[3.4] Dual Grelwood Shank Molten Strike Juggernaut U.Elder down

This is my first guide ever and my main language is not English, sorry if anything amiss.

Putting those aside, welcome to my Dual Grelwood Shank Molten Strike Juggernaut Guide!

This guide started from 3.1. The real only significant change(buff) is Juggernaut Ascendency.
Passive tree also have changes that buff this build.

3.4 Change

Increased attack Range and Targeting Area on Molten Strike may screw Ancestral Call Molten Strike Ancestral Call Single Target strategy but help a lot if you willing to switch AC out to other support gem during boss fight. It's now easier to screw up AC single target if you are using Multi-Strike.

Passive tree update and its a buff for us. Templar area looks more juicy then ever.

Possible to spec into instant warcry on passive tree, so that you can still use Enduring Cry (or any other warcry) while Molten Striking.

CWDT + Orb of Storm is huge. Now we can easily sustain Elemental Overload.

Herald of Purity is much better than Herald of Ash. Herald of Ash may outdamage Herald of Purity but the utility of Herald of Purity is endless. You can socket blind support (if you are not using Unwavering Stance, so you can actually evade and utilise blind) and culling strike (reserved mana from 25% to 28%, no big deal if you are only using 2 auras) to it for its summoned minion to apply them. The minions can also act as a meatshield and distraction.

3.2 Change

Oh boy, no nerf to Molten Strike and Grelwood's Shank while Juggernaut have been significantly buffed in tankiness. The build is even more better!

Although there is 1 important change :
For this build, Abyss Jewel is better than normal Jewel. Since they do not drop as plenty as before, you can craft your own abyss jewel unless you are lucky to get some very good deal on abyss jewels shopping :D

Also Juggernaut new Unflinching works so well with CWDT Immortal Call setup. With 5 or more Endurance Charges, you have more than 3 seconds of physical invulnerability while Immortal Call has 3 second cooldown. During these period, you gain 3 endurance charge over 3 second, which for each endurance charge have 25% to gain up to max endurance charge for next IC trigger. So as long you can tank the initial hit, you are almost immortal to physical damage.

You can also self-cast immortal call for longer duration and trigger the buff anytime you want, but need to always keep in mind about immortal call duration while mapping.

Introduction
3.1 has been a great update for PoE. Especially with the addition of Ancestral Call support that make single-target attack such as Molten Strike much more fun to use.
A newly added Unique weapon enticed me and make me create a new character instantly to build around it.

Why I Love Grelwood Shanks

1. 2 Additional Projectile on Enemy Hits ( 4 if dual wield )
2. 80% increased Armour while standing still ( 160% if dual wield )
3. It is an unique from a great weapon base, Eternal Sword ( 1.5 Aps, 475 accuracy rating implicit , can use Whirling Blades )
4. Free Point Blank (Save us some passive points)
5. Free Iron Reflex while standing

Required Uniques (Also Weapon)

2x

Build enabling Unique. Neat

You can always go for 1 more expensive Rare 1-hand sword to get more damage ( just be sure the highest APS be the main hand weapon to get the fastest travel speed), or shield to get more survivability. Dual grelwood shank is already sufficient enough to get to end game.

2x

Decent Molten Strike damage and coverage boost. A must have.

(Alternative main-hand weapon/ Off Hand Grelwood Shank)

With this build having 7 Endurance Charges (Can get more endurance charges from item), this weapon is a good choice. Focus on getting Nebuloch with 40% physical added as fire damage.
On full endurance charges, when compared to Dual Grelwood Shank, this weapon gives :
1) 30% more tooltip dps boost ,
2) more Armour (about 10k more),
3) 7%+ reduced elemental damage taken on hit,
4) 28% chaos resist+.

Negative Side:
1)You take 1400+ Fire Damage per second on enemy hit (Can be reduced by your fire resist, taking 350+ fire dps on 75% fire resist) for 4 seconds.
2)2 less situational projectiles on enemy hit
3)Less overall attack speed, so slower zip-zap with whirling blade :/
4)Cannot utilise Soul of Araakaali increased recovery since you always taking damage over time

Why Main Hand Nebuloch?
A : We will be taking Ambidexterity under Duelist passive tree area, which give 20% attack speed to off-hand. Since you can only whirling blade with sword and dagger, we always use off-hand to WB so we travel faster. Although we will suffer a bit on leap slam. If you are using leap slam as main movement skill instead, switch Grelwood Shank to main-hand.

Optional but nice fit (and change) to the build:
(I Love Thief Torment)

More reason later in other part of equipment section.

Other Part of Equipment

If you don't have enough Dexterity (and you will) or Intelligence (more likely to meet requirement), you might want to get Dexterity or Intelligence from Uniques or Rare equipment.

You can always get Strength from Rare equipment to get more HP/Damage :D.

Helmet

Rare
Focus on these stats
-HP
-Resists
-Accuracy

If you have decent resists
Unique

Fill our missing dexterity, HP and attack speed. High evasion rating to be converted to Armour. More crit chance to proc Elemental Overload.

