terrace boss implementation

So the terrace boss is this plumed chimeral thing that summons devourers and then devours them to heal itself. If you just randomly kill things and let it devour its summons it is practically impossible to kill (for a char that is appropriately levelled and geared for t10 maps).
So I see basically three ways to kill it:
1) Use a single target skill and only attack the boss and leave the devourers alive. In terms of defense this is doable but in terms of targetting for the vast majority of builds it is not. For a number if indirect builds like summoners, totems, or traps and mines it is impossible. Builds try to target the whole screen if possible and switching a inc aoe for a conc effect or replacing a gmp by lmp will not suffice.
2) Use a build that doesn't leave corpses. If your build works that way, this is great but most builds don't and that it not something you can easily achieve by switching a support gem or so.
3) Use one of the three offering skills that devour corpses. This is what most builds will use. Unfortunately, even if you have an offering active, the boss will still get a significant number of the corpses. So you need significantly more dps than for other t10 maps and you need to be lucky so that he forgets to devour anything for a few seconds.

I really like the idea and the mechanic in general but the implementation is not well done here. This is a special mechanics boss, so if you don't understand the mechanics or igore them, you will get screwed, which is fine. But if you do understand the mechanics and counteract them, you should not be screwed anymore. Unless you happen to be one of the specific builds that automatically defeat this mechanic, you have to build around it and be way overpowered. So great idea, bad implementation.
Last bumped on Nov 21, 2017, 8:30:11 AM
"
quarague wrote:
But if you do understand the mechanics and counteract them, you should not be screwed anymore. Unless you happen to be one of the specific builds that automatically defeat this mechanic, you have to build around it and be way overpowered. So great idea, bad implementation.

Hoo boy, wait until you reach Necropolis boss...

Hate to be "that guy" but if you have trouble with Sallazzang, then by forum poster standards, you are not "appropriately leveled and geared for t10 maps..." Bit of a DPS test if you aren't willing to address his unique mechanic.

Personally I have no issues with DPS under par - Dominus knows my dps falls far, far under top meta level. Which is why I have to ask:

Did you realize you could have spent one or two gem sockets on an Offering skill and possibly CWDT to clear out corpses en masse and thereby prevent his devouring ability?
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Nov 20, 2017, 10:27:09 AM
I use devouring totem when fighting this boss.
It helps a little to lower his hp regeneration.

A similar annoying boss is that Voll variation, called Brittle emperor.
Frostbomb help here a lot.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on Nov 20, 2017, 10:52:53 AM
I have to agree with the other comments. This boss has never stood out to me as difficult. He's on the easy side.
Side note, 3.1 is going to be a huge map overhaul. There is no point in critiquing current map bosses.
Crit builds with just cold dmg or phys+hatred and would shatter everything while they facetank with VP. Max block gladiators take longer due to lower dps but they are exploding bodies on kill.

For Necropolis, gotta jump away from the bone cages.

The bosses that are really too hard for their tier? I would say:

T6 canyon, ramparts - two-shotting rain arrows, leap slam, long life
T8 cemetary - two-shotting rain arrows
T9 temple - huge slam, tiny space
T11 precinct - again those rain arrows, why the fark are they so lethal? The ST rogue seems to have high crit chance too
T13 sulphur waste - high freeze chance leap slam and tiny space, very long life

Basically all the warband leaders (shipyard, beacon, sulphur waste) have too much life but at least the Shipyard and Beacon boss can be facetanked with some flasks.

In addition, Quarry and most of the maps with spider bosses are too RIPPY for non-CI due to chaos dmg.

T12 Estuary and T13 Waterways are easy and have good layout. Only died once because I cornered the Estuary boss into the narrow zone and he shotgunned me with his tripleshot fireballs exploding off the wall. I wondered why ppl prefer Shaped Strand which is lower tier and the boss' blade flurry could be lethal sometimes.

"
Sinthetick wrote:
Side note, 3.1 is going to be a huge map overhaul. There is no point in critiquing current map bosses.

Strongly disagree? The last couple map overhauls didn't change anything about this boss either; its design is still pretty subpar. Largely non-threatening but needlessly long if you're not in tip-top shape.
I used to have a problem with that boss on one of my builds, went with a mediocre firestorm cwc character (still using tabula, really not impressive), and beat the regeneration easily. After that, I've only had builds with even higher dps and by far. If you have an offering / detonate dead totem, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info