An overview of Abyss league.

"
Thraellic wrote:
"
Grauthrim wrote:
Right now the game is in a state I deem completely broken. You should never become this frustrated with something you love and value. This isn't worth it. You're losing me and probably many thousands of other players attention and slowly I'm about to turn to other things.

Not sure about losing thousands; I thought that would happen but retention on Steamcharts seems quite solid, in fact seems better than last league and the league before. People like an RNG grind it seems. Hey, good for them and GGG.

The above is a true statement for myself however. I still feel like playing PoE, I love the core game, but decided to check out of the league early to preserve what little enthusiasm remains. The endless RNG in every single game system, including advancing in the game's geographical space itself (MAPS!) is killing me. And the new map systems just pour more RNG on the RNG. And the new League mechanic is RNG upon RNG.

I want to put energy into a meaningful journey toward a meaningful goal which can meaningfully be attained over a two month or so period while trading with other players for THINGS. Not for the game itself (MAPS!)

"
Grauthrim wrote:
I hope dearly GGG continues to take steps towards making a fairer and more balanced game.

Here's hoping.

I think retention of players remains high because there is a constant influx of new players, I find it incredibly doubtful poe would ever release lists of older players leaving or players who've played longer than a few months and exactly how you have stated "check out of the league early" because of inability to remain interested due to the available content.

I think right now poe is becoming more streamlined but still fails to produce new and entertaining end game content. I remember the maelstrom from back in the older days of poe and its essentially the same existing system now just with a few extra bosses... I really feel poe should look toward games like Grim Dawn for inspiration as they are producing end-game content which is both entertaining and fair.

and yeah I agree, I want a meaningful journey toward a meaningful goal, with a conclusion.... perhaps some kind of global meter that everyone can see which grows over the league e.g. everytime someone beats the elders guardians it adds to a percent bar which grows over the league and unlocks different boss fights are the bar progresses, eventually leading to fighting the elder himself at the end of the unlock cycle, over this period the loot and unique drops change constantly, ALWAYS giving new stuff to the economy and changing the feel of the entire league constantly too.
"
Grauthrim wrote:

I think retention of players remains high because there is a constant influx of new players, I find it incredibly doubtful poe would ever release lists of older players leaving or players who've played longer than a few months and exactly how you have stated "check out of the league early" because of inability to remain interested due to the available content.

I think right now poe is becoming more streamlined but still fails to produce new and entertaining end game content. I remember the maelstrom from back in the older days of poe and its essentially the same existing system now just with a few extra bosses... I really feel poe should look toward games like Grim Dawn for inspiration as they are producing end-game content which is both entertaining and fair.

and yeah I agree, I want a meaningful journey toward a meaningful goal, with a conclusion.... perhaps some kind of global meter that everyone can see which grows over the league e.g. everytime someone beats the elders guardians it adds to a percent bar which grows over the league and unlocks different boss fights are the bar progresses, eventually leading to fighting the elder himself at the end of the unlock cycle, over this period the loot and unique drops change constantly, ALWAYS giving new stuff to the economy and changing the feel of the entire league constantly too.

You want PoE to be a game it's not. Like I think Grim Dawn is to slow, and it's boring because of that. Everyone thinks differently in what they like and how they like it. Saying Poe hasn't produced new and entertaining content is just silly though, especially with that shiny new supporter pack next to your name. Seems to me they retained your money.
"
Miská wrote:
"
Grauthrim wrote:

You want PoE to be a game it's not. Like I think Grim Dawn is to slow, and it's boring because of that. Everyone thinks differently in what they like and how they like it. Saying Poe hasn't produced new and entertaining content is just silly though, especially with that shiny new supporter pack next to your name. Seems to me they retained your money.

I agree, I too think Grim Dawn is slow, which is exactly why I play PoE and yes you're also correct, I chose to support the game because I've played it for a very long time and have never bought a supporter pack. This league to chose to support the game. How this identifies with any of my argument i'm unsure though, I'm simply stating what I feel about the game, in the feedback and suggestions section, you don't have to agree with any of it.
I never understood those higher goals people supposedly want this game to have. Is there anything more than improving your build, getting stronger and beating harder content? No, and there really shouldn't be because the game is not single player.
I agree to everything, but the most to Point 14, thats one of my favorite. I started 3 weeks ago, i have to force myself to play with someone, because i see no point doing it. As example we run maps as 5ppl and there is no benefit from. I loose more Maps + Currency than i get from that.

I run 20 - 40 Map's a day and its bullshit. The only thing i can make money with is the 6socket Items which i sell for 1C.
"
Miská wrote:

Yes, maybe Grim Dawn is too slow in some aspects, but PoE is far too fast. That's why PoE should learn a bit from games like Grim Dawn, to solve its problems. It doesnt mean that PoE should be exactly like Grim Dawn or othar ARPGs.

Also, despite PoE is fast, it's also very laggy, your FPS can drop to single-number digits even on modern PC, while Grim Dawn has no FPS issues even on older PCs. When game focuses on being FAST, and at the same time, has FPS issues, it's a HUGE problem - any small lagg means you'll be fucked in the "fast" game.