New upcoming helmet in Delve League ( Not available in Standard League yet )
Spoiler

Get red socket to get bonus added fire damage similar to a lvl 15 Anger gem. Nearby -10% resist is nice as long the enemy don't have overcapped resist. 1 socket is a pain though.

Body Armour

Rare
Focus on these stats
-HP
-Resists
-Armour

Recommended if you can get 5-link version
Unique

Brass Dome not only provides a huge armour boost, it also make us receive no extra damage from critical strike, thus no sudden spike of damage from BOTH spell and hits.

Update from 3.2 : For mapping, the new Unflinching + CWDT combo is sufficient to significantly reduce much of the physical damage you face in map. Unless you want immmunity to critical damage, Brass Dome is not quite the top choice now :/

For much QoL and you have the currency,
Maybe impossible to get in Incursion league
Get the Crab Armour,
Craiceann's Carapace
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Craiceann%27s_Carapace
Besides huge Life and Armour with some resistances, it also has Immunity to Bleed! ( Hurrah for Lab and screw you Corrupted Blood )
Aspect of the Crab is optional but usually ignored, we have sufficient T H I C C to go for pure damage aura and buff.

NEAT, another great Armour of Choice discovered :O

Some Life, Elemental Damage, All Attributes and Global Crit Chance for Elemental Overload ! The best of the best is locked Max Resist so unaffected by - Max Resist Map Mod! (Which is deadly to us)
You can vendor 60 unique rings to get this Armour, but I sure even random unique rings gonna cost minimum 1 chaos orb now. (Maybe lower in the future)
To compensate for the low Armour, you can choose to go for CWDT + Immortal Call + Increased Duration Support to mitigate sustained heavy physical damage from enemy.

Gloves

Rare
Focus on these stats
-HP
-Resists
-Attack Speed
-Added physical damage
-Projectile Damage Implicit

If you have decent resists
Unique
Tombfist

Permanent Intimidation and sweet abyss jewel socket :D

Boots

Unique

Immune to Stun+Immune to Temporal Chain+Immune to freeze and chill+Huge life
All in one boot.

Since we have dual wield bonus along with Undeniable attack speed bonus, we just use Whirling Blades/ Leap Slam as our method of travel instead of walking.

If you have Unstoppable, you can skip Kaom's Root and go for Life + Resist. Movement speed is very optional but good to have for Haku mission.

120% critical chance increase if not crit recently boot enchant is BiS enchant for this build.

Rings

Rare
Focus on these stats
-HP
-Resists
-Attack Speed
-Life gain on Hit (Elder mod)
-Added Physical damage
-Added Fire Damage
-Weapon Elemental Damage

Or just completely change your way on sustaining in fight
Unique
(I Freaking Love This Ring With Molten Strike)

Wait! No Life, average elemental resists and zero offensive stat on both 2 Ring Slots! What madness is this!?
Some Item Quantity, Fantastic Life and Mana Gain on Hit (4 extra projectile from Dual grelwood shank say Hi), curse effect reduction. 5 (or 4) passive points since you can now respec off leech.
Also can do these map mods more effectively too !
No Leech Map Mod
60% Less Recovery Map Mod

Alternatively, you can go for double
X Life gained on hit
on Elder Rare Ring to gain similar effect of Thief Torment, while able to get more life, resist and damage from rare ring.

Amulets

Rare
Focus on these stats (You might want to go Offensive with Amulet because if you gonna change to Xoph's Blood, you won't worry about other Rares)
-Life
-Physical added as Fire (Elder Mod)
-Added Physical Damage
-Added Fire Damage
-Weapon Elemental Damage
-1% increased damage per 15 strength (Elder Mod)

Unique

League starter amulet. Cheap and great for early uber labyrinth lab running.

Life, Added Fire Damage, Life Regen and Free Flammability Blasphemy Curse at the cost of your 2 gem socket.

Recommended if you can finally afford this (Or as a lucky drop by doing Xoph Breachstone which can be cleared easily with this build)

More than 30% damage boost in an amulet.
Free AoF (save us 1-3 passive points depend on tree), fire penetration.
Enemy who hit us is covered in ashes and triggers our Grelwood Shank bonus effect, nice!

Belt

Rare
I recommend Stygian's Vise. Stygian Vise is undeniably better than other bases as long you can get a good Abyss Jewel.
-Life
-Resists
-Weapon Elemental Damage
-Armour

If you can get god-tier Abyss Jewels
Unique

Socket those God-Tier Abyss Jewels in for Damage/HP !

Flask

Rare
Get Bleed Immunity and Shock Immunity. Curse Immunity is Optional.
Get Life Flask with increased Recovery or instant recovery.
Recommended utility flask bases are Silver, Sulphur, Granite or Basalt.
Example:

Unique

If you want to further boost your damage with flasks. These 2 unique flasks are recommended.
For Wise Oak, get your uncapped fire resist to highest of all 3 elemental resists to get fire penetration.

