[3.2] Death's Oath Spirit Burst Trickster Clearspeed Build

"
ArchieGriffs wrote:
"
Just wanted to comment here that I'm playing a similar build that you might find interesting. I am using Death's Oath with Lightpoacher and Trickster ascendancy, but that's where the similarities end. I am using Blade Vortex and Chaos Conversion, Added Chaos Damage effects to stack poisons and massively improve the build's DPS. (Currently around 1.5m DPS in ideal Path of Building conditions, around 600k-1m in more realistic conditions)

Just comparing to the videos of this build on the first post, my build atm is tankier and does more damage and clears faster. (Watching the Primordial Pool vid, I definitely kill the boss about 2-4 times faster than shown in the video) I'm certain there is still room for optimizing and improvement, but I think it is a much better all round build than trying to rely on Death's Oath and Lightpoacher entirely.

Would be interested to see if this gives other people trying Death's Oath builds any ideas.
To be fair there's quite a bit more currency put into your build than mine, but you're right my build is incredibly limited in terms of bossing dps, you're able to work in much much more dps into single target and damage in lightpoacher in exchange for ~40% of your death's oath damage. I can't believe how much poison damage you're able to get your light poacher to have. Anything over 30k death's aura dps is unnecessary if you can scale lightpoacher that much better. I definitely want to see how your build plays though, I'm a little skeptical that it clears faster than mine unless you're including boss killing time into the equation, but with that lightpoacher damage it's not unbelievable.

Threw in a Primordial Pool and took a quick video for comparison, with me missing a pack and backtracking a bit and accidentally standing just outside my BV range for a few seconds on the boss it was the same time as your video.

https://youtu.be/jPJixqmw_5g

The thing about BV and Poison though is that both BV itself and Poison as a source of damage require a bit of ramp up time to get going. So while I can reach a theoretical 1.5m dps with BV in PoB, realistically I'm almost never hitting that. For clearing that really doesn't matter, as just having 5 stacks of BV around me as I shield charge around is more than enough to clear small monsters, and for map bosses I usually kill them before my DPS ramp really gets going. For bigger bosses like Atziri and Elder I can cast 20 BV stacks before starting the fight and usually delete their first phase. It's difficult to stand still for that long once the encounter starts, though. (About 6-7 seconds to reach 20 stacks from 0)

For the Lightpoacher though, the poison scaling is pretty great because I get to scale it with everything. Physical Damage, Chaos Damage, Spell Damage, Damage Over Time, Poison Damage, everything I take contributes to it's scaling in some way and that allows it to pierce through packs with 100% poison chance and get a lot of value of out it. Often you'll cast BV or Shield Charge in rapid succession and shoot off several bursts that will clear packs on their own off screen.

I'm pretty sure this build is slower clear speed than say Herald Bomber, but it's definitely high tier clear speed and okay at boss killing.

EDIT:

Here's a video of me doing a sextanted (white only) Shaped Channel, which is mostly what I'm farming at the moment on this character. Got a few Abyss cracks here, which I feel this build is great at clearing because of high chaos resist and being able to stack BV while waiting for things to spawn.

https://youtu.be/gCsTQ7s62VI
Last edited by Dyaven on Jan 11, 2018, 8:04:24 PM
"
"
ArchieGriffs wrote:
"
Just wanted to comment here that I'm playing a similar build that you might find interesting. I am using Death's Oath with Lightpoacher and Trickster ascendancy, but that's where the similarities end. I am using Blade Vortex and Chaos Conversion, Added Chaos Damage effects to stack poisons and massively improve the build's DPS. (Currently around 1.5m DPS in ideal Path of Building conditions, around 600k-1m in more realistic conditions)

Just comparing to the videos of this build on the first post, my build atm is tankier and does more damage and clears faster. (Watching the Primordial Pool vid, I definitely kill the boss about 2-4 times faster than shown in the video) I'm certain there is still room for optimizing and improvement, but I think it is a much better all round build than trying to rely on Death's Oath and Lightpoacher entirely.

