So about that Volley gem...

Apparently, additional projectiles apply after the effect of this gem.

So... EK with Ring of Blades gives you 3 novas? EK + Trap + Multiple Traps + Cluster Trap with Ring of Blades gives you 6 traps with 3 novas per trap = 18 EK novas per skill use? And if you put that all in a Sire of Shards, you get 20 22 projectiles per nova? 360 396 projectiles per skill use?

Seems legit.
Last edited by suszterpatt on Nov 18, 2017, 7:48:04 AM
Last bumped on Nov 18, 2017, 12:20:56 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Well, it says projectiles fired from the user... that might just be to clarify that secondary projectiles like tshot and fork-spawned projectiles won't volley, but it could also imply it won't work with proxies, i.e. no traps or totems. Maybe.

It'll also probably still not enable shotgunning even with the projectiles fired from separate locations, although the sheer number of projectiles combined with aoe overlap would worry me greatly (as would tshot). Seems like that's a balance nightmare waiting to happen, and without much of a plus-side over LMP/GMP to anything that *can't* exploit that sorta overlap/tshot mechanic.
Last edited by Shppy on Nov 17, 2017, 8:51:09 PM
What I am curious about is what takes priority, volley or nova?
"
Shppy wrote:
Well, it says projectiles fired from the user... that might just be to clarify that secondary projectiles like tshot and fork-spawned projectiles won't volley, but it could also imply it won't work with proxies, i.e. no traps or totems. Maybe.

It'll also probably still not enable shotgunning even with the projectiles fired from separate locations, although the sheer number of projectiles combined with aoe overlap would worry me greatly (as would tshot). Seems like that's a balance nightmare waiting to happen, and without much of a plus-side over LMP/GMP to anything that *can't* exploit that sorta overlap/tshot mechanic.

Yeah, TS is another fun one:
- Endless Munitions/Deadeye ascendancy
- Death's Opus/RotC
- Throw in a +1 proj Drillneck and a Dying Sun if you're feeling luxurious
- Tornado Shot + Volley

8 additional projectiles -> 27 initial TS arrows, exploding into 81 secondary arrows. All of them dealing 75% base damage on a 2-link.

If this makes it into the game, I'm gonna be spamming the "our design team are experts" quote non-stop. :D
Last edited by suszterpatt on Nov 18, 2017, 7:48:41 AM
"
suszterpatt wrote:

8 additional projectiles -> 27 initial TS arrows, exploding into 81 secondary arrows. All of them dealing 75% base damage on a 2-link.

If this makes it into the game, I'm gonna be spamming the "our design team are experts" quote non-stop. :D

You know, now that I look back at that trailer a little more closely (actually a LOT more closely, had to pause and replay a lot to get a solid look), I don't think that it adds additional projectiles onto each source. I think the gem itself adds 2 projectiles in the normal fashion and divides them up between the sources.

Cuz early on, around 23 seconds into the trailer you can see burning arrow being used and it's firing a total of 7 projectiles, a couple cones of two and one cone of three. And if you look at the supports on the keybind bar, it's got GMP as a support (which combined with volley's +2 line would mean 7 total). And looking at the wording on the Volley gem, it just adds two projectiles with the same type of line as any other source, so there's not much reason to expect it to be different.

Also, the image you linked from the trailer... that's split arrow. I didn't really pay attention to what skill it was at first, but in retrospect split arrow *can't* fire as low as 3 projectiles per source if it did work this troublesome way we're worried about. All in all it just seems like the trailer had it looking deceptive because they were frequently using it with other significant sources of extra projectiles.

So yeah, looks like there's nothing much to worry about.

It does make me wonder what the point of the gem is though. It pretty much looks like a near-clone of LMP that just alters some trajectories. Unless it *can* make extra projectiles psuedo-shotgun in a more controlled fashion. And in thinking about it, when GGG eliminated 'real' shotgunning they did define shotgunning as hitting enemies by 'firing multiple projectiles from the same source at the same time'. So yeah, maybe the point is to enable a mild form of psuedo-shotgunning that can't run rampant though extra projectiles.
Last edited by Shppy on Nov 18, 2017, 11:38:09 AM
Yeah, I think you're on to something. At 1:44, you can see this:

That's a grouping of 2-3-3 on Split Arrow. So it looks like it just distributes projectiles between the 3 origin points, it doesn't add more than the 2 projectiles listed.

In that case, my suggestion would be to change the wording to "supported skills fire a third of their projectiles from you, and another third from either side" or something.

I don't think you'll be able to shotgun with this, I think the point is to just provide better coverage against enemies directly in front of you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info