PoE keeps BSOD'ing

So it all started a couple of months ago. Prior to that I've been able to run PoE just fine. But ever since Path of Exile has been causing crashes almost every time I've been playing it. It always goes as follows:

- I start up the game, things go normally for a good few minutes
- Then after a while, the game starts getting hiccups, most notably in the audio
- This gets progressively worse until the game crashes, the audio hangs and I get a BSOD

I've done a clean Windows install on a new HDD, and I've turned my computer in to the computer store where they completely tested it, including the network adapter, and updated all drivers. Nothing returned any errors. Interestingly, the BSOD before the check-up always said that there was a clock interrupt not received on a secondary processor (0x00000101), but after the check-up it simply said "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" (0x0000009c). Sometimes when I'm playing and it doesn't crash, I get weird artifacts on my screen, especially from particles such as weapon effects. It looks like a laser show. I've mentioned this in the chat as well, and a guy who was tech support said that it was either due to a faulty GPU or a bad GPU to monitor connection. But I'm ruling this out because a) the hardware tests have turned out negative and b) I've tried it on two different monitors with different connections.

My hardware specs are as following:

- Asus P6T motherboard
- Intel core I7 CPU
- Asus EAH5850 DirectCU GPU (ATI Radeon technology) 1GB DDR5
- 8 GB RAM

Could this be strictly related to PoE itself? It's really annoying because I like this game, and I've been able to play it just fine with the same hardware configuration before until recently. The problem came up out of nowhere.
Last bumped on Jan 22, 2018, 12:27:22 PM
"
HAJIMEdj wrote:
So it all started a couple of months ago. Prior to that I've been able to run PoE just fine. But ever since Path of Exile has been causing crashes almost every time I've been playing it. It always goes as follows:

Could this be strictly related to PoE itself? It's really annoying because I like this game, and I've been able to play it just fine with the same hardware configuration before until recently. The problem came up out of nowhere.

That MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION means that the CPU detected a hardware level problem bad enough to be unable to continue. PoE is not the root cause of this. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine-check_exception for more details on what can cause this, debugging and diagnostics, and some tools to decode the error to the specific root cause as reported by the CPU.

It is absolutely possible that only PoE runs code that triggers the problem, either because it does the right stuff to the CPU, works something hard enough, or just happens to trigger a bug in some hardware that breaks. That is just PoE happening to be whatever caused the problem, not because PoE is doing "something wrong".

If I had to guess, based on what you say the errors were, I'd guess you are probably going to be in the market for a replacement CPU in the near future - unless you have a two-socket motherboard, that interrupt delivery failure means something wrong inside the single socket between the CPUs on the same physical hardware, and same silicone.

That said, if you overclock, or undervolt, the processor, or otherwise overclock the system, backing that down a bit is a good plan. If not, you could try raising core voltage or underclocking in the hope that whatever component is failing in the hardware works for a while longer...

Generally, though, this sort of thing just gets worse over time.
It's not my CPU because it's been benchmarked without error.

And I'm not the only one with this. I've seen other people having insane lag and framerate issues, and another post displaying the same artifacts as I do. Like these crazy long lines that render all over the screen causing various visual bugs like objects not being rendered and also not doing damage (spectral throw). This cannot be due to a faulty CPU, it's the game goofing up. But somehow I get a really short end of the stick and my computer decides to go to critial failure.
Last edited by HAJIMEdj on Jan 19, 2018, 4:26:13 PM
"
HAJIMEdj wrote:

If your argument is that it doesn't fail at everything so it can't fail at anything then you're guilty of a gross oversimplification. Benchmarking software will be designed to apply specific workloads and test how well the hardware performs the tasks it was given. This does not mean that they will thoroughly test hardware for stability - for example, a GPU benchmark might be designed to test whether an overclock is stable and faulty VRAM could go undetected.

How many different benchmarks have you used? Which benchmarks did you use? For how long were they permitted to run? Did you just run one, wait for a score, then decide you were finished?

"
HAJIMEdj wrote:
I've seen other people having insane lag and framerate issues

I'm sorry, but how is any of this relevant?

Yes, Path of Exile isn't particularly well optimised but that won't cause a BSoD. It's a bit desperate to grab random complaints people have about the game and throw them at the wall in the hope that something will stick. How many other people have the same BSoD you do?