Would be interested to see if this gives other people trying Death's Oath builds any ideas.
To be fair there's quite a bit more currency put into your build than mine, but you're right my build is incredibly limited in terms of bossing dps, you're able to work in much much more dps into single target and damage in lightpoacher in exchange for ~40% of your death's oath damage. I can't believe how much poison damage you're able to get your light poacher to have. Anything over 30k death's aura dps is unnecessary if you can scale lightpoacher that much better. I definitely want to see how your build plays though, I'm a little skeptical that it clears faster than mine unless you're including boss killing time into the equation, but with that lightpoacher damage it's not unbelievable.

Threw in a Primordial Pool and took a quick video for comparison, with me missing a pack and backtracking a bit and accidentally standing just outside my BV range for a few seconds on the boss it was the same time as your video.

https://youtu.be/jPJixqmw_5g

The thing about BV and Poison though is that both BV itself and Poison as a source of damage require a bit of ramp up time to get going. So while I can reach a theoretical 1.5m dps with BV in PoB, realistically I'm almost never hitting that. For clearing that really doesn't matter, as just having 5 stacks of BV around me as I shield charge around is more than enough to clear small monsters, and for map bosses I usually kill them before my DPS ramp really gets going. For bigger bosses like Atziri and Elder I can cast 20 BV stacks before starting the fight and usually delete their first phase. It's difficult to stand still for that long once the encounter starts, though. (About 6-7 seconds to reach 20 stacks from 0)

For the Lightpoacher though, the poison scaling is pretty great because I get to scale it with everything. Physical Damage, Chaos Damage, Spell Damage, Damage Over Time, Poison Damage, everything I take contributes to it's scaling in some way and that allows it to pierce through packs with 100% poison chance and get a lot of value of out it. Often you'll cast BV or Shield Charge in rapid succession and shoot off several bursts that will clear packs on their own off screen.

I'm pretty sure this build is slower clear speed than say Herald Bomber, but it's definitely high tier clear speed and okay at boss killing.

EDIT:

Here's a video of me doing a sextanted (white only) Shaped Channel, which is mostly what I'm farming at the moment on this character. Got a few Abyss cracks here, which I feel this build is great at clearing because of high chaos resist and being able to stack BV while waiting for things to spawn.

https://youtu.be/gCsTQ7s62VI

First, thanks for the video! I totally meant comparing the builds in game and maybe running a few maps together, but a video works too XD. Second why aren't you using this?
It's an 80% more damage multiplier for your blade vortex. Pretty sure it's new this league, but thought you should know, as imo it's 100x better for your build than a taste of hate. I have yet to ever use one, so maybe I'm missing something, but I thought you should know.

Third, I still don't think ours are comparable clear times, I spent a full minute clearing an abyss and you didn't have one in your map. Your bossing dps is more impressive and will scale better than mine (especially with that flask assuming it works). It's somewhat obvious the lack of movement speed/attack speed you lose by not having insanity crafted gloves, along with not having high attack speed on your weapon (not aps, that doesn't affect shield charge speed). Your lightpoacher damage seems much stronger though, blade vortex doesn't automatically release spirit charges when hitting an enemy does it? I'm guessing it's just shield charge and building up vortex charges that sets it off. Also this is just another random idea, but I wonder how good a decay crafted weapon would do over what you currently have, it'd be much more expensive to pull off imo, but basically anything that gets hit by lightpoacher, shield charge, and blade vortex would get it applied. It's not nearly as worth it for your build as it is for mine, but I thought I'd throw it out, since it basically lets me 4 link my spirit burst.
You raise good points, I have definitely been considering going after a Decay crafted weapon but at least in PoB the numbers for a simulated one don't look too impressive me to, only about 15k max DPS from the Decay, but I'm not sure exactly how it works. Does it stack indefinitely? If so that adds up quickly with BV hits. At the very least, I know I definitely need a faster attack speed weapon. I was using Innsbury's Edge up until I crafted this dagger.

