[3.0] +3 Fire staff Scorching Ray Trickster (MoM)

Introduction
Hey guise!

I'm fairly new to Path of Exile, started in June this year, played for about a week and had to stop because of school. I only started playing again in 3.0, mainly Templar and Trickster.

About the build, Shadow is one of my favourite class and i've tried a bunch of builds with it-ED, Blight even Flameblast totem (lul). I have most success with a Mathil Scorching Ray trickster character that i used in Harbinger (I got into Harbinger really late and therefore only played for the mask and shield, otherwise i just play in Standard because of OP legacy items). Anyway, i love Scorching Ray, but i wanted MOAR DAMAGE without going low life or RF. So i theorycrafted this build.

Disclaimer

This build has only been theory crafted and not yet put to use (I haven't saved up for a +3 Fire staff and a xoph's heart yet due to the Internet issue where i live (Viet Nam), however this will only take 3-4 days at most for even a casual player like me, at which time i will have completed the build and put up ingame stats. Another point is that most of the gears that i showed in my PoB is close/exact to the gears i already have (Perfect roll Kaom's Roots i bought cheap for 100c, dual 79% Pyre fore 5-10c each, 39% Kaom's Heart i have in Standard for 3.5 ex, perfect legacy Witchfire Brew i bought for 3 ex in Standard, most rare gears i got lucky enough and bought). HOWEVER, the build still works perfectly fine without almost perfect or perfect uniques with only miniscule changes in total damage, therefore making this build not too expensive tbh.

Summary
~6k5 life (7k with life jewels)
~about 2k mana MoM (less with aura, but i dont really need aura)
~about 700k Shaper DPS/>1.5mil trash DPS
Path of Building pastebin: https://pastebin.com/ngjz4DeN

PROS:
+Tanky: about 8.5~9k eHP=6.5~7k Life+~2k4 mana
+Immune to reflect
+Can do all map mods
+Good damage

CONS:
+Expensive gears: not Ahfack's level of gears but some items should be rather expensive nonetheless, i.e Kaom's Heart (about 3-4 ex), Xoph's Heart (about 2-3 ex), +3 Fire staff (about 8 ex), good rares (may cost up to 1-2 ex each)...
+No movement skills: Since we use both Kaom's Heart and Kaom's Root while wearing a staff, we have no slots left for movement skills nor can we use Shield Charge/Whirling Blades. However, this can be resolved by using dual Brightbeak and Leap Slam as gear switch for moving around.
+No aura: Sadly due to the nature of my build, we won't be able to socket in aura gems, however, it also enables us to use Clear Mind jewel. In the future, I might consider using unique rings with sockets like Essence Worm or the upcoming Hungry Loop, we will see.
+May have to use jewels to cap res if you choose Immortal Flesh and don't have good rares.(Further explanation below)

Gear
Due to not having a finalized character yet i will instead just explain my gear choices

Weapon: 6-link item level 55 staff with +1 to level of socketed gems and +2 to level of socketed fire gems with these multi mods: Spell damage, Fire damage, Lightning resistance (Because Pyre already gave me good Fire and Cold res i chose Lightning): As far as i know this is the most we can get out of our weapon slot, sacrificing our ability to use shield charge for a lot more damage.

To craft such a staff, check out the tutorial video from DeMiGodKingLoL (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsCFSMDKAjA) follow the same process but instead of +2 level to chaos gems, we aim for +2 level to fire gems instead. It's preferable to craft the staff yourself, saving about 1.5 ex (the whole process took ~4.5-5ex depends on luck) or you can just buy one on poe.trade for 6 ex. Do note you will also need to apply "Can have multiple crafted mod" from Lv8 Elreon which costs 2 ex and then craft increased fire damage, increased spell damage and res.

Chest: Kaom's Heart is BIS imo, gives us about 1k3~life, good damage and we don't need another 6-link chest because we are already using a staff.

Boots: A pair of Kaom's Roots is BIS, ~500 life, Unwavering Stance is just awesome for a channeling build because we can keep dealing damage. I opted for a perfect Kaom's Roots because i have other builds that will also uses it.
With GG gears i might also consider Seven-League Step for mapping, but tbh a normal shield charge SR build would've cleared faster anyway.

Belt: Immortal Flesh is a very good option for a build like this, good life, good regen at cost of reduced res. As you can see in my PoB i had to use jewels to cap my res (note that i also chose the lv 15 elemental weakness on my character to make sure i got maxed res in most situation). However, a good rare leather/heavy belt with 100+HP and 80-100 total resist is fine. I think i will use a rare belt tbh.
Gloves: Rare gloves with 80~HP and 80-100 total resist is fine.

Helmet: Rare helmet with 90~HP and 80-100 total resist is fine.

Rings: Pyre rings with good rolls (>75% burning damage) is fantastic here, gives you the best damage possible, including some resists. These rings are also good for the normal scepter+shield Scorching Ray build as a budget option.
A better, although a lot more expensive is to use dual opal rings crafted with Essence of Anger (best is Deafening, but will cost a lot), try to look for life>res>mana rolls

Amulet: Can't really think of anything better than a Xoph's Heart (Heart not Blood), gives decent life, some fire res, but most importantly the Ash debuff effect, which causes enemies to take 20% increased fire damage and slows them. Xoph's Blood will give more life but will makes you unable to use Orb of Storm for Elemental Equilibrium because of the Avatar of Fire mod. A rare marble amulet crafted with Essence of Anger is really good too but i prefer the slow on Xoph's Heart.

Flask: A Witchfire Brew is mandatory, obviously, just a huge boost to damage, i have a perfect Witchfire Brew in PoB but the damage difference is really hard to notice. The biggest power spike is the lv 21 vulnerability aura that makes enemies take more DoT.
The rest is up to you, personally i think i will use a Blood of the Karui since the greater our life is, the better it is. A life flask of Staunching is a must (probably Catalysed Eternal but not really a big deal), an Alchemist's quicksilver flask of Adrenaline is good for clearing. A mana flask of Heat. Situational flasks like Topaz flask of Grounding for Esh and U-Atziri, Ruby flasks for Xoph, etc.

Skill tree and explanation

I guess that's it for now, i will update this build whenever i can, especially once my connection got better (somewhere in the middle of December, thanks Satan)

P.S This is my first build so i think there's a lot of mistakes here and there, please tell me if you can, and also feel free to ask any questions you may have, thanks A LOT!!! ^^
Last edited by mobogame on Nov 21, 2017, 11:18:58 AM
Last bumped on Nov 21, 2017, 11:17:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info