[3.1]Shaper Down on budget 4-link –That Poet's Pen(“instant leech”_Glacial Cascade & Firestorm 2in1)

I've got something similar to this going on. I'm on Templar-Inquisitor Unearth+VD, but I use the same defensive mechanics.

First of all, I use Vitality+Discipline Life/ES on hit as a Hybrid life+ES toon for more eHP and TONS of effective life on hit. With roughly 9-10k eHP (depending on helmet being used)I generally don't fear oneshots and the recovery from both ES and Life is insane. Also, I use a low level CWDT+Curse on Hit+Enfeeble+Ball Lightning+Cremation(or Firestorm) for extra defensive layer. I can stand in almost any pack of mobs and tank because of this alone.

My gear is definitely not budget, but hopefully can give you an idea of what I do.
Gear

Note: Spirit Offering in my chest is actually a low level Ball Lightning. I was testing something on a necro and forgot to switch back.

I use Lightpoacher for mapping b/c it's lightpoacher. Helps with clear speed/smooth play.

I love the Pens. I have leveled 2 toons with them so far (90+92) And done all end game content other than Shaper (Shaper hax my PC and causes everything to freeze and then I am dead bc I can't do anything). Notably, I got through his first phase despite how impossible it was to play.

Anyways, sweet build. Hopefully my take on the Life on Hit mechanics is helpful to someone.
TL:DR
Go hybrid Life/ES (Aim for 6k Life and 2k ES) with Vit+Disc Life+ES on hit Watcher's Eye (~4-5ex when I bought mine). Gives excellent 1-shot defense and recovery. Enjoy!
"
Gryphenprey wrote:
I've got something similar to this going on. I'm on Templar-Inquisitor Unearth+VD, but I use the same defensive mechanics.

First of all, I use Vitality+Discipline Life/ES on hit as a Hybrid life+ES toon for more eHP and TONS of effective life on hit. With roughly 9-10k eHP (depending on helmet being used)I generally don't fear oneshots and the recovery from both ES and Life is insane. Also, I use a low level CWDT+Curse on Hit+Enfeeble+Ball Lightning+Cremation(or Firestorm) for extra defensive layer. I can stand in almost any pack of mobs and tank because of this alone.

My gear is definitely not budget, but hopefully can give you an idea of what I do.
Gear

Note: Spirit Offering in my chest is actually a low level Ball Lightning. I was testing something on a necro and forgot to switch back.

I use Lightpoacher for mapping b/c it's lightpoacher. Helps with clear speed/smooth play.

I love the Pens. I have leveled 2 toons with them so far (90+92) And done all end game content other than Shaper (Shaper hax my PC and causes everything to freeze and then I am dead bc I can't do anything). Notably, I got through his first phase despite how impossible it was to play.

Anyways, sweet build. Hopefully my take on the Life on Hit mechanics is helpful to someone.
TL:DR
Go hybrid Life/ES (Aim for 6k Life and 2k ES) with Vit+Disc Life+ES on hit Watcher's Eye (~4-5ex when I bought mine). Gives excellent 1-shot defense and recovery. Enjoy!

Nice Watcher's Eye ! :)

At one point I wanted to test it but back then it was 20ex... It requires to activate both vitality and discipline though, which loses quite some damage. But yeah defensively it's a beast. :)
Updated with Gear explanation.
Updated with Gear/Link explanation.
Would you be willing to post a leveling guide? Just for noobies like me who want to learn how to level efficiently using Poet's Pen.

Thanks!
Check out www.RavenousEternalHunger.com for PoE inspired metal!
Thnx for the guide, want to try this build. Hope you post a lvling guide :)
And how the build will perform without Watcher's Eye, cause of the prices (cheapest one is 3ex atm)?
So 1ex for 2 pens and 3ex for the jewel, as well as additional costs for other things sounds not so budget at all, especially for super casual like me.
Last edited by Pappas on Jan 19, 2018, 10:30:36 AM
"
Would you be willing to post a leveling guide? Just for noobies like me who want to learn how to level efficiently using Poet's Pen.

Thanks!

Hi. Will update later. For short, you can go to Templar area and grab some damage and life node (but don't go for Templar's starting branch nodes yet). Then rush to Assasin's starting area. Pick life nodes on the way when you need it.

Take the first Ascendancy as Assasin, then Inquisitor. After Uber Lab take the "starting from Assasin area".

For skills you can go wild. Spark, GC, Detonate Dead. Use any skill you see fit.
Hi, had some spare pens lying around so I gave this build a spin, really fun so far but just had a few questions:

How big of a boost are the two jewels? Just hesitating to invest a lot of ex if I can make due without (have some crit multi/life/res gems instead) and so far on t8-10 (still leveling gems) haven't had any struggles with life - 6.4k life max res @90

Also was wondering what tweaks are possible with utility/movement skills. Using faster frenzy blind power/crit and a 4L with CWDT Herald ice bite firestorm for now. Might try faster casting flame dash if I can fit it.

Think voidwalkers could be fun too if I can manage
"
Pappas wrote:
Thnx for the guide, want to try this build. Hope you post a lvling guide :)
And how the build will perform without Watcher's Eye, cause of the prices (cheapest one is 3ex atm)?
So 1ex for 2 pens and 3ex for the jewel, as well as additional costs for other things sounds not so budget at all, especially for super casual like me.

What?... Upon the rease of this guide the Eye cost like 1Ex... Can be due to the price fluctuation. You can try to buy it at another time. (Time zone affects the price.)

OP started running the build with the Eye only, with the LGOH was like ~24 in total and did just fine. You can use two Shaper rings and achieve as much, if not more. You lose full-buffed damage without using Malachai ring. But the damage should be still enough to take down end game contents.
Last edited by loonger on Jan 19, 2018, 10:15:03 PM
"
Cøpe wrote:
Hi, had some spare pens lying around so I gave this build a spin, really fun so far but just had a few questions:

How big of a boost are the two jewels? Just hesitating to invest a lot of ex if I can make due without (have some crit multi/life/res gems instead) and so far on t8-10 (still leveling gems) haven't had any struggles with life - 6.4k life max res @90

Also was wondering what tweaks are possible with utility/movement skills. Using faster frenzy blind power/crit and a 4L with CWDT Herald ice bite firestorm for now. Might try faster casting flame dash if I can fit it.

Think voidwalkers could be fun too if I can manage

Hi! Grad you find some fun in the build! :)

The Hinder on jew is very sweat for melee bosses like Phoenix. For general mapping you probably don't feel much difference because you already overkill everything :). Have no idea how difficult to craft them. Bought both jews for several chaos. I don't remember if I found any jew with the affix dropped wild. Maybe you can buy some cheap rolls to test the affix first before slamming ex. :)

The stats of your character is very good so I image you are an experienced player. :) Feel free to tweak the links you see fit. The cwdt-firestorm-ball lightening setup is HIGHLY recommended though. You can fit faster casting to flame dash. The Decoy totem is rarely used so you may drop it. You can carry the unique Silver Flask (forgot the name... The one gives onslaught.) which gives tons of movement speed. If you use the flask, try to get a belt with reduce flask consumption so you can drink it twice (huge QoL improvement).
Last edited by loonger on Jan 19, 2018, 8:51:08 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info