[Forum] Able to view posts in restricted sections via "Recent forum posts"

I was looking through recent posts by Mark_GGG for something, and as usual, got lost in reading about the game mechanics.

Then I noticed something: I was able to see Mark's posts in the FoO beta forum (starting roughly at page 9 of the list). I was not in the FoO beta, and following links to the forum posts themselves leads to a "You don't have permission to access this area" page. Nonetheless I am able to see Mark's (and I suspect anyone else's) posts there through their forum post history.

I imagine this shouldn't be happening - if there is some super secret dev-only forum, this could be used to peek into it.
Last bumped on Jan 14, 2018, 6:57:12 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
The Fall of Oriath Beta section of the forum required beta access to post in, but not to view. It was hidden to get rid of it but still have it available if GGG felt the need to look at it for some reason in the future. You see the same thing with shop threads from expired challenge leagues. It’s a form of soft-deletion, so maybe a bug but not one which would leak sensitive information. :)

Posts in restricted forum sections will only be shown in post history to those with access to that section of the forum. That’s a different system than the soft-deletion one.

Edit: I realized only after posting that I didn’t explain it well. Hopefully this version is clearer.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Last edited by Sarno on Jan 10, 2018, 1:39:06 AM
I see, so it's not (really) a security issue.

It is still a small inconsistency, since one method of viewing a post tells me I can't, but another openly gives it to me.

Maybe direct links to forum threads in hidden sections (like the former link above) should still display the thread to users who were supposed to have access to the forum back when it was public.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Jan 10, 2018, 1:37:47 AM
Oh, I agree it’s a bug. Or at the very least a lack of polish.

Sorry that I didn’t make that clear. I’ve tried to fix my first post.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Oh yeah, I understood what you meant. Thanks for the clarification nonetheless :-)
Interesting, we'll get this fixed up.
Web DeveloperView our Developer Docs
Is that a bad thing though? There are dev posts in those forums that can still be of interest. You hide the forums to make it easier to navigate, not necessarily because the information is invalid.

One example of why you should keep at least some of the hidden forums posts viewable: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2072256#p15201942
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Last edited by mark1030 on Jan 14, 2018, 7:08:42 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info