Jewels

Rare
With decent attack speed, abyss jewels with raw damage is better than normal Jewels with %damage, with 4 Abyss Jewels my damage is boosted by 30%.(It's nut)
After 3.2, you may need to craft your own abyss jewels since they are more scarce.

Abyss Jewel
-HP
-Fire Damage (Base or Sword)
-Physical Damage (Base or Sword)
(50% recommended)-Other elemental damage (Converted by AoF with 50% value)
-Attack Speed when Crit

Jewel
-Max HP%
-Fire Damage %
-Attack Speed %
-Area Damage %
-Damage %

Unique
Wildfire, already mentioned in above.

Watcher's Eye Jewel (Optional)
Get the Anger Version (Fire Penetration, Added %Physical Damage as Fire Damage, Fire Leech).

Equipment Combo

Only use these equipment if you have both of them.
A lvl 20 Concentrated Effect + Lvl 20 Immolate Elder Helmet

or add "socketed gem have 30% more elemental damage for a 6.5 link

with

Less gem sockets. Trade other body armour unique attributes (Max resist lock for Loreweave, Immune to Crit for Brass Dome) for more HP.

Why Juggernaut

Undeniable
+1000 Accuracy, 1% increased Attack Speed per 200 Accuracy Rating. 30% increase damage/ accuracy rating if you have crit in the last 8 seconds. 1 Strength = 1 Accuracy

With 475 base accuracy implicit from Grelwood Shank, combined with Undeniable Ascendency Node from Juggernaut, you can easy achieve 90%+ Chance to Hit easily with only passive points on tree. You can then utilize Elemental Overload for more damage.
The bonus added attack speed is nice (Even essential if you want smoother gameplay).

The tankiness also make farming high tier maps much less nerve-wrecking.

Unstoppable is optional but huge QoL for mindless mapping if you don't want to use Kaom's Root.

3.2 :
Lvl 1 CWDT + Lvl 20 Increased Duration + Lvl 3 Immortal Call + Unflinching (Ascendency) with minimum 5 Endurance Charges. Welcome to physical mitigation addiction with no armour/flask investment and growing hatred for elemental/chaos damage. This combo maybe unoptimal for Unyielding though.

Pros/Cons

Pro:
+ Being a Tank (7 Endurance Charges or 5+ Endurance Charges with CWDT + Immortal Cry + Unflinching)
+ Being a FAST Tank (Attack Speed from Undeniable really shine here, zip-zap everywhere)
+ Cheap to start (Grelwood Shank is cheap but well-rolled one is more expensive since it gains more popularity, any 5-link Armour or Tabula Rasa is enough for decent mapping experience. More expensive at start of league since it only drop from Elder Guardian)
+ Can do Uber Lab full key run reliably while decent geared
+ No weapon swap (Unless you want much faster Leap Slam with Brightbeak + 3 G Prismatic Eclipse), no gem swap

Cons
- Caution : Molten Balls may affect your FPS and drown your GPU.
- Grelwood Shank require you to face-tank hits to dish out more damage
- Can't do Reflect (With thief torment on + 4-Link Molten strike + Yugul Pantheon, you can do reflect map somewhat but still dangerous. Go for Elementalist/ Raider Scion if you want reflect immune version and say screw you Atziri Mirror Clone)
- Can't do No leech Maps (If you are using Thief Torment, ignore this)
- If you looking for high-end DPS destruction or sonic-speed screen clear build, this build is not for you
- Not block/dodge/evasion focused, any dangerous 1-shot (especially elemental damage) will still possibly 1-shot you if you don't dodge.
- 6k-ish HP with no block/dodge/evasion mechanic. Still need to beware "extra damage as elemental" map mod and "- % maximum resistance" map.

Passive Tree

Templar area is significantly changed while our build benefit from it. Since Delve League possibly has huge chaos damage source, I am taking chaos resist life wheel just to be safe.

My proposed passive tree for 3.4 Delve League

At start of league, both Grelwood Shank and Thief Torment/Life Gain on Hit Ring can be quite expensive, so here my alternative :
Lvl 85 League Start Life Leech + Non-Grelwood Shank version :

Lvl 85 Thief Torment / Life Gain on Hit Elder Ring + 7 Endurance Charge version :

Lvl 85 Thief Torment / Life Gain On Hit Elder Ring + 4 Endurance Charge + Instant Warcry + A tons more jewel sockets :

Lvl 85 Thief Torment / Life Gain On Hit Elder Ring + 4 Endurance Charge + Bunch more Jewel Sockets without Chaos Resist Wheel (Potentially save more passives point when you have Xoph's Blood)

Lvl 85 Thief Torment / Life Gain On Hit Elder Ring + 7 Endurance Charge + Nebuloch Main Hand / Grelwood Shank Off-Hand :

If you wanna go for Life Leech version and use other rings, you need to spec out 6 passive point (take your pick) to get life/mana leech.

