about that ign-interview....

just feel like i need to get this off my chest...
one of the worst pieces of "gaming-journalism" i have ever seen.
after watching through all of this insufferable video i have come to the conclussion that chris wilson is not just a visionary game-designer, a competentent business-man but also the most patient and humble guy in videogame-development. whereas i always knew that IGN are just an excuse for "videogame-journalism" and probably paid by activision etc.

its just sad that GGG have to still defend poE and ALWAYS have it compared to diablo when in fact it has far surpassed it. yes, diablo was where it all started - but that was ages ago. its like treating a grown-up, accomplished man like a 14 years old and constantly comparing him to his great-grand-parents.

and IGN have no problem in hyping up ANY game that comes from certain publishers, they see past p2w-MTX, they even somewhat approve of them with unboxing-videos and that kinda "internet-videogaming-journalism"-BS - but then one of the first questions in this video is: "how much is this game? its free - nah, come on, there must a catch". oh it really is free? IGNs mind blown...

thoughout the whole video that IGN-guy mentioned diablo and destiny more than PoE and tried to put it as some benchmark for PoE - instead of just letting the game and chris speak for itself.

i really do believe that IGN are getting paid by activision, because with their games, they always just highlight the (few) positive aspects and play down or even just ignore the negative ones. plus they put out like five 10-minute-videos on destiny every day.
but then with a game like PoE they suddendly discover their inner "critic": how much does it cost, is it really really really worth the money, is it as "good" as the unsurpassable benchmark from blizzard etc etc.
its not just hypocritical, it is OBVIOUSLY over-the-top-hypocritical to an extent that it makes IGN look stupid.

i dont mean to sound condescending or lecture GGG (like i was in a position to do so...) but i am not half as polite and patient as the guys at GGG.
just dont do "interviews" with sh*tty outlets like IGN anymore. to someone who doesnt know PoE that video might have portraied PoE in a negative way, simply because of the IGN-guys approch and bias, he "criticized" and questioned PoE and GGG where he should have praised them or just let them speak for themselves.

GGG doesnt have to defend their game, what a ridiculous idea. PoE firmly stands on his own feet and has set the standard not just for ARPGs, character-customization, itemization, etc but also for f2p-games in general.
it really does infuriate me that after ALL THIS, after being nothing but a success-story for ~4 years, with not ONE stain in their games/ companies history - they still have to defend themselves to some IGN "gaming-journalist" and are being meassured against a UTTERLY casual, shallow p2p game that sh*ts on its heritage (diablo3) from a company that will put mtx in a game with a monthly-subscription payment-model and p2p-DLCs, ROFL.

you dont want to know what i would have replied to that guy, its a good thing i dont work in PR.

and PoE doesnt need the IGN-playerbase. let them have their destiny and lootboxes and whatever stupidity they voluntarily put up with. PoE is a thinking mans ARPG.
Last edited by PaoloPinkel on Nov 17, 2017, 8:31:45 AM
Last bumped on Nov 26, 2017, 10:51:28 PM
didnt watch it yet, but IGN always had obviously paid grades and shitty reviews . They were the prime example of why game journalism is bad before the political "gaming" nu-journalism became a thing.
my last time I ever gave attention to an article on these websites was an article on Baroque, and realizing that the reviewer doesnt even know what rogue-likes are and judged it a "bad rpg" because he couldnt play for shit. The majority of reviewers are idiots who judge things on personal taste instead of judging the game within its genre and its own goals, how well does it do X, etc. Nowadays we have the added political corruption on top of the monetary corruption, this is why games with shitty combat and braindead AI like that one open world game with the ugly ginger chick (forgot the name) get good grades.

Stop reading "professional" game reviews.

EDIT: eh, I just realized I was confusing IGN with gamespot, not that they are much different, these big game journos do not survive without selling out. though gamespot is THE cancer, so cancerous I just went to their website and it immediatly crashed my browser
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Nov 17, 2017, 7:13:21 PM
I haven't seen it, luckily. Not a fan of IGN anymore either. For reasons already stated.
Censored.
You mean this review?

