debuff became a non factor :)

I asked the 2nd question (despair/witchfire) before i downloaded and importet your build in PoB. With PoB it became clear that the 20% quality Despair gem offers so much dmg together with a constant use of witchfire.
Thanks anyway for the guide and for your answers!
I really enjoy your build :)

Right now im thinking about skipping the immortal call setup for a withertotem setup and allelopathy gloves
Last edited by reylez on Mar 24, 2018, 1:47:21 PM
actually there IS a better helmet than the one suggested - and it is eber's unification. No life, but 10% more damage, even more against bosses whose chaos res does not go to zero with despair.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info