Pre-3.4 skill tree compilation
Revised version for more HP% on tree(For Thief Torment)

haGrOck Skill Tree recommendation

Thank haGrOck for enlighten me on this build route. Has more damage.
His Post:
"
Completed 7 ChallengeshaGrOck wrote:
Have you ever tried this route on tree?

poeurl.com/bM5I

Looks slightly better to me, with 1 more jewel socket. ;-)

And alternatively for only 2 more Points a Little bit increased dmg and better attack Speed this one:
poeurl.com/bM6v

Or moving two points to get access to the little sword cluster: poeurl.com/bM7q

Also possible with 4 more points for more armour, movement, res & reg: poeurl.com/bM69

And this would be the leveling route for the first 65 points spent in the new league due to having bad gear with bad res early on: poeurl.com/bM7m

Onwards is old passive tree recommendation from 3.1, nothing is changed.
Newer or haGrOck version has more efficient usage of passive points but require higher lvl to spec into keynode such as Avatar of Fire or Elemental Overload. If you want quicker access to key node, use below passive tree recommendation instead.

If you are using Thief Torment, you can unspec Life Leech and Mana Leech and go for more HP and damage.

If you have Xoph's Blood, you can use those unspec Avatar of Fire (3 passive points) for HP and damage.

Act 2 - Bandit Choice

Either Oak or kill all.

The 2 passive point usually end up as 2*5% maximum hp node = 10% maximum health, but is very useful if you want to reach Avatar of Fire and Elemental Overload early.

2% physical reduction + 1% hp regeneration on Oak is very useful in labyrinth while the 20% global physical is a bonus.

In the end, it's either more max health ( I usually take more max health because most of my death are from elemental damage/chaos damage )
or
more QoL. ( Physical reduction work against trap and more hp regen for labyrinth run)

Ascendency

https://i.redd.it/peybjbosdti01.jpg

Significant change to Juggernaut Ascendency.
Now with more added tankiness!
For Kaom's Root :
1 / 2 : Unflinching or Unbreakable
3 : Undeniable (Latest being Merciless Lab before you proceed to mapping)
4 : Unrelenting

For Other Boots :
1 / 2 : Unflinching / Undeniable
3 : Unstoppable
4 : Unbreakable

Unflinching is much more better now because beside the old + 1 Endurance Charges and 30% chance to gain Endurance Charges on Enemy hit. You gain 1 Endurance Charge every second for 4 seconds if you taken damage recently and 25% chance to gain up to max Endurance Charge.
Thus, before proceed to boss fight, just use

and you should have max Endurance charge before even starting the fight!

Unbreakable 2% HP Regeneration and 5% Reduce damage taken is huge QoL for Labyrinth. 1.5% prevented damage gained as HP regen for 10 seconds may be Minor but maybe more insane than I though.

Undeniable much buff. Very crit recently. WOW ! Also Strength = Accuracy helps a lot in boosting accuracy for more attack speed !

Unrelenting can be taken last as you can only access to more Endurance Charges Node at higher lvl to get more out of it. Decent tankiness against map mobs ! ( While magic/rare map mobs getting buffed to oblivion as damage increase is now multiplicative)

Ascendency :
Unflinching -> Unrelenting -> Undeniable -> Unyielding

There is no absolute right order for Ascendency. You can leave Undeniable until Merciless Lab and level with Resolute Technique before being able to use Grelwood Shank.

Unbreakable seems like a good choice since I am using Brass Dome as my current Body Armour, but I want more elemental damage reduction so I choose Unyielding instead. (If you want more armour, you can go Unbreakable anytime)

Gem Link

Get this link on sequence
Reminder: Don't take Elemental Damage with weapon or Fire Penetration until you can convert 100% of physical to Fire with AoF or Watcher's Eye Anger convert physical to fire version.

Normal Life Leech Version:
6L - Molten Strike + Ancestral Call + Elemental Damage With Attacks + Concentrated Effect + Combustion Support + Fire Penetration

Concentrated Effect can be used before Elemental Damage With Attack if you want significantly more single target damage.

We have decent attack speed so we don't really need multistrike/ faster attack for smoother game play on 5-link.

For Thief Torment (We need moar attack speed) :
6L - Molten Strike + Ancestral Call + MultiStrike
+ Elemental Damage With Attacks + Concentrated Effect + Fire Penetration or Combustion Support (If no other skill that can proc Combustion Fire Resist Reduction Debuff)
Why not Elemental Focus? (Warning : Maths!)