Yet another problem of PoE is accessibility of endgame content. I had a lot of fun in Harbinger league, where i could chain T16 maps without massive currency losses, or farm shaper if i wanted to.
In Abyss, i can do it no longer. Map droprates are abyssmally LOW (and that fact is reflected in their prices on market). The only way to chain high-level maps or shaper is to waste huge amounts of currency. So i have to chain T10-11 maps again and again, even despite that pose absolutely 0 challenge, and everything there including bosses gets brainlessly oneshotted on screen with just 1 click. Sorry, but i just dont understand - WHY hard endgame content should be "gated" behind RNG/wasting currency? Why dont just allow players to run it? If it isnt hard enough, and too many players can farm it - then just make it HARDER, so less players will be able to run it. I really dont understand GGG's logic in that aspect.

It's this perverted logic, that GGG uses for PoE, causes all the problems that PoE has. RNG-gated content, too fast gameplay, horrible FPS, no instant buyouts, braindead approach to balancing, and so on. Sure, PoE still has a huge potential, if at least some of the named problems will be fixed (as it was done with itemfilters and desync). If not, i suppose PoE will die or degrade into the game for bots and brainless idiots.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Jan 20, 2018, 8:16:51 AM
Map drops are the last problem that should be addressed, lol. They are completely fine as long as you are vaaling them.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
I never understood those higher goals people supposedly want this game to have. Is there anything more than improving your build, getting stronger and beating harder content? No, and there really shouldn't be because the game is not single player.

You're totally right, I worded my previous post badly. The JOURNEY should feel meaningful. ARPGs are all about the journey like you said. So the thing that makes the journey feel meaningless to me now, 5 leagues in, is having to stop and buy maps. I've just really developed a hatred for it. I hate it! lol

Harby was good for me too, maybe it was a casual friendly league. I went over 36/40 for the first time, the game was so damn PLAYABLE.

"
Johny_Snow wrote:
Map drops are the last problem that should be addressed, lol. They are completely fine as long as you are vaaling them.

Maybe. Lotta people with trouble sustaining maps though. I dropped Fortune Favors The Brave on every T8+ map, for challenges, fun, droprate, etc. Didn't do shit. If I didn't buy about 20 maps I'd still be at 80 atlas completion. Did I mention how much I fucking hate that these days.

I feel like I have a nice character, two nice steel rings, two Oni's (weapon swop for bosses), a Kaom's... It's ok! I should be having fun with it. Just...nowhere to go man.

Oh regarding Grim Dawn, sorry OP but I found that game Boring. As. Fuck. PoE is the best thing out, for sure. GGG just drive me crazy with their design choices that are like "you're not allowed to play our game, noob." It seems I dunno... .disrespectful. I give them a fucktonne of my time and they give me RNG walls. I give them money too but I don't give a shit about that. My TIME feels precious, and preciously wasted.
Last edited by Thraellic on Jan 20, 2018, 9:08:54 AM
Vaal orb is cheaper than 4 chisels or whatever other zana map mod you want to slam. I am not sure why people are so reluctant to do it, their loss I guess. Meanwhile I am building up my second tab filled with red maps.
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
Miská wrote:

Yes, maybe Grim Dawn is too slow in some aspects, but PoE is far too fast. That's why PoE should learn a bit from games like Grim Dawn, to solve its problems. It doesnt mean that PoE should be exactly like Grim Dawn or othar ARPGs.

Also, despite PoE is fast, it's also very laggy, your FPS can drop to single-number digits even on modern PC, while Grim Dawn has no FPS issues even on older PCs. When game focuses on being FAST, and at the same time, has FPS issues, it's a HUGE problem - any small lagg means you'll be fucked in the "fast" game.

Yet another problem of PoE is accessibility of endgame content. I had a lot of fun in Harbinger league, where i could chain T16 maps without massive currency losses, or farm shaper if i wanted to.
In Abyss, i can do it no longer. Map droprates are abyssmally LOW (and that fact is reflected in their prices on market). The only way to chain high-level maps or shaper is to waste huge amounts of currency. So i have to chain T10-11 maps again and again, even despite that pose absolutely 0 challenge, and everything there including bosses gets brainlessly oneshotted on screen with just 1 click. Sorry, but i just dont understand - WHY hard endgame content should be "gated" behind RNG/wasting currency? Why dont just allow players to run it? If it isnt hard enough, and too many players can farm it - then just make it HARDER, so less players will be able to run it. I really dont understand GGG's logic in that aspect.

It's this perverted logic, that GGG uses for PoE, causes all the problems that PoE has. RNG-gated content, too fast gameplay, horrible FPS, no instant buyouts, braindead approach to balancing, and so on. Sure, PoE still has a huge potential, if at least some of the named problems will be fixed (as it was done with itemfilters and desync). If not, i suppose PoE will die or degrade into the game for bots and brainless idiots.

They did make it harder because to many people were running it. End game mapping in PoE is not supposed to be for alch and go people. If you invest enough (Wich is easily returned in drops) maps still drop like candy.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info