As for that flask, I did not know about it, however, I am not so sure if it is worth using. I am mostly using Taste of Hate as a defensive flask with a small damage upside, and it is also functioning as my freeze flask. The poison flask is a paper DPS boost for me if I equip it in PoB, about 26%, however the flat Crit multiplier would actually lower the average initial hit damage of my BV quite a bit, not sure if backloading my damage so much would be a good thing over all. It's a very cheap flask though, so I will definitely give it a test. Thanks for pointing it out!
Last edited by Dyaven on Jan 11, 2018, 10:59:13 PM
"
You raise good points, I have definitely been considering going after a Decay crafted weapon but at least in PoB the numbers for a simulated one don't look too impressive me to, only about 15k max DPS from the Decay, but I'm not sure exactly how it works. Does it stack indefinitely? If so that adds up quickly with BV hits. At the very least, I know I definitely need a faster attack speed weapon. I was using Innsbury's Edge up until I crafted this dagger.

As for that flask, I did not know about it, however, I am not so sure if it is worth using. I am mostly using Taste of Hate as a defensive flask with a small damage upside, and it is also functioning as my freeze flask. The poison flask is a paper DPS boost for me if I equip it in PoB, about 26%, however the flat Crit multiplier would actually lower the average initial hit damage of my BV quite a bit, not sure if backloading my damage so much would be a good thing over all. It's a very cheap flask though, so I will definitely give it a test. Thanks for pointing it out!
The decay thing is something I've been considering to boost my lightpoacher damage, you have quite a bit more than me so there's diminishing returns. With your weapon it looks like it's a lot easier to find a dagger with the affixes you need rather than trying to create it with a very expensive decay setup and hope you get the right ones.

I don't see why the initial hit matters too much with blade vortex when it's a bunch of little hits, assuming its more damage per second and assuming that's right off the bat and without any ramp up or reach peak damage/stacked poisons I'd assume there's little to no downside. And I'm using your pob link and it's still showing it's a 80%+ dps multiplier, I don't think I changed anything other than the flask.

Grabbed that flask and tested it out in place of Taste of Hate last night. It does feel pretty good. Will probably keep using it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

I also was looking for an ilevel 85 Elder Dagger with a higher base attack speed than what I had (mine was 1.2 base, the highest is 1.5) and found one that looked pretty perfect as it was so I just bought it and crafted spell damage on it. I was planning on going for an attack speed roll, but there's no suffix to craft it on and I think it's too good to risk trying to annul the crit chance. I'm going to use this for now, as the 1.5 attack speed is still far better than the 1.2 I was using, but not quite as good as the 1.67 on my 25% Innsbury Edge. (Which I was also testing with a bit last night, I had forgotten how much faster it is than my crafted dagger!)
"

Grabbed that flask and tested it out in place of Taste of Hate last night. It does feel pretty good. Will probably keep using it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

I also was looking for an ilevel 85 Elder Dagger with a higher base attack speed than what I had (mine was 1.2 base, the highest is 1.5) and found one that looked pretty perfect as it was so I just bought it and crafted spell damage on it. I was planning on going for an attack speed roll, but there's no suffix to craft it on and I think it's too good to risk trying to annul the crit chance. I'm going to use this for now, as the 1.5 attack speed is still far better than the 1.2 I was using, but not quite as good as the 1.67 on my 25% Innsbury Edge. (Which I was also testing with a bit last night, I had forgotten how much faster it is than my crafted dagger!)
The only thing that matters on whirling blades and shield charge speed is the implicit attack speed roll, not attacks per second, it's pretty easy to test this out with a foil without any attack speed implicits, and something with 1.2-1.3 aps, and it's really really obvious when you are comparing two weapons with the same base but one has 15%+ attack speed and the other has nothing. A foil with 1.6 aps is about half as fast as a innsbury with 25% attack speed that has a similar 1.61 aps
EDIT: Misunderstood, you are correct
Last edited by Dyaven on Jan 12, 2018, 7:40:12 PM

Made myself an attack speed dagger, not fantastic but the difference is noticable. This is probably as far I'm going to go wtih this character, I am starting to think of what I'm going to do next, not sure but I am quite pleased with this build's farming capabiltiies in the mean time.

Running some unid sextanted Shaped Channels with the new potion and dagger.
Can you add a gem-link section pls?

Also are there any alternatives if I dont want to use the hungry loop ring?
"
Xetremer wrote:

Also are there any alternatives if I dont want to use the hungry loop ring?
Allelopathy

"
Can you add a gem-link section pls?
There is one

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info