How will Osu! help me perform better in Path of Exile?

NOTE: this may require some advanced knowledge into both Path of Exile and Osu! in order to discuss or answer my question

So by now it's pretty safe to say that Path of Exile is my favorite game, tho as of late my activity haven't been that strong...
Anyway, a while back i used to play a timing, rhythm, click and hold Osu! and i have just started again since yesterday, my skills seem to vary and i have (like everybody else) went from completing the tutorial to playing 1-3 star maps and i would say i 2 star maps are probably where i'm most comfortable with but in terms of pushing myself, 3 star maps with no fail is probably the way to go to improve fast.

so the actual question i have is:
How will playing osu for a minimum of 1 hour each day for 3 years affect my performance in Path of Exile? I am currently 18 years old incase that is important.

for a better reference on what i'm asking, below is a link to a site which describes 10 ways you imrpove your hands, eyes and mind from playing Osu!

http://cloth5.com/10-reasons-you-should-be-playing-osu/alternatively, should be second when googling "osu how is it good for you"

list of the 10 things:
1. Muscle memory
2. accuracy
3. consistency
4. ocular retention/peripheral vision
5. speed/reaction time
6. hesitation
7. stamina
8. physicality
9. timing
10. pushing your limits

how you can answer:
which of these 10 and in what order do you think they have the most relavence in a game like PoE?
simple and easy to understand.
do you know anyone who have played both game actively who can relate to any of the 10?

what i think:
muscle memory, if you see a map or instance once (LABYRINTH) you will remember it and will be able to go from entrance to exit without going into dead ends which means you can farm the same instance over and over without forgetting the layout. am i correct? feel free to correct me on this or add something if you like.

accuracy, this is probably one of the less relavent of the bunch as you are fighting ai's who won't try to avoid your attacks. can't see any areas where good mouse accuracy would help you. know of any?

consistency, probably goes hand in hand with muscle memory with clearing the labyrinth or any other areas over and over, actually i think there is a bigger picture to this as Path of Exile is all about doing one thing that you feel works for you and making currency from it, having good consistency should help with this, yes?

ocular ret-/perip- vision, i'm sure there is some good use for this skill. you are essentically filtering out whats not important and focusing on what is.

speed/reaction time, hardcore players beware, this skill is probably the most important one of all for you to stay alive. with that being said, i would guess this one may be the winner in terms of keeping you alive in dangerous situations.

hesitation, not sure if it's related, but i have seen a lot of players in hardcore from watching the videos and it seems like a few of them die because they don't know wether to do one last thing or go to sleep/eat/wc or whatever, decisionmaking is the word, the question is if they are related. on other notes, in Osu! i commenly wonder if i should press the right or the left, z or x at a specific moment and sometimes when i see 3 notes close together, i have a hard time getting around that sometimes, in PoE's case, you may find yourself facing a reflect mob or something similar and you wonder if you should kill it or not and there are multiple mobs on the screen at once, this ofcourse involves more skills then just hesitation or decisionmaking but still... i don't really know.

stamina, i think i got stamina and consistency mixed up, it does what it does, one or the other.

physicality, not sure if tense up that often in PoE and it really has a negative impact on you, i suppose if you are facing something like the shaper or another boss with only 1 portal left and you try your best to survive but ultimately end up having a harder time doing so because your hand is griping and limiting the movement of your mouse and distracting you from the game just slightly.

timing, small moments here and there where timing matter, it's certainly there and helps you all throughout, the question is is there any special case where timing really helps you to a point where it's the most useful of the skills?

pushing your limits, probably a useful skill when combound with some of the other skills while going into a race or new league in PoE, what do you think?

this is for great curiosity and could help as a reference post in case someone else is wondering the same thing, lets hope somebody out there knows both the games and knows a bit about the brain
I usually do not read popular posts again after i made a comment on it, unless it's one of my own. I wish to have a Black robed Grim Reaper micro set in game one day, grant my wish, GGG
Last bumped on Nov 25, 2017, 7:58:36 AM
i played both osu! and (obliviusly) poe ,but i also played piano and i'm left handed so my condition is a bit different

"
muscle memory, if you see a map or instance once (LABYRINTH) you will remember it and will be able to go from entrance to exit without going into dead ends which means you can farm the same instance over and over without forgetting the layout. am i correct? feel free to correct me on this or add something if you like

a little note: run lab involves mainly place cells, they are specific neurons that help you to orientate.
Muscle memory it's more involved into stuff like run flaks and attacks or click circles in osu!, but mm it's pretty specific and i don't think mm generated from osu! will help you with poe, pretty much like you will not get so much benefit from playing piano when you'll start to play another musical instrument.

brain has very specific areas for every task and activates very small and specific areas for every different kind of work, but
1. Muscle memory
2. accuracy
3. consistency
4. ocular retention/peripheral vision (filtering out whats not important and focusing on what is.)
5. speed/reaction time
6. hesitation
8. physicality
9. timing

all this things are related to attention (they are controlled by attention or they help you to stay focused), attention it's a macro function of the brain and it will benefit from focused and prolonged play time, so it will benefit from both osu! and poe and from every other game that involve this skills (like tetris).

Last edited by kogilcane on Nov 24, 2017, 2:55:09 AM
if i may ask, can you let me know what you think is most to least important in Osu! and stuff like that
I usually do not read popular posts again after i made a comment on it, unless it's one of my own. I wish to have a Black robed Grim Reaper micro set in game one day, grant my wish, GGG
"
VoidExilePoE wrote:
if i may ask, can you let me know what you think is most to least important in Osu! and stuff like that

i'm sorry but i don't know ,both osu! and poe are complex tasks and they involve a lot of cerebral areas, btw as left handed i noticed that accuracy is really really important in Osu!, i have a lot of problems spinning the mouse cose i use the right hand for it
"
kogilcane wrote:
"
VoidExilePoE wrote:

i'm sorry but i don't know ,both osu! and poe are complex tasks and they involve a lot of cerebral areas, btw as left handed i noticed that accuracy is really really important in Osu!, i have a lot of problems spinning the mouse cose i use the right hand for it
i can relate with the problem of spinning the wheel, i'm right handed and i still can't do it, i always play with auto on and go in a clockwise direction
Last edited by VoidExilePoE on Nov 25, 2017, 7:58:53 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info