Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup a fun rogue-like

Following this thread https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2046910 Talking about poe in 2017 and the creation of "OWN", I would like to encourage people to try rogue-likes.

One very fun is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, it is super hard (you can die on your fist encounter) but great fun.

https://crawl.develz.org/

Your only goal is to find the magical artifact and get out alive.
If you like hard rogue-like games and do not care about graphics it is in my opinion one of the best right now. Try it! (try downloading the Graphical Tiles first)

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Strategy_guides

hotkeys:
Spoiler
Movement

Use numeric keypad directionally:

5/del/. - rest one turn
Shift + 5 (keypad) - rest up to 100 turns

< - ascend a stairway
> - descend a stairway
shift + direction - "long walk"
bump door/o - open a door
c - close a door

Combat

bump/ctrl + direction/* + direction - attack in that direction
w - wield or ready a weapon or item
t - throw (or alternately, shoot) an item
f - fire first available missile weapon
' - switch item
D - dissect a corpse

Magic

z - zap a wand
Z - cast a spell
M - memorize a spell
E - evoke/invoke special power (if any) of wielded/readied item
a - use a special ability

Character Stuff

i - inventory
e - eat food
q - quaff (drink) a potion
5/del/. - rest one turn
Shift + 5 (keypad) - rest up to 100 turns
! - shout or give commands to allies
n - check skills
ctrl + direction - find/remove a trap
p - pray
= - reassign inventory/spell letters

Items, Armor And Jewelry

g/, - get or pick up an item
d - drop an item
P - put on jewelry
R - remove jewelry
W - wear armor including shields, gloves, boots, etc.
T - take off armor including shields, gloves, boots, etc.
] - display worn armor

Information

x - examine surroundings within line of sight
r - read a scroll or book
v - view inventory item description
s - search adjacent spaces for traps, secret doors, etc.
X - view automap of level
+/up arrow - scroll level map up
-/down arrow - scroll level map down
\ - known items list
; - examine occupied space
O - overview/summary of current dungeon level
@ - character health status
A - list abilities or mutations
C - check experience info
^ - character religion (if any) desription
# - write charcter info to text file
ctrl + P - see old messages

Helpful Commands

? - evoke complete commands list
Q - quit without saving
S - save game and exit
ctrl + X - save game without query
ctrl + A - toggle autopickup of items on/off
ctrl + R - redraw screen
V - game version info

It is also a reminder that Rogue-like can be fun and great devs like GGG should not discard the idea of "OWN". With poe assets creating a rogue-like type side game with descent-like levels could be a great success.

For those who like those youtube let s play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHa7hiLVQ0k
Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Dec 18, 2017, 3:10:55 AM
Last bumped on Dec 28, 2017, 10:07:21 PM
used to play this in the past. it's extremely well done. and hard (I suck at them, but oh so fun even if you can only get 1-10 levels down)
rawr. fear me.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
if it's not on tablet I'm not really likely to try it. If I'm at the PC, it's either PoE or Warframe with my GF and a few friends. No other reason to be here gaming-wise. :)

there's a browser version if you click the big "play online" button. Not in the multiplayer sense, but play the browser version (which is identical). so unless your tablet cannot handle w/e engine it uses, should be fine.
You can also watch people play (like a built-in twitch) if you just want to sit back and watch the tension.
rawr. fear me.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I have to admit I was blurry on rogue-like vs rogue-LITE but I've cleared that up now.

Rogue-lites are more my thing but I've played my share of these more creative, turn-based rogue-likes in my time. Tales of Maj'whatsis was the last one I did.

This looks fun and clever but I'll confess, if it's not on tablet I'm not really likely to try it. If I'm at the PC, it's either PoE or Warframe with my GF and a few friends. No other reason to be here gaming-wise. :)

Tales is way easier than this game but also less fun (in my opinion).

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup have some really crazy things going on, some spell cast goes wrong and you become an imp.

you try to pray gods/demons and either end with a tail and horns or be cursed until the end of the game.
Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Dec 18, 2017, 1:29:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHa7hiLVQ0k
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup Let's Play

"
鬼殺し wrote:
I got a feeling the keyboard inputs wont work well on my petit 8 incher....

maybe this would help (android)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard&hl=en
Hacker's Keyboard

also for online version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newtzgames.dcssonline
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup Online

(I have not tested those, I do not own android/Ios)

------------------------

[Guide] How to play DCSS Tiles offline on Android self.dcss

submitted 11 months ago * by Rydra

I was curious about knowing how to play Tiles offline on an Android device since, when I want to play, I usually don't have an internet connection fully available. I asked the question on this thread and after installing the apk and doing some tricky tweaks I got it working perfectly with no crashes whatsover for entire games and wins.

So, how to do it?

Before proceeding, I got it working on an Android Tablet BQ Edison 3 with Android 5.0. Some people said that the application crashes on their devices so I cannot guarantee that you can get it working. Also it's worth mentioning that without a real keyboard for your device the playing experience is really crippled. I bought a bluetooth keyboard (you can get one at a fair price with a fair quality around ~18€/$ anywhere, I have a 1byone bluetooth) and it works wonders.

Steps:

Get and install the apk from http://crawl.newtzie.com/. You'll maybe have to enable the option to allow apks from unknown sources, check it here.

Once installed, there will be a folder on /sdcard/Android/data/crawl.develz.org, where Crawl config and saves are stored. Using a File Manager application (I use OI File Manager) create a new folder inside that one called settings.

Inside the newly created settings folder, create a new text file with whatever notepad application you want to use called "init.txt". This is the typical init.txt file of dcss where you can put your custom settings.

Put whatever settings you want, but you need necessarily one line:

macro_dir = /sdcard/Android/data/org.develz.crawl

Why? It seems that the Crawl Android application still has a default setting of ./.crawl for macro_dir, which is a path intended for Unix I think, which will render you unable to save your macros. With that line it will write your macro.txt file in the crawl data folder.

Done, you'll have your fully working crawl app on your Android. Feel free to make any suggestions. Once again, I cannot guarantee this will work on all devices nor all versions of Android. I Hope I could help you somehow.

EDIT: For me some keys (like the CTRL or ALT GR,) fail. In those cases you have to manually modify the macros. To do so add the following to your macro.txt file (create the file under /sdcard/Android/data/org.develz.crawl):

K:_
A:~

This will make the underscore character inside DCSS to behave as the macro option, allowing you to customize any keys that may not work well enough.
Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Dec 18, 2017, 3:09:03 AM
got back into this since the post.

always ID things if you have a scroll.
I made a ranged person, put on an axe for giggles. it was cursed (couldn't tell) with "cannot be unequipped". was not fun. died shortly because throwing arrows is not effective.
rawr. fear me.
Last edited by tidbit on Dec 18, 2017, 8:46:45 PM
I liked DC(SS) a lot more in the past before they removed a lot of stuff and "streamlined" everything.

The new gods are alright, but the new/changed races are pretty awful overall, and it feels like there's less variation between runs now.

It's still one of the best roguelikes around and in active development, fwiw.
my latest failed attempt.
was doing good, thought I could take on a few bees in a hallway. NOPE. poison hurts. nothing to heal, nothing to un-poison. was eating and drinking all potions, food and scrolls. nothing helped.

I became a brilliant poisoned tree
rawr. fear me.
Last edited by tidbit on Dec 28, 2017, 10:09:23 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info