[3.1] [Theorycrafting] Volatile Dead Elementalist !hype

Hello everyone!

This post in not a build just a theorycrafting discussion, however if we manage to get something nice going i will try to make a nice build about it.

The idea is to play around the new skill gem Volatile Dead that will be release in 3.1. I believe this skill has a great potential for map clearing and could possibly be great for boss killing as well.

Step one

At the start of the map use Desecrate + Cascade to get some corpses going:

Step two

Now that we have corpses we can start using our main new spell Volatile Dead :

We can then keep using Volatile Dead using the corpses than we killed without having to use desecrate.

If no corpse is available (for exemple during boss fight) we can always create some on demand with Desecrate + Spell Cascade.

Possible BiS Items

Body Armour : Carcass Jack (?)
Ring : Sybil's Lament (?)
Weapon : Doryani's Catalyst (?)
Helmet : Hrimnor's Resolve (?)
Amulet : Ngamahu Tiki (?)

Possible Tree :

Level 90 Tree

Possible links:

► 6L : Volatile Dead + Cascade + Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus + Fire Penetration + Concentrated Effect
► 3L : Cascade + Desecrate + Faster Casting
► 4L : Shield Charge + Faster Attack + Fortify + Increased Critical Chance
► 3L : CWDT + Summon Flame Gollem + Immortal Call
► 4L : Spell Totem + Unearth + GMP + Faster Casting

Aura : Clarity - Anger

Let's make this work !

Feel free to share your ideas and thoughts about this theorycraft! I will be glad to see what you guys think!

Thanks a lot to Relidar for contributing a lot about this theorycrafting ! I started this theorycrafting discussion in the templar forum. You can find it here
Last edited by nocx13 on Dec 7, 2017, 9:21:00 AM
Last bumped on Dec 12, 2017, 4:01:20 AM
Sounds like an interesting idea, also sounds a bit annoying to play if I'm honest. I'll keep an eye on this though! Good luck my man.
Tagging in and keeping an eye on this one as well!

Thank you for mentioning me and including some of my thoughts :)
My Supporter Pack list compensates for my small penis.
I think cascade+desecrate will not keep up with your VD on bosses. use a gmp+unearth+totem.
for general map clear, and for upfront boss damage you might want the desecrate setup as well.
Note that for bosses who give you time to prepare, you can precast desecrate, VD, more desecrate, and totems, and the VD will wait with (for a duration) you for the boss to be ready.

Also, cascade will reduce both the damage and AoE of VD, so for clearing you might want to change it to echo or something.

Edit: I also read your templar post:

1. Ignore reflected damage. Get fast movement to dodge the mortars instead (see patch notes about the redesigned reflect), or just avoid these mobs (will only come as a map mod, or nemesis mod).

2. EO is good if you don't want to invest hard in crit. It will make crit multi irrelevant, and crit chance in very low priority (you can ling crit chance to your movement if you see it falls too much).

3. EE will only be good if it makes you 1-hit trash. Think that VD creates 3 balls (double for echo, triple for cascade). It is reasonable that the first ball will benefit from EE (applied by OoS, or movement skill), but the others will probably hit right after that, and they will be weaker. Note that balancing it to 1-hit trash mobs id probably not worth it.

4. Anger- you don't need to be in range of the balls for it to benefit, you only need it to affect yourself.
Last edited by bestdnd on Dec 6, 2017, 3:36:32 PM
I don't know if crit nodes are a good idea seems like wasted points. And instead of going for shadow start i would go for templar start and get that new jewel for the free 5% penetration.

I'm going for similiar build but i think i will be more into Detonate Dead.
"
bestdnd wrote:
I think cascade+desecrate will not keep up with your VD on bosses. use a gmp+unearth+totem.
for general map clear, and for upfront boss damage you might want the desecrate setup as well.
Note that for bosses who give you time to prepare, you can precast desecrate, VD, more desecrate, and totems, and the VD will wait with (for a duration) you for the boss to be ready.

Also, cascade will reduce both the damage and AoE of VD, so for clearing you might want to change it to echo or something.

Edit: I also read your templar post:

1. Ignore reflected damage. Get fast movement to dodge the mortars instead (see patch notes about the redesigned reflect), or just avoid these mobs (will only come as a map mod, or nemesis mod).

2. EO is good if you don't want to invest hard in crit. It will make crit multi irrelevant, and crit chance in very low priority (you can ling crit chance to your movement if you see it falls too much).

3. EE will only be good if it makes you 1-hit trash. Think that VD creates 3 balls (double for echo, triple for cascade). It is reasonable that the first ball will benefit from EE (applied by OoS, or movement skill), but the others will probably hit right after that, and they will be weaker. Note that balancing it to 1-hit trash mobs id probably not worth it.

4. Anger- you don't need to be in range of the balls for it to benefit, you only need it to affect yourself.

That's some very good points, thanks for pointing them out ! I will edit the post ASAP.

Thanks for sharing broski
The gem seems to have pretty disgusting damages :

The raw damages from the gem only should be around 4k damages with spell cascades
Last edited by nocx13 on Dec 7, 2017, 9:23:39 AM
I'm definitely leaning towards self casting both VD and Desecrate, unless i can find a better reason to use totems.

My issue right now is deciding between elementalist or trickster. Elementalist has slightly higher damage but trickster has better mobility and defense.

I'd love some feedback if someone is up for it!
My Supporter Pack list compensates for my small penis.
Nice idea but I think it would be better to use volatile dead with minion build so your minions create corpses for you and you can keep casting volatile dead.So I'm thinking some sort of spectare build is the way to go .

Another way to go would be cast on crit / cast while channelling imo
Mojojojo
Last edited by SteamDeck_Gamer on Dec 7, 2017, 12:37:50 PM
From what i have understood volatile dead does not scale with neither elemental damage or spell damage right? only fire damage, actually im not quiet sure about ele dmg, but i know fo sho it dosen't scale with spell dmg

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info