The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword - A fast, cheap and fun build!

Introduction

Welcome to my guide on playing what I like to call 'The Poet'!

This build is a very fun and high clear speed build on an extreme budget. In fact, I am surprised at exactly how much damage it is capable of on such little investment! This build features a really smooth leveling curve, and there is no real need to backtrack within your skill tree!

I normally play either by myself or with 1-2 friends, so this build was designed with that in mind. The build works "well" in parties!

Leveling the build

Leveling the build is very easy - Simply grab Molten Strike (or Frost Blades, your preference) and link it with Ancestral Call. This will easily carry you until level 12, at which point you are now able to play this glorious build.

Required Items

This build is based entirely around the new wand, The Poet's Pen. As such, it's a required item!

Helpful Uniques to have

You can wear these until you've finished the story!

Helpful Uniques

Gearing

You will want to prioritize Life and Resistances on your gear once you've finished Act 10.
BiS Chest is likely Kaom's Heart, and Kaom's Roots are likely BiS for boot slot. (Testing required still however)

Prioritize getting 12% Attack Speed on your Poet's Pen - this is the only mod has a range.

Coloring on your Poet's Pen is important!

Outside of Kaom's pieces, you want general life/resistance gear. I have a few ideas but nothing I feel confident recommending just yet ;)

Try to get as close to 4 APS on frenzy as possible - any more attack speed than that is a waste!

Links

Left Hand Poet's Pen is Bodyswap > Volatile Dead (Quality is important!) > Elemental Focus
Right Hand Poet's Pen is Unearth > Lesser/Greater Multiple Projectiles > Cremation (Quality is important!)

Pens are triggered by Frenzy (quality is very important!) > Faster Attacks. You can further support this with a quality culling strike and onslaught if you wish.

Those are the only important links; everything else is up to you. That is the beauty of the build!

Skill Tree PoB Link

PoB Link, Bandit, Ascendancy

Ascendancy: Pain Reaver, Crave The Slaughter, Aspect of Carnage, Rite of Ruin

Bandits: Kill All

PoB Skill Tree: https://pastebin.com/NFJrtjtn

Note: The final passive tree is roughly level 85 or so - This is intentional to allow for each and every one of you to adjust to your liking!

Elemental Overload has 100% uptime. I strongly recommend picking it up as soon as possible.

Media

Videos

Quick gameplay in Act 10, finishing up progression - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEUmyJncHms

Last edited by Detrites on Dec 12, 2017, 2:53:51 AM
Last bumped on Dec 16, 2017, 9:23:03 PM
Reserved;

Videos will be coming within a few hours. Slow upload is slow.
Ooh interesting. I'll give it a try as soon as I finish collecting up the currency. How's the damage against bosses (Uber Izaro, Shaper, etc.) ?
Download my Hideout HERE: https://poedb.tw/us/HideoutShare?id=a1f8d343fdc433903080cff8eb08b0d4
Last edited by Chevaleresque on Dec 11, 2017, 3:20:06 PM
"
Chevaleresque wrote:
Ooh interesting. I'll give it a try as soon as I finish collecting up the currency. How's the damage against bosses (Uber Izaro, Shaper, etc.) ?

Haven't done Shaper yet, but no other bosses have been an issue. With lab, it's a bit RNG as a bad bodyswap can shove you right into traps but once you get a bit better at controlling your corpses it's no issue.

I'll have some map videos and stuff up tonight. Planning on running atziri as well once so that should be up as well.
A bit confused, PoB says to help Alira, but you stated to kill all. Which one is it? both sounds like good options.
"
Phanatchon wrote:
A bit confused, PoB says to help Alira, but you stated to kill all. Which one is it? both sounds like good options.

Kill All.

I must have made a mistake with the POB. I'll fix it shortly.
"
"
Phanatchon wrote:

Kill All.

Thanks for the speedy response, this is the most fun I've had in awhile
Last edited by Phanatchon on Dec 11, 2017, 8:31:41 PM
"
Phanatchon wrote:
"
"
Phanatchon wrote:

Kill All.

Thanks for the speedy response, this is the most fun I've had in awhile

You're welcome :)

It's extremely fun and the public party reactions are great too ;)
Currently leveling this build and it's been crazy fun so far, any plans other than kaom's roots/kaom's heart for late game?

Thanks!
"
BloodThirsty8 wrote:
Currently leveling this build and it's been crazy fun so far, any plans other than kaom's roots/kaom's heart for late game?

Thanks!

Just generic life/resistance gear for now. Got some ideas I'm planning, but if they don't pan out I don't want people to spend currency on it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info