(All gems are lvl 20)
100 Fire Damage
Against enemy with 50% elemental resist

Elemental Focus(49% more elemental damage, cannot inflict burning):
100 * 1.49 * 0.5 = 74.5

Combustion Support(29% more fire damage , -19% fire resist for enemy inflicted burning by you)
100 * 1.29 * 0.69 = 89.1 (include some minimal burning damage)

Fire Penetration Support(37% fire penetration)
100 * 0.87 = 87 (include some minimal burning damage)

Against enemy with 94% elemental resist (overcapped by map modifier)

Elemental Focus
100 * 1.49 * 0.25 = 37.25

Combustion Support
100 * 1.29 * 0.25 = 32.25

Fire Penetration Support
100 * 0.62 = 62

Against enemy with 40% elemental resist (Shaper / Guardian)

Elemental Focus
100 * 1.49 * 0.6 = 89.4

Combustion Support
100 * 1.29 * 0.79 = 101.91 (include some minimal burning damage)

Fire Penetration Support
100 * 0.97 = 97 (include some minimal burning damage)

Against enemy with 0% elemental resist

Elemental Focus
100 * 1.49 = 149

Combustion Support
100 * 1.29 * 1.19 = 153 (include some minimal burning damage)
Notice :
Enemy damage taken is consider More damage that only additive with other source of damage taken.
For example, enemy covered in ash = 20% more fire damage taken
Enemy has -20% fire resist = 20% more fire damage taken
Enemy total damage taken = (20%+20%)=40% more fire damage taken

Fire Penetration Support
100 * 1.37 = 137 (include some minimal burning damage)

Conclusion :
Combustion support is pretty busted and win against Elemental Focus support in almost all occasion unless the mobs is extra buffed on elemental resist. ( > 75% elemental resist ), which Fire penetration support excels at (no surprise).

Combustion fire resist reduction will only happen if you ignite enemy with skill it linked to (in this case Molten Strike), so the first few strikes may have less damage.

Igniting enemy deal some damage but igniting monsters will sometime make them flee which is annoying.

For enemy with low fire resist, use Combustion support unless you can proc combustion fire resist reduction from other source (like CWDT + fire spell).
For enemy with high fire resist (map buffed/rare mobs), use fire penetration support.

We do not swap Ancestral Call while Bossing.
Explanation

Molten Strike has an unique mechanic which even if your melee hit miss, Molten Balls will still be produced on attack.
Your play style against boss would be :
Attack In Place an area near to the boss ->
Let your ancestral call clone hit the boss =
Producing 2 sets of Molten Balls that can damage the bosses.
This method may need actual test to determine its effectiveness compare to another support gem.

Reminder : If you using Multistrike , DON'T stand in the melee range to the boss, the repeated attacks will auto-target the boss, thus producing 1 set of molten balls only. This is much easier to happen in 3.4 with Molten Strike having increased range.
If you are using thief's torment and are against Shaper, you may need to replace Multi-strike with other support gems since you need to be in Melee Range to prevent Shaper from using his projectile attack. (Elemental Damage is still deadly to us)

4-Link Movement : Whirling Blade/Leap Slam+Fortify+Blood Magic+Faster Attack

If you use Whirling Blade as movement, be sure to use 1 socket to socket Leap Slam for ledge crossing.

Buff : Herald of Purity, Blood Rage

Utility (Optional) : Herald of Purity + Blind Support + Culling Support

Aura : Anger

Warcry : Enduring Cry (For endurance charge generation)

Totem : Ancestral Protector (Ancestral Warchief melee damage buff won't affect Molten Balls)
Alternatively you can link Combustion to Ancestral Protector if you don't want to link Combustion to Molten Strike while also don't have enough gem socket for CWDT combustion setup.

CWDT Setup (Optional, work well with new Unflinching) : Lvl 1 Cast When Damage Taken + lvl 3 Immortal Call

CWDT Elemental Overload/Combustion Setup - Lvl 1 Cast When Damage Taken +Orb of Storm + Increase Critical Strike Chance Support + Combustion Support
Mix and match however you like for CWDT buff/debuff.
I not quite a curse fan until they adjust the value for bosses.

Some neat lvling Unique Gear Recommendation

Lvling Weapon :

Lvling Helmet :

Lvling Body Armour :

Lvling Gloves :

Lvling Boots :

For Dex to use Daresso Passion and Ichimonji:

Lvling Ring:

Lvling Amulet :

Lvling Belts :

This Belt on top is not obtainable in 3.4 since Incursion league stuff will only be integrated in 3.5:

My Alternate version for this build

3.1 My Gear (Lvl 93) aka Alternate Version of the Build

After testing there and that, I just finalize my build with these equipment.

Abyss Jewels are nuts. Base HP on jewels? Sign me up!

Death's Door boot is for QoL purposes (Not required at all, just my choice). Immune to bleed hurrah. (No longer death to bleed because of mindlessness,especially Labyrinth).
Can switch to Abyss Boots, Bubonic Trail for more damage and HP but meh, I love bleed immunity more.

I have my elemental resists balanced out for reduced damage buff from Wise Oak flask.
Combined with Dying Sun, Topaz Flask and Taste of Hate, I have +6% max elemental resist while still have my elemental resists balanced out for Wise Oak.

