Net neutrality discussion

The vote to repeal net neutrality has just gone through the FCC, didn't see a thread for this, so I made this one. Feel free to state your opinions/arguments on the matter.

My opinion? I don't really care. Once the ISPs realize they will be getting more customers from other ISPs by keeping the same ruleset they had before, the ones who try to use this to their advantage will actually be making less money because customers will move to the ISPs offering the same services as before, for the same price.

That being said, why put the rules into effect in the first place if everyone will end up giving the same services as previously and quickly run out of business if they try to use non-net neutrality to their advantage?

I also think people are largely overreacting to this situation, I'm not really for or against it, I just don't see the reasoning behind this given the above is almost guaranteed to happen.

Open to feedback, though, see if you guys can change my opinion on the matter.
Last bumped on Dec 20, 2017, 1:15:15 PM
The ISP market is in a state of oligopoy at best like most other sectors of the American economy so don't expect threat of competition to deter any poor behavior. It's a pretty harsh blow to small businesses and consumers. Here are some net neutrality violations from the past in case anyone is ignorant about the subject and thinks that ISPs wouldn't do this.
Trump is making moves. This is part of the plan to destroy Democracy in America.
It's hard to suppress the masses if you can't control the flow of information.

With the advent of the internet and social media, those in power slowly began to see their ability to manipulate and influence diminished by unfiltered access to information and on the scene amateur reporting. It was imperative that they implement some form of legislation that will open the door to regulating access to open data.

I see this as only the first step in a series of actions to reign in the general population and maintain status quo.
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."
What was the state before Net Neutrality was enacted (back in 2015)? I recall Comcast catching a lot of flak for throttling, and they stopped. After Net Neutrality passed, I know some ISPs were still throttling on the sly. I switched providers because of it, and have had no problems since.

The recent change to the law purportedly puts the internet back under the FTC rather than the FCC. Neither one showed much in the way of enforcement prior. If enforcement is needed, the FTC can do more, as they have a much broader scope of authority. As an example, the FTC could break Google apart if they deemed it necessary. The FCC not so much, Google might get a $10,000 fine.

In the end, it is up to us, the consumers, speaking up about when providers are abusing their powers. If we don't, it won't matter what laws are in place.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
We don't have net neutrality in Germany. Somehow we're still alive.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
We don't have net neutrality in Germany. Somehow we're still alive.

+1

The word "somehow" is essential.
Competition between ISPs sucks in many areas of the USA. Most people are limited to 1-2 options. And 2 companies could easily take the same position, and the consumer has to agree with it, or no internet, basically.
I know what it mean. Not the end of the world but People are gonna have pay more for "faster" internet.
"
BatMan421 wrote:
The vote to repeal net neutrality has just gone through the FCC, didn't see a thread for this, so I made this one. Feel free to state your opinions/arguments on the matter.

My opinion? I don't really care. Once the ISPs realize they will be getting more customers from other ISPs by keeping the same ruleset they had before, the ones who try to use this to their advantage will actually be making less money because customers will move to the ISPs offering the same services as before, for the same price.

That being said, why put the rules into effect in the first place if everyone will end up giving the same services as previously and quickly run out of business if they try to use non-net neutrality to their advantage?

I also think people are largely overreacting to this situation, I'm not really for or against it, I just don't see the reasoning behind this given the above is almost guaranteed to happen.

Open to feedback, though, see if you guys can change my opinion on the matter.

I do agree the free market competition would likely create the best internet service, both due to increasing quality, and minimizing use restrictions. The problem in the US is that these places don't compete, instead they stay out of each other's way. Around 30% of homes in the US only have one ISP, while another 30% only have two. So there's really no competition to drive people away to if your ISP is a dick.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info