New player need help

so i played poe ages ago, got to around lvl 40 didnt really understand the game and stopped playing. i decided to try again and really get into it, im a ex diablo player so i understand the basics of the game.

However i looked up a starter build online and decided to go scorching ray trickster and im now close to the end of act 5 starting act 6 and although i know im slightly underleveled i feel very underpowered.

I watch other players in public games and they are just powering through white mobs and yet i struggle dealing with large packs of whites. is this due to the build i chose? im following a build guide but dont know the order of what to go for first on the skill tree, could this be a big factor when levelling in terms of damage? im picking up the skills i feel will help first but maybe im doing it wrong? or is it somthing as simple as being the right level?

my experiance from diablo is that if your 2 to 4 levels behind a zone you may struggle slighty but still feel powerful, is this game different?

Thanks for any help
Zac
Last bumped on Dec 12, 2017, 1:39:30 PM
Act 6 really tests your fire and cold resists. You need to start looking to res cap at this point.
"
Mercystem wrote:
so i played poe ages ago, got to around lvl 40 didnt really understand the game and stopped playing. i decided to try again and really get into it, im a ex diablo player so i understand the basics of the game.

However i looked up a starter build online and decided to go scorching ray trickster and im now close to the end of act 5 starting act 6 and although i know im slightly underleveled i feel very underpowered.

I watch other players in public games and they are just powering through white mobs and yet i struggle dealing with large packs of whites. is this due to the build i chose? im following a build guide but dont know the order of what to go for first on the skill tree, could this be a big factor when levelling in terms of damage? im picking up the skills i feel will help first but maybe im doing it wrong? or is it somthing as simple as being the right level?

my experiance from diablo is that if your 2 to 4 levels behind a zone you may struggle slighty but still feel powerful, is this game different?

Thanks for any help
Zac

If you make your characters visible on settings on this website, we could take a look at your gears and skill tree, and then comment more.

Right now if I had to guess, you probably lack resists and life on gears
Reality is an illusion, Exile.
okay i think ive done it, and dont hate me for the state of the gear XD
"
Mercystem wrote:

Could you also link the build you're playing?
"
Mercystem wrote:
Your characters are showing up! I can't help you with caster stuff, but don't forget to use a second set of weapons to level up your second set of most used skill gems. That way, when your first set reaches level 20 and you promote them to 20%, but level 1 (with a gemcutters prism), you will have a set of high level gems to use while leveling the 20% back up.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
"
MBQ wrote:
Could you also link the build you're playing?

OK, I think I found it.

SO yeah, basically you need to upgrade your gears, that's all.

Both your weapons are very weak, they give almost no spell damage at all, that's why you're having a tough time killing anything. You can go to POE.trade and buy spell damage wands for very cheap.

Also, most of your defensive gears are quite weak too. You want more resists and life on them.

And lastly, but very important, your main skill is linked to only 1 support gem. That's why it's so weak. You want to link it to at least 3 support gems to do damage.

You've selected a pretty complicated starter build. If I'm honest, even I wouldn't dare to try and pull it off. It's not cheap as well. But if you're enjoying it, that's all that matters :)
so after a lot of thinking ive decided to start again, i wasnt enjoying the build as much as i thought i would and im happy to pack it in as a learing experiance. i started following another build but after some experimentation ive found a skill i would like to make a build from so i think ill just go my own way and enjoy what im doing.
Thanks for all your help guys, i now know i really need to focus on my gear and what stats i need. :)

Zac
I wouldn't use viper strike with dual princess
instead, frost blade with chances to bleed will work a lot better
gem orders are frost blade/chance to bleed/melee physical damage or weapon elemental damage/faster attack for 4 links until you get the multistrike
Last edited by 1stMBT on Dec 11, 2017, 8:31:26 PM
Your resistances on gear are / were
Fire 68%
Cold 41%
Lightning 60%
and you get 15% Fire resistance from your skill tree.

That means your resistances are
Fire 53%
Cold 11%
Lightning 30%.

The game is balanced around meeting the cap all the time.
You're taking
88% more Fire damage
256% more Cold damage
and 180% more Lightning damage
than you need to.

Capping resistances is easy, you just have to pay attention to what you need. The body armour is the only decent item.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info