My Ascendency Choice

https://i.redd.it/peybjbosdti01.jpg

Undeniable + Unbreakable + Unstoppable + Unflinching

Mix and Match whatever you like!

Since I have no longer had Immunity to Base Speed Reduction, so I go Unstoppable instead.

I do not choose Unflinching and Unrelenting as with so many no-HP uniques (Thief's Torment/ Death's Door/ Brass Dome), I unspec all my endurance charges and use those to increase my max HP % instead.

Abyss Jewels with high base hp (40+ HP) sure helps a lot :D.

Pantheon

No chaos resist on gear so just go pure defensive against chaos damage over time.

Offensive Stat

Meh Damage, but I just leave it like that because I have enough damage to clear all content.

Defensive Stat

While Walking:

While Standing:

Showcasing Video

T16 Vaal Temple :
https://youtu.be/p7a9Srq4Jic

Pros/Cons of Alternate Version compared to Guide version

Pro:
+ Immune to Bleed, Yay for Labyrinth and QoL for Mapping
+ Actually has movespeed so Haku mission is not a torture
+ Not using Kaom Roots or anything that has Unwavering Stance, can utilize Blind support for boss fight

Cons
- Less percentage% physical reduction because not using Endurance Charge, more fragile in huge physical damage boss battle (New CWDT + IC combo can help somewhat)
- Less HP Regeneration
- More expensive to setup. :/

Long story short, this is better and smoother for Mapping but not for Bossing. (Except bleed/corrupted blood heavy boss)

My 3.3 alternate build aka League Starter Chieftain version

This time around I want to try out Chieftain Ascendency, which I feel ok since now I can left out Xoph Blood while having 100% fire conversion on first Labyrinth (to utilise elemental damage with weapon support early) and 100% free fire resist which allows me to equip Tombfist. Leveling is a smooth run while itemisation is easier compare to Juggernaut variant but it does have it up and down.
Pros :
+ 100% Free Fire Resist with Thief Torment allows you to easily cap Fire Resist.
+ 100% Fire Conversion without reliance on Avatar of Fire (or Xoph's Blood). You can also utilise Atziri's Promise to get some damage boost.
+ Resolute Technique so 100% hit chance. Free out accuracy stat from gear.
+ Every 10 second, 3 second 70% physical added as fire is a very decent boost. (Make up for Elemental Overload since I spec Resolute Technique)

Cons :
- Less (I mean really less) Tanky
- Less overall speed (the reason i picked Juggernaut the first place instead of Chieftain)

My 3.3 alternate build aka Kaom's Heart version

Want to try something different this league. I am using Lvl 20 Conc Effect + Immolate Helmet so that I can use Kaom's Heart. I can now use Death's Door without worrying about my HP. Done Uber Elder with it (Yay easier access to Uber Elder).

If you use

You can get higher damage with this version.

PoB Link : https://pastebin.com/n6T6mCrg

Pros:
+ More Hp
+ Benefit more from %HP Jewel instead of Abyss Jewel (which good abyss jewel is expensive)

Cons:
- No Loreweave, elemental damage gonna hurt.
- No brass dome, so crit chance + crit multi map mod is deadly.
- You have less gem socket to utilise. Pretty much discourage you to use Kaom's Roots because you have too little gem socket.

My 3.3 1-hand Grelwood Shank+Invictus Solaris aka too lazy to check for degen

PoB : https://pastebin.com/0NukX7Yk

Reasons why I go this version:
Sometimes I hate ignite and I don't want to use dousing flask for it (and that's it). Here come Invictus Solaris!

Immune to ignite, +2 level to socketed so we can put Ancestral Proctector, Anger and Blood Rage in there (both of these benefit from +lvl) and life!

Fire Aegis is a temporary force field that can absorb 1000 fire damage (recharge after not taking damage for 10 second). Useful when you find yourself accidentally get caught by Detonate Dead or Volatile Dead or even elemental reflect Nemesis mod because they both fire damage and you have more hp to tank it.

I need to sacrifice my offensive stat for it though, so I have gone for Loreweave for damage (also max resist lock in the same time).

Net myself a neat helmet later so now I am rocking a 6-link Combustion Shield Charge! (Much luxury I know but now I can apply combustion without waiting enemy to proc my CWDT)

I am now immune to poison (upgrade Soul of Shakari), Bleed (Death's Door) and Ignite (Invictus Solaris)! The only degen in the game that can affect me now is Chaos/Cold Pool!

Example of a League Starter gear (3.4)

Thief's Torment price has risen to the sky of the roof (Usually 10 chaos, now 25+ chaos). So I back to life leech.
Grelwood Shank is also still pricey, so I am still waiting for price drop for both of them.

Currently lvl 87 and my gear :

All my rare's (except armour) cost around 1-2 chaos, including the 5-link armour that I replaced. I bought a set of "Emperor of Purity" card (7 cards total up to 28c) to net myself a 6-link Str/Int Armour and craft it with Screaming Essence of Greed (2c each) to get myself a "good enough" armour.

