3.1 Firestorm insta-heal Chieftain concept

With instant leech gone, maybe it's time for RotSS to shine? In this build we try to make maximum use of the instant life recovery on ignite mod on this sword. That's why we use Firestorm with 100% chance to ignite to get as many ignites per second as possible.

Videos of my quickly slapped together test char "Takarango":

To get around the high mana costs of Firestorm, we use Scorching Ray and Cast While Channeling to trigger it. This gives us a maximum Firestorm cast rate of 2.86 per second. Since Firestorm has a duration of 2 seconds and creates 10 explosions per second, we can get around 50 explosions per second on full sustain.

Unfortunately, not all of these explosions will hit a single target, especially if the target is small and fast. But since we don't take any increased AoE nodes and use Concentrated Effect, it's possible to get 50%-80% of them to hit an average sized boss. There is also a nice Enchantment that increases the AoE of the explosions without widening the gap between them.

With dual wielded RotSS, we recover 2% of our max life per ignite, which amounts to about 50% - 80% of life recovered per second in rapid constant bursts. This can be further increased with Ngamahu's Sign, which adds another 20-30 life per ignite per ring, leading to almost 3% life recovered per ignite or 75% - 120% of life recovered per second on a char with 6k life. Furthermore, it's possible to add a CWDT setup with Ball Lightning, Slower Projectiles and Chance to Ignite, to get even more ignites per second and come pretty close to a lower end of 100% life recovered per second.

DPS isn't stellar, though. A realistic level 90 build with a 6L and otherwise cheap gear will reach just over 400k paper DPS max. It's possible to push this a bit further with top gear, but this build will never break the million DPS barrier, especially because it relies on curses.

You can look at this POB Link or check my recently respecced and so far abysmally geared character "Takarango" for some more information. I'll try to spec him out a bit better and then take on some hard bosses (if I can find them, seems all map bosses have changed in the latest patch).

I'm looking forward to any feedback and criticism.
Account inactive since Tencent majority share acquisition.
Last edited by zagibu on Dec 14, 2017, 6:09:02 PM
Last bumped on Dec 14, 2017, 6:08:17 PM
This build is Beginner Friendly /good Starter Leage for newbie? How leveling?
Last edited by henryk5pioo on Dec 11, 2017, 2:54:25 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's 1% upon ignition, not 1% upon igniting hit, which would mean that against a single boss you'd have to wait for the ignite to die off before another one could be applied, which definitely does not equate to 50-80% of your life restored per second, unless we're finding a way to reduce the ignite duration to basically nil. Against large packs, you'd be recovering 2% of life per monster in the pack, so it's more viable there but for bosses I don't think this is as effective as you think.
"
henryk5pioo wrote:
This build is Beginner Friendly /good Starter Leage for newbie? How leveling?

I can't recommend it for newbies and/or starter builds yet. I'm not saying it doesn't work, I just haven't really thought about it yet.

"
sainthazard wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's 1% upon ignition, not 1% upon igniting hit, which would mean that against a single boss you'd have to wait for the ignite to die off before another one could be applied, which definitely does not equate to 50-80% of your life restored per second, unless we're finding a way to reduce the ignite duration to basically nil. Against large packs, you'd be recovering 2% of life per monster in the pack, so it's more viable there but for bosses I don't think this is as effective as you think.

I am correcting you, because you are wrong :) Each igniting hit grants the 1% regenerated. Only the ignite with the highest damage per second will be "active", but all the other ignites will still count for the life recovery condition.
Added some videos of T10 and T11 maps. DPS is still pretty bad, need to get a higher level Scorching Ray and a 6L. And the Ball Lightning doesn't heal at all, because I don't have any added fire damage yet, so it can't ignite :(.
Added T14 maze map boss fight. Bought a Ngamahu's Sign, which makes recovery much better, mostly because Ball Lightning gets some fire damage now and the ability to ignite, and thus trigger the RotSS life recovery, too.
Added Lair, Gorge and Pit of the Chimera videos.

- Second form of Lair boss is ignite immune, which means no life recovery during that form = fail.
- Gorge boss pushed me on shocked ground with the knockback from his leap slam = fail.
- Chimera was okay until he spawned his snakes. -18% chaos res against snakes = fail.

The concept seems to work fine, though, it can outregen A LOT of damage. Would be interesting to see what an actually decent player with good gear could do with it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info