Question about life leeching with Slayer

Hello exiles,

this league I started playing a 2-handed, bleed stacking slayer and I find myself somewhat puzzled about leeching.

I did read wiki of course, and I think I mostly understand the mechanics of leech but what I am fishing for is experience of others.

So, here are the questions I have:
1) Is Slayer's leech good enough on it's own without the support of Vaal Pact?
- I feel like it isn't, due to some nerfs of the max life to leech cap nodes
- but maybe you can prove me wrong and no Pact with some regen fares better?
2) What nodes do you take to further support life leech?
- for sure it's gonna be vitality void and nodes around it
- what about Hematophagy?
3) What do you think scales better - inc. life leech per sec or max LPS to leech rate?
- increase life leech is kinda straightforwardly improving the per sec gain on leech instances
- increased max is basically doing the same through increased upper cap (hence you have more leech instances active at a time)
- I am pretty sure I am missing something here but I am unable to tell what's better...

Last bumped on Dec 18, 2017, 8:29:26 PM
Ain't nobody got time for leeching? :-P
Hema is a given.
I took vaal packt cause it's huge boost to survivability. At the moment (in white maps) it is not really needed. I took the 3 Nodes for Axe (Splitting strike) also + the Vit Void cluster.
LL is plenty now. The more important thing though is getting enaugh of a life pool to survive heavy hits. You die one hit or not at all in my experience so far. So if u feel comfy without VP don't take it, u can always take it later if u feel the need. Concentrate on as much life as u can get and always have your resistances maxed ;)
Just my 2 cents
leech is based on max Life (or ES).

If you only have 5k life, leech is still at 2,2k~ per second if your dps and leech and rate is also good. But maximal 2,5k leech (50% of your hp) if you take all max increase notes.

So if your lifepool is 10k, your leech per second can be 5k, let us say 4k. if your def resis and so on is also good, there a some situations whe you also would die of incoming damage.

5 hard hits in less then a second and you are dead. the best option is to dodge/block hits also so that 5 hits -> truns to 1-2 hits. maybe then you could resist it if you do not take this hits again in the next second.

the only way to stay alive vs this without push armor/evasion/resis to an unlimited value (charges, fortyfy and so on) is to get instant leech. (possible with claws and atziri gloves)

good luck but atm leech is stupid, sure double leech with vaalpact helps a little bit to not die at 2 hits, but 5 big hits are also deadly and could fast happend.

Sorry for my english.
"
SiegfriedXX wrote:

If you only have 5k life, leech is still at 2,2k~ per second if your dps and leech and rate is also good. But maximal 2,5k leech (50% of your hp) if you take all max increase notes.

So if your lifepool is 10k, your leech per second can be 5k, let us say 4k. if your def resis and so on is also good, there a some situations whe you also would die of incoming damage.

5 hard hits in less then a second and you are dead. the best option is to dodge/block hits also so that 5 hits -> truns to 1-2 hits. maybe then you could resist it if you do not take this hits again in the next second.

the only way to stay alive vs this without push armor/evasion/resis to an unlimited value (charges, fortyfy and so on) is to get instant leech. (possible with claws and atziri gloves)

good luck but atm leech is stupid, sure double leech with vaalpact helps a little bit to not die at 2 hits, but 5 big hits are also deadly and could fast happend.

Sorry for my english.

Don't forget pantheon...

With vaal pact and pantheon plus nodes you get 20% + 6% x2 vaal pact =52% x 1.5(pantheon) =78% of max life per second.
"
Siliarus wrote:
3) What do you think scales better - inc. life leech per sec or max LPS to leech rate?

(changed the order for relevance)
1. For a Slayer, Vaal Pact simply adds [Max Leech Rate]% Life Regeneration, which is going to be 20-26% based on whether you have Vit Void/Hemato. If you have less Regeneration than 20-26%, Vaal Pact is de-facto better. Your Leech instances will last forever anyways.
3. +to Max Leech Rate; this and the Slayer Ascendancies will give enough Leech Rate and %Leech that you will never need even more Leech Rate.

2. Evasion. SiegfriedXX already mentioned this, but I'll further emphasize. Any hit you do not take gives you time to recover from the previous Hit, and even just a bit of Evasion goes a long way in this.

Additionally, Armour will help a lot against large Stun Immune packs. Normally you'd simply Stunlock normal monsters to death, but when they're Stun Immune, they can deal some serious Damage. Armour is good at mitigating these kinds of bursty hits, and it still helps a bit against harder Hits too.

ECharges and Fort are must-haves. Fort nodes not so much, but if you're two points from an ECharge anyways? Value.
Well, I am playing with Cleave so I have fortify at all times thanks to threshold gem. I also play acrobatics and since I will go full physical I do have reserved spot for Grace.

I am not into endurance charges though as I find casting the cry super annoying.

I was rather curious about the pure leech side of things - and thanks everyone for your feedback.

I am currently plying with Vaal pact as without it the max leech was way too slow for my liking (and who needs regeneration when you can out-leech blood rage for another 8 sec anyway).

I am only hesitant to pick up Hemato atm as it seems to be costly skill point-wise.
I'll see how to turns out, gotta even the tree a bit since I am playing basically SSF.

Thanks again for your opinions! Much appreciated :)
"
"
SiegfriedXX wrote:

Sorry for my english.

Don't forget pantheon...

With vaal pact and pantheon plus nodes you get 20% + 6% x2 vaal pact =52% x 1.5(pantheon) =78% of max life per second.

What? Pantheon? You mean Soul of Arakaali? Nah that not increase the max rate of your leech, only the speed but if your speed is at the limit per second the max, then you not realy increase something special here. it stay at the limit back at ~50% of your pool. thats the problem. it need to increase near to 100% maybe 90% with invest in items and so on in the future? maybe then its ok.
Yea, the pantheon won't help here. Besides it activates only after you stop taking DoT which is unreliable.

Though I feel like the leech (50+%) combined with CWDT+IC and insta flask should be pretty sufficient.
However, it is Slayer we talk about, the rest of the classes can just give up on leech as it would be inefficiently slow. Looks like time has come for the rebirth of life regenerating marauders and now also Inquisitors :)
"
Siliarus wrote:
Hello exiles,

this league I started playing a 2-handed, bleed stacking slayer and I find myself somewhat puzzled about leeching.

I did read wiki of course, and I think I mostly understand the mechanics of leech but what I am fishing for is experience of others.

- for sure it's gonna be vitality void and nodes around it
- what about Hematophagy?
- increase life leech is kinda straightforwardly improving the per sec gain on leech instances
- increased max is basically doing the same through increased upper cap (hence you have more leech instances active at a time)
- I am pretty sure I am missing something here but I am unable to tell what's better...

1). Yes, it's good even without Vaal Pact, but there is absolutely ZERO reasons not to take Vaal Pact for Slayer. You gain a lot of regen, and you lose nothing.
2). Vitality Void, Hematophagy, Vaal Pact, Soul of Arakali. If you can get nice amulet with maximum leech rate, get it too :).
3). Increased life leech per second is useless stat for Slayer (it doesnt increase you leech cap), while maximum life leech rate is increasibly useful and powerful.

"
Vipermagi wrote:

ECharges and Fort are must-haves. Fort nodes not so much, but if you're two points from an ECharge anyways? Value.

You cant stack endurance charges if you abuse CWDT+IC with Soul of Arakaali. So, you should make a choice - a proc for 50% faster regen/leech, or extra physical damage reduction + elemental resists from stacked endurance charges.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Dec 18, 2017, 4:22:16 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info