Designing the Fire and Ice Mystery Box

"
Creepovic wrote:
How about a re-roll system for unwanted mtx? You give up.. lets say 5 unwanted pieces for a random mtx out of the box loot table. That way people will buy more loot boxes even if they get multiple duplicates. Maybe guarantee a new item, though this point is debatable.

they could as well just remove any full price item from their shop. imho mystery boxes were intended to give those with moms pocket money a chance to get good mtx, not replacing the regular way of purchasing them.

there needs to be a backdraw for the lower price.
I'd like to see GGG remove loot boxes all together. You already have a cash shop that is quite successful. I hope to see these things regulated one day as even 'good guy GGG' can't seem to help themselves from taking these things to the Nth degree by adding pieces obtainable through multiple stacks of RNG rolls.

"
muzein wrote:
You already have a cash shop that is quite successful.

Really? Didn't realize they'd now given players access to their financials...

And before you say it - just cos the company has expanded doesn't mean they're healthy enough to be in a position to get rid of this revenue stream. For all we know, their expansion in recent years may be majorly due to said boxes.
"
cronus wrote:
what about a sheep mtx for our golems?

"
Bex_GGG wrote:
Mystery boxes have a huge impact on what development and growth is possible within the studio.

i'm not sure if this is good or bad news. does that mean that boxes are so rewarding, they outclass even "sales" of your mtx?

the ability to combine mtx to remove doubles may seem like a great solution to solve double mtx but did you ever think on the other side? somebody not gambling has to pay full price for 2 mtx to get such item.

i really try to be positive but you're making your fullprice mtx more and more unattractive. is this intended?

The thing with loot boxes in PoE is that they cost 30, while everything in the box even if you like it or not like decorations still cost much more than 30, so investing 300 into 10 boxes you will ALWAYS make much more than 900 in return of total value when buying these boxes. The more you go on the more duplicates you get ofc.

They are also addicting to get that one drop which you will never get because who am I kidding I'll just wait for the fire cloak and armor to get to the store at this point.

But the amount of value you get per box vs the actual cost of things inside the box is insane so its an insult not to buy 1-10 boxes if you like what's inside the box.
Now if only you made it so the more duplicates you added "fed" the effect from the small Armour to the really fiery / Icey ones.
"
SheephunterZ wrote:

But the amount of value you get per box vs the actual cost of things inside the box is insane so its an insult not to buy 1-10 boxes if you like what's inside the box.

i always get 5 of them and then i continue buying until i hit something i don't like. best price/value ever and it makes me reach my point of "enough mtx" faster.

boxes likely have most of their fans in countries with bad exchange rates to the us dollar.
Last edited by cronus on Jan 11, 2018, 10:31:31 AM

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
muzein wrote:
You already have a cash shop that is quite successful.

Really? Didn't realize they'd now given players access to their financials...

And before you say it - just cos the company has expanded doesn't mean they're healthy enough to be in a position to get rid of this revenue stream. For all we know, their expansion in recent years may be majorly due to said boxes.

If they NEED loot boxes to stay in business then I wouldn't be sad to see them go.

Loot boxes (while ethically questionable at best) are anti-consumer. If I want an MTX I should be able to purchase it directly. By placing it in a random lootbox, GGG is saying you can have it but only if you pay more.

And before your hot comeback is "loot box MTX becomes available in the shop after a time"; that does not dismiss the relative enticement of loot boxes. When the fire/ice mtx is 'retired' to the shop there will be another loot box to offer new items. At any given time the relative state of loot box exclusive offerings remains unchanged.

Increase the price of boxes and get rid of duplicates. Duplicates in these kind of boxes that you can't trade in for anything or receive currency for are devastating and make players not want to buy them at all.

For example, I purchased 12 boxes total. I received 4 Ice Tigers (3 of which I received back-to-back), 2 fire shields, several decorations, Ice Gloves, and Ice Horns. That, for $36? With no way to trade them back in? Really, what am I ever going to do with TWO shield skins of the same type!?

To make matters worse, the box is actually advertised as being statistically more valuable than buying armor sets outright, which is a total misdirection and lie. The odds of getting the armor set you want will likely exceed the cost of buying the armor set outright because of the variability within the box.

I get that you guys want to abuse peoples' addiction to gambling to fund your game, but this is the only game that has loot boxes that doesn't also employ a silver lining. In Overwatch, if players open a loot box and receive a duplicate, they receive a set amount of currency instead -- a percentage of the normal price. The same thing happens in Battlerite, and most any other game. In this game, however, players receive duplicates that sit there and collect dust and have no purpose whatsoever. This may not be so much the case with things like hideout decorations -- many of which people don't want anyway, but I digress -- because they at least can be used in large quantities...but two fire shields? Four ice tigers?

Either increase the price of boxes and get rid of duplicates or allow players the opportunity to sell back MTX items for currency. You can even put a tag on MTX items obtained from loot boxes to lower the amount they are sold for in comparison to regularly purchased MTX items so that people don't abuse this system for getting cheap MTX currency.
the fire storm h/o decoration is garbage. you can't even tell you have anything going on there. Legit get better decoration from the masters.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info