Your CPU (not created by GGG) threw an error which resulted in Windows (also not created by GGG) presenting a Blue Screen of Death. If it was a software issue then the error would've reflected that, e.g. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (0x0000000A) for a driver issue.

"
HAJIMEdj wrote:
This cannot be due to a faulty CPU, it's the game goofing up. But somehow I get a really short end of the stick and my computer decides to go to critial failure.

I need to ask you a question: Are you here for help establishing what is causing the Blue Screen of Death, or are you here because your preconceived notion is that it's GGG's fault and you want help blaming them? Because if you're not here to have an honest conversation and a process of elimination then there's no real point in anyone bothering to respond.

Thus far the most conclusive thing is a Windows Blue Screen of Death citing that your CPU detected a probable hardware issue, and the logical course of action is to assume that is true and pursue a process of elimination until either a problem is found or we run out of tests.

You haven't given me the impression that this is your plan.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
Sarno wrote:
"
HAJIMEdj wrote:

If your argument is that it doesn't fail at everything so it can't fail at anything then you're guilty of a gross oversimplification. Benchmarking software will be designed to apply specific workloads and test how well the hardware performs the tasks it was given. This does not mean that they will thoroughly test hardware for stability - for example, a GPU benchmark might be designed to test whether an overclock is stable and faulty VRAM could go undetected.

How many different benchmarks have you used? Which benchmarks did you use? For how long were they permitted to run? Did you just run one, wait for a score, then decide you were finished?

"
HAJIMEdj wrote:
I've seen other people having insane lag and framerate issues

I'm sorry, but how is any of this relevant?

Yes, Path of Exile isn't particularly well optimised but that won't cause a BSoD. It's a bit desperate to grab random complaints people have about the game and throw them at the wall in the hope that something will stick. How many other people have the same BSoD you do?

Your CPU (not created by GGG) threw an error which resulted in Windows (also not created by GGG) presenting a Blue Screen of Death. If it was a software issue then the error would've reflected that, e.g. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (0x0000000A) for a driver issue.

"
HAJIMEdj wrote:
This cannot be due to a faulty CPU, it's the game goofing up. But somehow I get a really short end of the stick and my computer decides to go to critial failure.

I need to ask you a question: Are you here for help establishing what is causing the Blue Screen of Death, or are you here because your preconceived notion is that it's GGG's fault and you want help blaming them? Because if you're not here to have an honest conversation and a process of elimination then there's no real point in anyone bothering to respond.

Thus far the most conclusive thing is a Windows Blue Screen of Death citing that your CPU detected a probable hardware issue, and the logical course of action is to assume that is true and pursue a process of elimination until either a problem is found or we run out of tests.

You haven't given me the impression that this is your plan.

I haven't done the stress tests myself, I've turned my computer in at the computer store so it was out of my hands. They've had it for a week or two, so I assume their testing was quite extensive.

I also want to point out that the blue screen I have (not the machine error, that one hasn't popped up anymore), is a very general error and it could be literally anything, going from hardware to software. Considering that the hardware has been extensively tested and all my drivers have been updated, the only culprit that's left is PoE itself. Especially considering that the problem ONLY manifests when playing PoE.

And, mind you, the problem starts with lag. Something everyone has been complaining about a lot here. The lag surmounts in such a way that the game and audio hangs until it reaches a critical point. And it's not only when there's a lot of action going on either, it's at "quiet time" as well, e.g. when I'm in town. So if this is a CPU error, which does a lot of calculating, then I wonder what there is in town that requires such a vast amount of calculation.
It's a really simple thing, Blue screens are hardware/driver related, PoE CAN NOT blue screen your PC, it can only try to use stuff that should be working on your PC but isn't at which point your PC says nope and shuts down
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
So after a few more crashes and errors I've looked in the event log of Windows and on my latest crash it said that there was an internal timer error in the processor, so apparently it is the CPU after all. Also, when I run a monitoring test in OOCT it shows that one of the cores reaches temperatures over 85° Celcius, which is not normal.

So I'll be looking at getting some new hardware. It's really weird though because when I turned in the shop their tests apparently didn't show anything. Which is why I didn't suspect any hardware issues in the first place.

Anyway this case is closed, and I hope I can go back to playing PoE again once I got my new parts installed :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info