Imo it was pretty good. People who played games journalist mentioned, actually can attract players from those genres.

Nevertheless if whole game will be played like in this video, than I am not sure how long will players want to stay in game..
Last edited by Rexeos on Nov 17, 2017, 5:30:28 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
As for the constant mentioning of other games, I'm afraid when your game is less-known, journos will take the cheap route of comparing it to more known ones to connect it to the 'zeitgeist' for the hordes.

You can't really say that Path of Exile is that much, in any less popular than it's "rivals".
Afterall, the Fall of Oriath announcement made it to reddit front page, and you don't get there by low popularity.

Also, I watched that "interview". If I ever had the chance, I'd like to give the reporter/interviewer/whatever a high five. To the face. With a chair. Twice.
Then again, that's a mean thing to do, and we're not supposed to be mean to other people, so I won't even if I could.
*secretly grabs the nearest chair*
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I know you want to defend your baby but the reality is PoE is still nowhere near the big leagues. Which is fine. It was never meant to be.

I'd say it's got big-league quality, but not big-league popularity.

I think you're implying this as well, but I do actually kind of hope it doesn't reach big-league popularity, because that implies a certain type of game design that may have to make sacrifices...

Unfortunately, it feels like a high number of those sacrifices have already been made, as if POE is striving for big-league popularity.

Well, I'm not the ones in the drivers' seats, so there's not much I could do but shoot the breeze.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Lol what is this wall of text complaining about? I saw the IGN interview; it was fine.

- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Well, a telling moment for me was when I was checking the news for WF and they very proudly announced they'd been nominated for 'best ongoing game' for The Game Awards. Pretty stiff competition: PUBG, Destiny 2, and of course Overwatch (which will win by virtue of its rabid vote-happy fanbase). I stopped to think, 'why isn't PoE on here?' But I didn't think very long. WF has been out for a shorter time than PoE and it's made *far* more advancements and evolutionary leaps. It also has a much more approachable cash shop that balances pay-for-convenience and pay-to-look-pretty. Strangely enough, I've come to understand that 100% zero pay to win is simply too lofty to make the big leagues. People LIKE paying to win if they can justify it to themselves with 'well, it's this or grind for 40 hours+ to get what I want'. Of course, this applies ONLY to free to play games. Either way, something about WF's monetisation sits sweetly between moral-indie 'lots of pretties fund us' and the typical 'we are happy to take your money to save you time' f2p approach.

(I removed part of the text just to avoid large quotes, not to focus solely on one part)

You (and several others) have been talking a lot about Warframe recently and every time it boggles my mind. First, I had to check, Warframe release date: March 25, 2013. PoE release date: October 2013. Both had long betas so it's not any different for that either.

Warframe did more in a shorter time frame? You clearly didn't see the first few years of Warframe, where pay2win was exceedingly common and in several cases, obligatory. I stopped playing in late 2015 because they did bad decisions after bad decisions. Horrible grinding events one after the other, where if you didn't log on for the random 30 min window you were supposed to, you were behind everyone by 30 hours of grinding (or conveniently, you could buy it). Exploits left and right that were tolerated for far too long, to the point where you could form meta groups and AFK farm for hours for a chance at the rarest cards.

I'll be honest, I haven't kept up to date on Warframe since 2016 so I have no idea what they have improved in the last 2 years. But I can assure you, they had a lot of things to make up for. You're walking into it without seeing the past, and if someone were to walk into PoE right now, I'm sure they would be just as much in awe at the game we have now.
https://youtu.be/6Y4fKXltYdc here. This ones better

I just started watching the interview you are talking about.

I think it's hilarious.
Last edited by ThunderBiome on Nov 24, 2017, 4:37:49 AM
"
bwam wrote:
Lol what is this wall of text complaining about? I saw the IGN interview; it was fine.

The interviewer asked stupid questions that he would never ask to the developer of an Activision game. OP said it like 3 times.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info