Ichimonji (1-2 chaos each) is suffice as a replacement for Grelwood Shank until you get it (Although is now bugged in delveand you cannot delve with it). Alternatively you can get Fate Upgraded Redbeak which is Dreadbeak (more potential damage but also more expensive) but I love the innate attack speed of Ichimonji more.

Beltimber blade is actually a good replacement for second Grelwood Shank if you don't have the currency to afford it since it's cheaper. You only need 1 Grelwood Shank for point blank.

I am using Hrimnor's Resolve (1 chaos for good roll) because it's has all the stat I want, cold resist, life and fire damage. Starkonja's Head is a little bit too pricey for my taste.

2-abyss socket Tombfist is a luxury (I got it as a drop). A 1-abyss socket Tombfist (around 5 chaos) is suffice for the Intimidation debuff on enemy.

Bloodgrip is still useful as ever for Labyrinth run and Delve darkness manoeuvre because of the life flask recovery.

The Nomad belt is a great damage boost and flask charger, also provide a lot of dexterity which our build needs for Blood Rage and Faster Attack support. Manually fate upgrade it yourself (require Act 9 though) to save more chaos.

I using doedre's elixir because it's can manually proc my CWDT (for Immortal Call and Orb of Storm). Orb of storm is bugged right now though and cannot be triggered. Aiming to get a great deal out of Wise Oak next.

My current passive tree is the same as my proposed 3.4 league starter tree in Passive Tree section.

My ascendancy is slightly different to what I recommended on Ascendency section, since delve has more cold damage mob and stun source at early lvl, I go unstoppable first, Unflinching next then finally Undeniable. Uber lab being Unbreakable.

3.1 Video

Dual Grelwood
Shaper Run (Deathless):
https://youtu.be/C5xqOJI_Crc

Maze of Minatour :
https://youtu.be/sBXAas3ybZQ

Lair of Hydra (Showcasing Thief's Torment Life Gain on Hit) :
https://youtu.be/voXSKTBcSgk

Pit of Chimera :
https://youtu.be/GU5OXlXfYcs

First time ever Alluring Abyss (Thief's Torment is Fun, 5 deaths though :( )
https://youtu.be/UdRdiAup5l4

3.3 Video

Uber Elder Run (2 Deaths) I admit I lazy to farm more uber elder so there no improvise version like 0 death:/
https://youtu.be/mktB8_5MVW4

About Hall of GrandMaster

My experience

Cleared HoGM with my 3.1 alternate build version. I am lucky to not meet with heavy chaos damage grandmaster and ES Aegis GM (GodDamnIt Guben). Die twice though, once to the a lvl 100 lightning arrow Ranger while I forgot to setup my Flask and once to already dead grandmaster's ancestral warchief totem. (God I forgot how warchief totem still active even if the master is dead lol).

Guideline

-Not recommended for Life Leech version. Some grandmasters could not be life leeched as they have bloodless (bottom left notable life node, enemy can't leech you) which make sustaining almost impossible. Try to use life gain on hit support or Thief Torment for sustain instead.

-Brass Dome is recommended and is more important than any life armour for melee character in HoGM. Some grandmasters (especially Ranged) heavily invest in crit multiplier while also having high base damage to go with it. Nullifying extra crit damage = nullify one of the greatest wall for melee character to clear HoGM. I recommend Brass Dome even with CWDT Immortal Call setup, Elemental Crit is no joke.

-Get Block Chance and Dodge Reduction support. 100% crucial against max block grandmaster. Some grandmasters may even be unkillable with block chance reduction :/ (Since Molten Strike hits so many times that proc their Aegie Aurora effect) OH GOD GUBEN. Another way to counter CWDT Max Block master is to get Balefire off-hand and burn them with Scorching Ray, nice and easy.

-Get Amethyst Flask with Increased Duration/effect to up your chaos resistance. Having negative or low chaos resists while going against any grandmasters that focus heavily with heavy chaos damage usually end up with duo KO.

-Immune/Remove curse flask on utility flask (like Amethyst Flask) is optional but is very useful since notable grandmasters can tri-curse. (Thief Torment halves curse effect but still dangerous).

-Immune/Remove Bleed and Shock however is crucial in HoGM. Topaz flask with immune shock works wonder against lightning damage grandmaster matchup. Immune/Remove bleed could be from either life flask/utility base flask or Death's Door boot depend on your preference to counter puncture Grandmaster.

-Need more experience on ignite grandmaster since never die from heavy ignite damage. Life Flask that remove burning would suffice.

-Go slow. Be safe than sorry. Avoid fighting the whole grandmaster group while you onto the next wave.
Recommended tactic: Zip (Whirling Blade) into next wave, attack ground with Molten Strike then Zap away. Try to lure Grandmaster to 1v1 battle.
You can always retreat to regen up to full HP if you out of life flask charges. Refill / change flasks or equipment with portal if necessary.

