Overtuned...

Hmmm,
I'm not sure if it was really intended or not, but in the past the progression from act 10 to tier 1 maps was pretty smooth and linear.

This time after trouncing Kitava (albeit with some insane stutter lag) I put in my first tier 1 baby map... Got my ass handed to me as quickly and thoroughly as if taking an act 5 character up against act 10 kitava. I haven't had that happen in years.

Char was 'okay' - more than enough to sweep act 10 content without sweating. Figured mapping would be a step up - not a leap off a cliff.

And it wasn't even the abyss mobs (those were even worse... 4 bats and 5 cleavers all at once. No contest). Yeah, res was not capped - not nearly enough res or dps material dropping, though I would hardly expect a mediocre char to just get facerolled that soundly on tier 1.

Just thought I'd vent after deleting that char and wondering what build to start over with, or not bother.
Patch Notes 3.15:
Fixed a bug where players believed the game was playable. This has been corrected and made retroactive.
Patch Notes 3.19:
Fixed a bug where players adapted to 3.15. This bug cannot be corrected, so we have implemented a 90% reduction in item access as a punishment.
Last bumped on Dec 16, 2017, 12:33:32 AM
in general rare abyss mobs are harder than low tier map bosses, so keep that in mind
a lot of people find kitava much harder than low level maps, just fyi. if you do mechanical fights like him very well, then maybe you're just undergeared for maps

so its probably your res being uncapped or some particular mods that caused you issues
"
grepman wrote:
a lot of people find kitava much harder than low level maps, just fyi. if you do mechanical fights like him very well, then maybe you're just undergeared for maps

so its probably your res being uncapped or some particular mods that caused you issues

Yeah, I would've thought... but these were chump tier 1 white unrolled. Never had an issue with such before (usually when I get to maps I just alc + run right after act 10 completion. I didn't have enough alcs to do that so was running them white...) but holy hell was it a major jump in facerolling.

I ticked over a breach... that was not wise, because something like 80 mobs appeared before the circle got very large. Too many to even see anything but purple.

Yeah, seriously overtuned for starting maps. I would expect this at tier 5 and up, but not 1.
Patch Notes 3.15:
Fixed a bug where players believed the game was playable. This has been corrected and made retroactive.
Patch Notes 3.19:
Fixed a bug where players adapted to 3.15. This bug cannot be corrected, so we have implemented a 90% reduction in item access as a punishment.
"
BlaqWolf wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

Yeah, I would've thought... but these were chump tier 1 white unrolled. Never had an issue with such before (usually when I get to maps I just alc + run right after act 10 completion. I didn't have enough alcs to do that so was running them white...) but holy hell was it a major jump in facerolling.

I ticked over a breach... that was not wise, because something like 80 mobs appeared before the circle got very large. Too many to even see anything but purple.

Yeah, seriously overtuned for starting maps. I would expect this at tier 5 and up, but not 1.
what type of toon youre playing, how badly are you undercapped and what are your defenses ?

just wondering because Ive never had this situation. for some toons kitava is a small wall, but usually white t1s are a breeze

breach being overwhelming is a good sign your toon is undergeared or that your damage isnt quite there
We could could you with your build...

If it was still there. -_____-
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
I've died a couple of times to crit nemesis beyond mobs next to an abyss because I threw an alc on the map without even checking the mods first, but nothing seems to be out of the ordinary for me there. After I noticed that it was in fact beyond and that I had to pay attention because of the crits I just cleaned up the beyond boss and got on with the map. Kitava also had me die once or twice (he usually does, since I don't practice his mechanics, so until 3.1 I've only ever met him once or twice per character, and at a level where the xp loss doesn't hurt), but overall subjectively feels more difficult than low maps.

This league my character was map tier ele-weakness overcapped before kitava in act 10 though, so I didn't have any issue there.
You "ticked over a breach"? With non-capped resists? Instant death!

My opinion is that non-capped resists is the culprit for a lot of people feeling inadequate in any portion of Act V onward. The layered effects of the extra elemental damage is incredibly debilitating.

There are also combinations of mobs that may get rolled into your maps that can be horrible at any Tier - Solaris/Lunaris fanatics are especially bad if you are elemental vulnerable.

Rule of thumb = at least mid-roll life on as much gear as possible (all!) and max resists and all but the silliest builds (read: all dps and no life/defense in the tree) should do fine in entry level maps.

Or, as Warlord said - just go totems and run around like a bitch. It's what I start every league with, albeit 2-handed because I don't want a build that still requires a core unique.
"
Slaanesh69 wrote:

Or, as Warlord said - just go totems and run around like a bitch. It's what I start every league with, albeit 2-handed because I don't want a build that still requires a core unique.

That's pretty much what it was...
Yeah, not res capped because I've never had that issue with low tier maps in the past - and the drops were just not there to beef up my resistances; they were all in the 60s which was never an issue with a non-melee build in the past.

And the breech... well... I knew what I used to get when initially triggering it: 5 or 10 'close' mobs I could kite away from to establish a response. Not 40 in the area of an unbuffed flameblast.
Patch Notes 3.15:
Patch Notes 3.19:
Seems not much diffrent than before?

Kitava is leagues and above everything till at least yellow maps... That fight is still totally overtuned.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info