-Beware summoner grandmasters. Some minions HIT HARD while some summoners take Minion Instability just to tick you off.

My experience with this build

Very Fun (If your PC can handle the molten balls). Abyss Jewels really helped in both HP and damage-wise.
Decent labyrinth runners and boss clearer. Mapping maybe slower with Molten Strike but as soon you get used to strike needed per pack, it is a smooth run as long you get a loot filter.
This is also a build that can utilise Thief's Torment until the very end content, which is my most favourite Unique item in the game.

Although not having higher DPS for bosses, I am having fun with non-trivialised T16 onwards boss fight. It is a learn-to-dodge-one-shot simulator.

While you finally get your damage to be sufficient high, this build can do Uber Elder, Shaper, Uber Atziri, Elder, Guardians, as long you remain alert.
Having lower hp (6k-ish) make you still vulnerable to one-shot from heavy elemental damage.

Fact : I hate rares because value-ing rares make me headache. I often try to use as much Unique as I can.

Hardcore-viability will always be a mystery. (May need to go shield for that)

I am free for further discussion! :D Thanks for reading!
Update

2.1 :
Added bandit choice recommendation. THAT IS VERY LATE.

2.2 :
3.4 passive tree update. Oh boi more buff. Updated Gem Link.

2.3 :
Some update around skill. Added Nebuloch + Grelwood Shank passive tree.
Last edited by RobakoGarena on Sep 25, 2018, 2:26:45 AM
Last bumped on Oct 17, 2018, 11:34:05 AM
Hei, I like the idea behind your build. Would you be able to post a video of a game play?

Also, I saw Engineering Eternity post his version of this build. Can you give your opinion on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSWrWS-xLyc

Thank you.
"
Completed 9 ChallengesSidhuraj wrote:
Hei, I like the idea behind your build. Would you be able to post a video of a game play?

Also, I saw Engineering Eternity post his version of this build. Can you give your opinion on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSWrWS-xLyc

Thank you.

In my opinion, EE build is more suitable towards boss fighting since it has over-leech and more hp. (In my build I still require life flask to survive sustained fight)

Meanwhile, just found a weapon that complement pretty nicely with the build (Hint: Nebuloch). Gonna update the thread :D.
Last edited by RobakoGarena on Dec 27, 2017, 1:25:17 PM
Hi, can i do HoGM with this build ? thanks :D
"
Completed 27 Challengesdante112233 wrote:
Hi, can i do HoGM with this build ? thanks :D

Have not attempted HoGM yet with this build. I may try it after I get sufficient chaos resist from my gear. (Currently at -60% with Dual Grelwood or -32% on Nebuloch off-hand) :\

Not quite recommended to go HoGM with this build because Molten Strike does not deal as much damage to human-sized target (Molten Balls is more unlikely to hit them) and fast moving target (Molten balls take time to land). Those Max Block Aegis GMs may take ages to kill too.
Last edited by RobakoGarena on Jan 1, 2018, 10:38:34 PM
thanks for the build, can i build hrimnor's resolve?
"
zPieee_HD wrote:
thanks for the build, can i build hrimnor's resolve?

It can be used while leveling from lvl 55 to lvl 67 before you can use Kaom's Root to get freeze/chill immunity.

If you are using rare or other unique boots, unstoppable ascendency on Juggernaut is sufficient and you go for offensive oriented Helmet instead. ( Need other source of stun immunity though like Unwavering Stance or Unbreakable )

poeurl.com/bM5I

And alternatively for only 2 more Points a Little bit increased dmg and better attack Speed this one:
poeurl.com/bM6v

Also possible with 4 more points for more armour, movement, res & reg: poeurl.com/bM69

And this would be the leveling route for the first 65 points spent in the new league due to having bad gear with bad res early on: poeurl.com/bM7m
Last edited by haGrOck on Mar 1, 2018, 7:48:44 PM
"
Completed 7 ChallengeshaGrOck wrote:

poeurl.com/bM5I

poeurl.com/bM6v

To be honest, no. I kinda bad at min-maxing build ( Thus not quite good at utilising Rares )

Your version should be better than mine, especially with that 1 jewel socket (Abyss Socket is nuts) and no wasted passive point of melee physical damage.

Although I may go for more HP instead of more armour, at higher tier map I usually die to heavy elemental damage instead of physical damage.

Will PoB on my current Juggernaut to see how much more buffed I am as soon as I am free, thanks for the head up!
Last edited by RobakoGarena on Mar 1, 2018, 9:09:31 PM
@Author/OP

You are *REALLY* missing out by not using Concentrated Effect in your molten strike setup. It has multiple behaviors that really work negatively with increased AoE. If you swapped out Fire Penetration for it, you'd see a huge gain versus all content. See this reddit post (includes a video explaining, and a GGG post confirming how it behaves):

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/568ew3/simple_graphical_explanation_of_molten_strike_and/
Last edited by Xyrm on Mar 1, 2018, 9:11:23 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info